1. Post

I started a VR arcade

I started a VR arcade called 'The VR Club' in Takapuna, Auckland.

I was hooked on VR back when I got my own Vive in early 2017, and that same day some neighbourhood kids I had never met before were knocking on the door to play with it! That was when I knew it would be popular. I toyed with the idea of a small popup at my local community hall, then found that there was already an arcade running in Mt Roskill, so I worked there for a short stint. I've now been open for business with my own arcade for three months and have seen wonderful growth and community feedback already.

What does worry me though is being able to pay the bills. While my prices are fairly high it's no less value than other arcades, and being able to provide multiplayer games in an open and welcoming environment (as opposed to a dark cybercafe dungeon), and the relatively high prices to get VR at home (still), and the addictive nature of VR and many of the games, means I've already got repeat customers and regulars.

Marketing is my biggest weakness. I have very little budget left over for it and it often feels like I'm shooting blindly hoping something will stick. Plus I'm working there myself 80+ hours a week so I don't have much time go door-knocking.

I am also a bit of a dev myself, animation specifically. I've got two VR games in the works, one of which is the HALF-LIFE 2 VR mod. If you're an old-school gamer you'll surely have fond memories blasting the combine! Swinging that crowbar in VR with your actual arms is incredibly satisfying. My arcade will be the first place in the world you'll be able to try it out ahead of its general public release, so if you're keen be sure to keep an eye on my facebook page. I've tried contacting Gameplanet several times over the past few months about this but they have yet to reply.

The website is www.vrclub.co.nz which has all the info on game selection (I update the menu monthly, adding new games and removing the unpopular ones). There's almost 30 games now. I offer a "walk the plank" game, called Richie's Plank Experience, completely free for first time customers.

Can take online bookings, I have group discounts, and even have monthly membership subscriptions available as better value for regular customers with exclusive perks (and occasionally I'll test new games with members). I do bday parties/corporate functions, ran a VR eSports tournament in August, will be taking part in the local "active aging expo" for seniors next month, and the christmas carnival in December.

Any ideas and feedback especially for marketing would be great, or if you just want to chat about VR definitely hit me up!

2. Post
    Inb4 advertising ban.

Former The Cave worker?

3. Post
    That website. Oh dear.

4. Post
    All the best with your endeavour. I imagine the initial financial outlay for gear must have been considerable. It shows in the poor quality of your website I'm afraid.
    Also, your logo is pretty pants and already dated, but not in a cool retro way.

I'd offer to redesign your site, but it sounds like the coffers are bare. I'd be more than happy to design you a better logo if you're interested though.

5. Post
    Vive PROs?

6. Post
    The website is so hard to find any information.
    As soon as I scrolled down a tiny bit I was hit with 2 pop ups. Instant close the site.

7. Post
    TatonkaBill wrote:
    Inb4 advertising ban.

Former The Cave worker?
    What advertising? It's a story about me.

No never worked for The Cave, this is completely my own endeavour.

Privoxy wrote:
    That website. Oh dear.
    What about it?

Mancubus wrote:
    All the best with your endeavour. I imagine the initial financial outlay for gear must have been considerable. It shows in the poor quality of your website I'm afraid.
    Also, your logo is pretty pants and already dated, but not in a cool retro way.

I'd offer to redesign your site, but it sounds like the coffers are bare. I'd be more than happy to design you a better logo if you're interested though.
    Are you negging me for a job?

Equity wrote:
    Vive PROs?
    No, I'm using the original Vives. This is because HTC doesn't sell replacement parts, so if a customer broke a cable or controller I'd be at the mercy of their warranty support which can take weeks to months for repairs. The only other choice in that situation is to buy a whole new bundle. So neither is a smart prospect for a business. I'll have the Pimax 5K+ soon, and will see how their product support shakes out next year if it's worthwhile to upgrade to their product line.

