Page 1 of 3 123 Last

1. Thumbs down

Is my Gpu Dead?

So was gaming and then my system just randomly restarted.
    But when restarting nothing would show on screen (no signal), checked GPU fans to see if they spin on startup and didn't, so swapped monitor to onboard but nothing would show still. Shut pc off waited about 15-30mins and rebooted with onboard.

GPU doesn't seem to be detected, removed all old drivers and stuff using DDU. Tried reinstalling the Drivers but can't coz it cannot detect the GPU, removed the GPU and re seated it tried again but still not detecting.
    Tried switching bios too.

I have a Sapphire Radeon RX 470 Nitro+ OC 2xHDMI 2xDP 8GB bought on 17 Aug 2016

What else can i try?

2. Post
    Different slot?

3. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Different slot?
    This. Try it in a different PC too if you have a bitser or a workbench PC.

(don't put a potentially faulty card in another person's gaming pc )

4. Post
    Possibly also check PSU...

5. Post
    tried another slot still nothing, its weird, never had any issues before with it and the all of a sudden.

Don't have any other pc's around

6. Post
    Does the card smell new, dusty, or burned plastic?

If you really think it's dead after your investigations, bake it in the oven. Find a Youtube guide first though, the heat-sink shroud and all plastic parts have to be removed. I've resurrected a few "dead" cards this way.

7. Post
    WhangaDan wrote:
    Does the card smell new, dusty, or burned plastic?

If you really think it's dead after your investigations, bake it in the oven. Find a Youtube guide first though, the heat-sink shroud and all plastic parts have to be removed. I've resurrected a few "dead" cards this way.
    can't tell, don't think it has a burning smell, the logo led light it still working and the switch to change it's modes still works.

8. Post
    If you can test with another psu definitely do that before buying new components.

Maybe take the card to a friend's place and chuck it into his system.

I remember when my psu got old my gpu wouldn't start anymore.

It had essentially lost its 750w rating as it was 5 years old and wasn't able to take the 7970 anymore.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

9. Post
    So tested it out, it's the card that died.

Chucked it into my friends rig, wouldn't boot.
    Chucked his gtx 1060 into mine works fine.

Question is being only 2 months since the warranty ended, would i be able to make a case for getting it repaired or replaced?
    Or even under CGA?

10. Post
    How old is the gpu?

Normally gpu warranties are quite long 3-4 years and if it’s died after that much time then I’d say no that falls outside of the cga

11. Post
    huntakillaz wrote:
    So tested it out, it's the card that died.

Chucked it into my friends rig, wouldn't boot.
    Chucked his gtx 1060 into mine works fine.

Question is being only 2 months since the warranty ended, would i be able to make a case for getting it repaired or replaced?
    Or even under CGA?
    Two months after the warranty you are still covered by the CGA but it can become a battle depending on who you're dealing with.

12. Post
    it was bought bought on 17 Aug 2016
    Sapphire warranty is 2 years
    so 2 years 2 months exact today is the age.
    The gpu's circuit kinda works coz the led light circuitry is still working.

yeah i expect at least 3-5yrs for a gpu, this is the first time I've had a gpu fail under 5yrs

13. Post
    Gutted man

Do you know what sorta temps the card was hitting? In other words, how is your case airflow.

14. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    Gutted man

Do you know what sorta temps the card was hitting? In other words, how is your case airflow.
    can't remember exactly, HWINFO now shows my friends gpu only.
    But yeah always made sure the gpu was in reasonable temps, case airflow was good.

Cpu averages around 70 and max it ever got was 85 if that's an indicator

15. Post
    How much dust was sitting on the PCB?

Bake it. Nothing to lose, everything to gain. Go watch a Youtube video on how to do that right now.

16. Post
    I don't think baking will fix this one.

17. Post
    I don't understand how sticking your video card in an oven became the default solution to all graphics card problems...

18. Post
    Baking only ever temporarily fixes the card anyway. It will die again until you re-oven it.

19. Post
    brand wrote:
    I don't understand how sticking your video card in an oven became the default solution to all graphics card problems...
    All graphics card problems? He said it's dead.

Throw in the bin, or...

20. Post
    WhangaDan wrote:
    How much dust was sitting on the PCB?
    barley any cleaned my case and components only 2 months back when i got new fans for it.

I'll got CGA route instead

21. Post
    So pc shop said

Just checked your invoice. The RX470 which you purchased is out of warranty. So our supplier will not accept we sent it to do the RMA(Warranty process). But you can try to direct contact with Sapphire, if Sapphire can provide a RMA number for you, we can try to use that RMA number to do the warranty from our supplier.

So would i talk CGA directly to them or to sapphire?
    Last edited by huntakillaz; 23rd November 2018 at 3:01 pm.

22. Post
    How far out of warranty, two months or so? I'd lean towards CGA talk, but others may have experience in the same situation.

23. Post
    It is up to the seller to honor the CGA, they can't palm you off to the manufacturer. I think it is reasonable a GPU should last 4-5 years.

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles...guarantees-act

Generally speaking, this means the retailer that sold you the goods or services must sort out the problem. If the stitching comes apart on your fairly new shoes, you donít have to track down the manufacturer or importer, you simply take them back to the shop.

24. Post
    huntakillaz wrote:
    So pc shop said

So would i talk CGA directly to them or to sapphire?
    Very poor service IMO. Manufacturers warranty periods are pretty meaningless with the CGA behind you. I'd speak to a manager if I were you. Do not attempt to bake it or do anything that will give them another excuse to not help you.

How long you can expect your goods to last

If you've looked after your purchase according to the product's instructions you can expect it to last beyond warranty.

For example, if you've got a computer and the warranty is for 1 year, that doesn't mean that you expect a new computer to only last that long. It is reasonable to expect that a new computer would last for several years if it's been taken care of.
    https://www.govt.nz/browse/consumer-...ve-a-warranty/

25. Post
    I'd basically just contact the shop (assuming they're in NZ) and say, "I understand it's out of warranty, but realistically there's no reasonable expectation that a GPU would only ever last exactly its warranty period and expect to throw it in the bin on exactly two years. If that's the case it should be called a lifespan and not a warranty. A warranty period is usually, 'We absolutely guarantee, no questions asked, it will work this amount of time but it should last longer' and as a result I think I have a pretty good case under the CGA. Please have a look at the card and address the issue."