Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Sony allows cross-platform MP + cross-progression with other consoles

Fantastic news! The consumers have won today. This why it's important for gamers to publicly criticise when these companies do them dirty.

The first game is obviously Fortnite. I expect Rocket League to follow very soon and a PS4 port of Minecraft Bedrock within the coming months.
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018...tarting-today/
    The

2. Post
    Meh, couldn't care less tbh

3. Post
    hehe good. Bastards

4. Post
    Let the console wars begin proper

5. Post
    But good on Sony for throwing a bone to the lesser consoles, the switch in particular has long queues for fortnite so this will help em out, so yeah good on Sony for some free charity

6. Post
    I don't really like Fortnite but will be cool being able to play with my daughter who owns a Switch.

I take it Fortnite is the first step to allowing cross platform for all MP games in the future.

7. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    I don't really like Fortnite but will be cool being able to play with my daughter who owns a Switch.

I take it Fortnite is the first step to allowing cross platform for all MP games in the future.
    I highly doubt we'll see much games get cross platform support. Other then huge games like rocket league etc

8. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Meh, couldn't care less tbh
    This. I never saw it as a huge loss. Its a nice to have.

9. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    This. I never saw it as a huge loss. Its a nice to have.
    It's more than a nice to have, pooling the number of active players across the platforms increases the longevity of the game.

10. Post
    DW wrote:
    It's more than a nice to have, pooling the number of active players across the platforms increases the longevity of the game.
    THIS! So much this! Combining the platform player bases is nothing but good for the games' industry, and the viability of online competitive/co-op gaming. Success here could see a more widespread adoption. I know many are anti-Fortnite for any number of reasons, but as a first step its pretty damn significant.

11. Post
    I wonder if Destiny 2 will go with this since PS4 got the exclusives......MINT for longevity and the QoL of a game: wait times down, love it!

12. Post
    I would buy a PS4 if the majority of mp games were cross play, since the majority of my mates have the xbone. I want those PS4 exclusives though..

13. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    I would buy a PS4 if the majority of mp games were cross play, since the majority of my mates have the xbone. I want those PS4 exclusives though..
    that wouldn't work cause i doubt you can play with your mates across consoles, how would you form a party?? its probably just random matchmaking

14. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    that wouldn't work cause i doubt you can play with your mates across consoles, how would you form a party?? its probably just random matchmaking
    You can in Fortnite. xbox, switch, pc all playing together in the same group. havent played with ps4 yet as its new.

15. Post
    ...and cross-game party chat isn't an issue because you can just use Discord running off a phone. 5 years ago that might've been a deal breaker for people.

16. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    ...and cross-game party chat isn't an issue because you can just use Discord running off a phone. 5 years ago that might've been a deal breaker for people.
    I can just see everyone queuing up to party chat through their phones instead of using the built-in chat capabilities of the platform they're on....

Yeah, nah.

17. Post
    Ard Righ wrote:
    I can just see everyone queuing up to party chat through their phones instead of using the built-in chat capabilities of the platform they're on....

Yeah, nah.
    You mean like PC gamers have been doing for 20 odd years

18. Post
    Denker wrote:
    wut? ive never used my phone

19. Post
    Denker wrote:
    How would this even work? I've got headphones on connected to my PC/console while I'm playing a game, and Discord is running on my phone? How do I hear the Discord chat?

20. Post
    Ummm... he was probably meaning that PC gamers have been using third part apps for chat. Not specifically using their phones.

21. Post
    Nerin wrote:
    Ummm... he was probably meaning that PC gamers have been using third part apps for chat. Not specifically using their phones.
    He specifically said "you can just use Discord running off a phone".

22. Post
    Yes, Eva said that.

Then this was said: "I can just see everyone queuing up to party chat through their phones instead of using the built-in chat capabilities of the platform they're on.... "

Then Denker responded that PC gamers have been using other chat solutions than the built in platform ones for years.

I may be entirely wrong here, and Denker may indeed have been speaking rubbish. But if we make the assumption that he was speaking generally rather than specifically, what he said makes a lot of sense.

Wouldn't it be nice if we tried to understand each other and allowed others to be less than perfect in their phrasing? Wouldn't that work better for communication than just shutting everyone else down? I get carried away with stuff too. But I would also like others to just give me a break and not scrutinize every word and phrase. It would be nice if they made the effort of trying to understand rather than leaping to the attack. It would be... reasonable.

But as you were. Forget I said anything. I wasn't trying to start an argument. Just trying to offer some clarity on a point of confusion.

23. Post
    Fortnite has in-game platform agnostic party system with chat . If you're playing the game with someone then in-game options should be sweet.

You're in the woods and have to fend for yourself if you want to do cross-game chat, eg have mundane convos like you would in a phone call. This would be easy peasy if Discord was on any of the consoles but it ain't. Console manufacturers don't want certain 3rd party apps in their ecosystems for various obvious reasons.

Luckily we have popular messaging apps like Discord on PC and mobile and they're really easy to use. People need a PC and/or a smart mobile device to effectively function in modern society, so it's not a huge ask to install another app or use a web-based version accessible through most web browsers.

DW wrote:
    How would this even work? I've got headphones on connected to my PC/console while I'm playing a game, and Discord is running on my phone? How do I hear the Discord chat?
    Use normal speakers when playing. Pair a small Bluetooth earpiece with your phone and wear that under your headphone cup. That's just a couple ideas off the top of my head, this shit ain't hard.

Ard Righ wrote:

Yeah, nah.
    If someone has a good enough friend on another system they want to communicate with then they'll go the extra mile.

Also Discord is really easy to use. Stop assuming that everybody is a Boomer just because you are.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 7th October 2018 at 9:37 am.

24. Post
    Voice chat doesn't work between platforms?

25. Post
    Voice chat does work. I just setup cross play between my PS4 and my daughters Switch yesterday & played some Fortnite together. Just plugged a headset into the Switch and I used my headset on the PS4 and it worked fine.

As Eva mentioned the party system & chat options are handled in-game. Didn't bother with the app as dont think it supports Fortnite yet anyway.