SkyTV at it again

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)
Page 5 of 9 First ... 2345678 ... Last

1. Post
    DishTV have just released their smartvu device, works alright. Has some limitations for now.

2. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    This is awesome, had no idea. Just a quick one - do you know if this lets me record as well? Cheers!

3. Post
    mmd wrote:
    This is awesome, had no idea. Just a quick one - do you know if this lets me record as well? Cheers!
    Yes.

4. Post
    Kayo has been working well enough so far. I've got the BlackCaps v Sri Lanka on the TV and Aus v India on the laptop.

5. Post
    Threarah wrote:
    Kayo has been working well enough so far. I've got the BlackCaps v Sri Lanka on the TV and Aus v India on the laptop.
    Assuming you're using a VPN?

6. Post
    mmd wrote:
    Assuming you're using a VPN?
    Yup

7. Post
    which one? if you don't mind me asking.

8. Post
    DarkCypher wrote:
    which one? if you don't mind me asking.
    PIA. Haven't had any buffering issues with 2 concurrent 1080p streams.

Ironic that it probably works better on our fibre internet than their NBN. Parallel importing live sport ftw :P

9. Post
    Just remember you'll still need the use of an Aussie mobile to signup DarkCypher.

10. Post
    yeah used a friends to set it up.

11. Post
    What if I dont have any friends?

12. Post
    This gave me a laugh:
    Sky TV says it paid "in excess of $200 million" to secure satellite capacity for the next 10 years through Optus.

Under the deal, Optus will provide SKY with satellite capacity to 2031. The current contract expires in 2021.

The satellite spend-up is guaranteed to draw snarks on social media at a time when more and more people are streaming video via the internet.

But Sky chief financial officer Jason Hollingworth says only satellite coverage can guarantee content, "particularly live sport, can be reliably delivered to 100 per cent of New Zealand."

Many will see that as a backhand dig at Spark, which will attempt to stream the 2019 Rugby World Cup and a raft of other sports events over the internet next year (though will also have free-to-air partner TVNZ as a backup).

Sky emphasises that although it is splashing out to extend its satellite deal, it is also investing in new delivery technologies, and bandwidth-hungry features like 4K and HDR quality video.

An Android-powered "puck" will be released in the New Year that will enable Sky subscribers to receive all live channels (as well as apps and on-demand content) via a broadband connection. Later in 2019, a fibre-friendly, app-only service is planned.

"The hybrid delivery of SKY's content via the satellite and internet is a key competitive advantage, particularly for sport," Hollingworth says.

13. Post
    Too little too late

14. Post
    They can’t just make a deal like that, their investors and board would have approved that kind of transaction
    Which goes to show how ****ed they are, their shareholders continue to believe satellite tv is the future of entertainment

Sky will disappear just like Cinemas and video rental stores

Sky thinks offering 4K hdr on 5 channels in 2021 while charging you $20/month for the privilege will be enough
    Right... Netflix has done 4K for years, Japan is doing 8k 22.2 streams

Sky is always behind the ball and continue to charge you an arm and leg for it

15. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Sky will disappear just like Cinemas and video rental stores
    Cinemas are still reasonably strong.

16. Post
    Anyone know why I all of a sudden have ALL Sky channels? Have only been on the basic sports package, but in the last 3 days everything is now open...

17. Post
    kopkiwi wrote:
    Anyone know why I all of a sudden have ALL Sky channels? Have only been on the basic sports package, but in the last 3 days everything is now open...
    They've unlocked most channels from Dec 24th until 6am on Monday.

18. Post
    Why is Seifert standing so far back to 124k deliveries.

19. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Which goes to show how ****ed they are, their shareholders continue to believe satellite tv is the future of entertainment
    That doesn't really make sense in the context of the presentation HELL KNIGHT quoted

20. Post
    For all the flaws of Sky tv, I'm starting to wish they still had the rights to F1. It starts next month and Spark still don't have a service ready.

21. Post
    I think I will have to find an alternative way to watch it.
    Even though they were just broadcasting the direct airing from Sky UK, it was fantastic coverage.

22. Post
    I don't watch it anymore, but I wonder whether the online feed with be in 4k?

Sky UK has a dedicated F1 channel and has it in 4k. This year they will be adding HDR too. Mind you they charge the equivalent of around 34 NZD for that channel, so I'd expect it to be decent.

23. Post
    Don't miss sky at all

24. Post
    Whatever anybody does, do not get a Vodafone TV. It's rubbish.

25. Post
    Colinnola wrote:
    For all the flaws of Sky tv, I'm starting to wish they still had the rights to F1. It starts next month and Spark still don't have a service ready.
    It gets worse, when it lauches TV app will be exclusive to Samsung for a limited time(open to all by the time RWC is here)