Markuchi wrote:
    The website is so hard to find any information.
    As soon as I scrolled down a tiny bit I was hit with 2 pop ups. Instant close the site.
    There should only be one popup. What information were you looking for?

8. Post
    Negging you for a job? No. Trying to do you a favour? Yeah.
    I do this stuff for a living, as do at least one of the other commenters. Your website sucks balls and your logo isn't much better.
    You can get staunch about it if you want, that's entirely your prerogative. But I sent your site to 3 people today who would be potential customers and they all said they wouldn't go there because it looked unprofessional.

9. Post
    Missed out on calling it the VRcade.

10. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    Missed out on calling it the VRcade.
    http://www.vrcade.nz

Better website too.

11. Post
    Mancubus wrote:
    http://www.vrcade.nz

Better website too.
    That place looks pretty mean.

::edit::

And waaay ****in cheaper.

12. Post
    Shoulda gone with ML.

13. Post
    Website is pretty terrible, and in this day and age of Wordpress I genuinely don't understand how it's possible to make a bad one.

So many good free themes.

I'm guessing you're from a non-English speaking country. I was amazed at how generally terrible websites in Hong Kong and China are, especially the former where good internet connections have been around for eons.

NZ has a surprisingly high standard when it comes to websites from my experience dealing with other countries.

14. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    I'm guessing you're from a non-English speaking country. I was amazed at how generally terrible websites in Hong Kong and China are, especially the former where good internet connections have been around for eons.
    Nope, he's local - https://www.ilovetakapuna.co.nz/what...e-the-vr-club/

15. Post
    Pay a bit of money and get a better looking logo and website.

16. Post
    I work just around the corner for you. Have been meaning to come check it out and see how it is.

17. Post
    Thanks for the feedback on the website guys, I hear you loud and clear. It serves its function for now (online bookings and info), so I'll look into a refreshed design later down the line. Sorry if I got too defensive earlier

18. Post
    Website seemed ok to me, easy to book and view info, but It would be worth some work

Getting on grabone or groupon with a deal or two might be good. I never knew vr cafe's existed until I saw one on grabone (same with cat cafe's, lol). I ended up buying a voucher and checking it out when I saw one. Everything was in Chinese at the VR cafe I went to, which wasn't so great, lol.

Anyway I have my own vive setup now. Delux Audio headset + Gear VR lens modded. Love the potential of VR, a lot more to come content to come into the VR space, I'm sure.

BTW, how many lighthouses do you use per VR pod? I believe the VR cafe I went to just used the 1 Lighthouse per pod.

19. Post
    aLi3nZ wrote:
    Website seemed ok to me, easy to book and view info, but It would be worth some work

Getting on grabone or groupon with a deal or two might be good. I never knew vr cafe's existed until I saw one on grabone (same with cat cafe's, lol). I ended up buying a voucher and checking it out when I saw one. Everything was in Chinese at the VR cafe I went to, which wasn't so great, lol.

Anyway I have my own vive setup now. Delux Audio headset + Gear VR lens modded. Love the potential of VR, a lot more to come content to come into the VR space, I'm sure.

BTW, how many lighthouses do you use per VR pod? I believe the VR cafe I went to just used the 1 Lighthouse per pod.
    I've started on BookMe recently, I find they are quite easy to work with and it's provided a modest boost in sales.

I'm using two lighthouses for 4 VR stations (and another pair for the fifth station). It does result in some occasional occlusion but haven't had any complaints. I'm hoping to move to lighthouse 2.0 with the Pimax headsets one day (I'm not a fan of the Vive Pro for several reasons not just the price) to eliminate those issues. I've got one Pimax 5K+ ordered through the Kickstarter so hopefully soon than later.

Also backed the Cybershoes Kickstarter for an eventual seated 6th VR station (and have a decent HOTAS for this one already too). Also have a couple of Vive trackers for foot tracking, Hyper Blaster, table tennis paddle etc. for some small extra gimmicks