Game Of The Year 2018 Discussion Thread

Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
(8 votes)
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

1. Post
    Crow#Zero wrote:
    So far, it's a toss up between:

Firewall Zero on PS4 (like a VR version of Rainbow Six Siege)
    Dead Cells (Switch)

Smash Ultimate coming December 7 which I think will take the #1 spot for me.
    Yep, after 2 weeks of play Smash is definitely my GOTY. While online matchmaking, lobbies etc really need improving, I've had so much fun with the game.

2. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    they should not give it to R2D2 for Game of the Year. The controls and gunplay in that game is atrocious.
    100% agree with this, I tried to like it, like really really tried. But it just feels horrible to play, just my opinion.

3. Post
    God of War just won GOTY from IGN

RDR2 losing in the dust to an exclusive ps4 game
    Multiplatform usually win so that tells you how damn good GoW is to be the best

4. Post
    Digital Foundry GOTY, they have 8 games on their countdown list
    PS4 exclusives take up half the games on the list

5. Post
    do people really care about who says what is goty?

6. Post
    Not particularly, its usually only the opinion of one individual on each site. What's more important is what you think.

For me it's definitely God of War but I still haven't picked up Red Dead yet, too many games and not enough time.

7. Post
    some game developers shared their game of the year lists.

Cory Barlog director of God of War at SIE Santa Monica Studio.

Spider-Man
    Celeste
    Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
    Red Dead Redemption II
    Detroit: Become Human

Rod Fergusson the studio head of The Coalition which is currently working on Gears of War 5.

God of War
    Monster Hunter: World
    Forza Horizon 4
    Red Dead Redemption II
    Beat Saber

Ralph Fulton the creative director at Playground Games, which released Forza Horizon 4 this year.

God of War
    Dead Cells
    Spider-man
    Clash Royale
    Sea of Thieves

Koji Igarashi known for his work on the Castlevania series and is currently directing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.
    Yo-kai Watch World
    God of War
    Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner M∀RS
    Detroit: Become Human
    Identity V

Yuya Tokuda the director for Monster Hunter: World for Capcom.

Red Dead Redemption II
    Fortnite
    Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
    Dead by Daylight
    Hearthstone

8. Post
    Cory a Yakuza fan, my guy.

9. Post
    God of War wins GOTY from TIME

Rdr2 got 5th place which seems about right given the games issues that prevent it from being a masterpiece

http://time.com/5455710/best-video-g...rce=reddit.com

10. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    God of War wins GOTY from TIME

Rdr2 got 5th place which seems about right given the games issues that prevent it from being a masterpiece

http://time.com/5455710/best-video-g...rce=reddit.com
    Jesus need some tissue and Vaseline?

11. Post
    ludez wrote:
    It wouldn't be Grim is he wasn't masturbating over something he puts a lot of personal value in. I expect its low self-esteem or the need to feel validated due to some deep-seated insecurities. From the wank about how much he spends of hardware, or the constant need to validate his choice of console I am not certain that what we're seeing here isn't a cry for help.

There was a whole bunch of amazing games this year. From GoW to RDR2. Tetris Effect to Pillars of Eternity 2. Indie greats like Into the Breach and Dead Cells. And so many more. We've had a couple of stellar years. 2019 is looking to shape up nicely too from the look of things.

12. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Jesus approves, who art in heaven

13. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    It wouldn't be Grim is he wasn't masturbating over something he puts a lot of personal value in. I expect its low self-esteem or the need to feel validated due to some deep-seated insecurities. From the wank about how much he spends of hardware, or the constant need to validate his choice of console I am not certain that what we're seeing here isn't a cry for help.

There was a whole bunch of amazing games this year. From GoW to RDR2. Tetris Effect to Pillars of Eternity 2. Indie greats like Into the Breach and Dead Cells. And so many more. We've had a couple of stellar years. 2019 is looking to shape up nicely too from the look of things.
    Pretty sure it's him just validating everything in his life he enjoys or has value in. Good on him I guess but he is the literal definition of a fanboy.

14. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Pretty sure it's him just validating everything in his life he enjoys or has value in. Good on him I guess but he is the literal definition of a fanboy.
    No Vaseline for you

15. Post
    ludez wrote:
    If he was 14 then maybe. But this sort of behaviour from an adult... is a little less able to be shrugged off imo.
    IST is a fanboy in the best possible way, and I love him for it. Grim is an elitist is the worst possible way. the constant need to shit talk anything not in his wheelhouse and constantly reiterate that the thing he likes is "great" indicates something far more problematic than just being a fan of something.

16. Post
    If he want to be like that then who are we to judge.. freedom of speech and all that..

17. Post
    |icED-e@RtH| wrote:
    If he want to be like that then who are we to judge.. freedom of speech and all that
    Of course he can. Really wouldn't be GP if Grim didn't go balls deep on his most recent flex.

18. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    If he was 14 then maybe. But this sort of behaviour from an adult... is a little less able to be shrugged off imo.
    IST is a fanboy in the best possible way, and I love him for it. Grim is an elitist is the worst possible way. the constant need to shit talk anything not in his wheelhouse and constantly reiterate that the thing he likes is "great" indicates something far more problematic than just being a fan of something.
    True really well put.

19. Post
    |icED-e@RtH| wrote:
    If he want to be like that then who are we to judge..
    He can say what he wants but we are equally free to judge him for it...

20. Post
    God of war was gonna win it for me until RDR 2 released and not only won but imo just blew it away. Its my game of the generation- Overtaking Uncharted 4.
    I don't get the control /gunplay argument - Imo the controls on RDR 2 suit the game perfectly. The character feels heavy. The horse riding is a joy.. Fast travel is unnecessary because unlike games like the witcher and Assasin Creed, the travelling itself is extremely fun. To be honest, its gonna be hard to play any open world games this gen after playing RDR 2 as it will feel like a joke/unnatural open world.

Its in my top 10 games of all time (too hard to pick 1 ). Just incredible.
    10/10 does not do it justice.. as I'd give god of war 9.2/10.. but the difference for me is RDR 2 is more than 3 times as good as anything released this year so its closer to a 30/10..

21. Post
    Usergame wrote:
    God of war was gonna win it for me until RDR 2 released and not only won but imo just blew it away. Its my game of the generation- Overtaking Uncharted 4.
    I don't get the control /gunplay argument - Imo the controls on RDR 2 suit the game perfectly. The character feels heavy. The horse riding is a joy.. Fast travel is unnecessary because unlike games like the witcher and Assasin Creed, the travelling itself is extremely fun. To be honest, its gonna be hard to play any open world games this gen after playing RDR 2 as it will feel like a joke/unnatural open world.

Its in my top 10 games of all time (too hard to pick 1 ). Just incredible.
    10/10 does not do it justice.. as I'd give god of war 9.2/10.. but the difference for me is RDR 2 is more than 3 times as good as anything released this year so its closer to a 30/10..
    Yeah I have to put rdr2 right up there with my all timee favorite games. Probably my top all my time to be honest

22. Post
    After mulling this over for most of December: My GOTY is most definitely God of War.

Kratos' journey with Atreus was mesmerizing from the first time I booted up the game....it felt amazing playing as the Father and Son duo during my 40 odd hours with it, absolutely spellbinding and a real testament to hard work and creative genius.

This is closely followed by RDR2 (story was truly amazing, gameplay didn't gel with me 100% though) and Divinity OS2 Definitive Edition.

I would probably say that DOS2 DE is an even better gaming experience for me than God of War (currently playing it 2nd playthrough, Lone Wolf Tactician is kicking my ass!)....but since the OG released in 2017, I reckon it's better to give it to a true-blue 2018 release. So many other games worthy of mention however: Smash Ultimate is really good (GF got it for me for Xmas, have been loving the balls off of it), Destiny: Forsaken is my most played game of 2018 by a long shot...really great return to form, and Monster Hunter: World was a brilliant time, albeit a bit too grindy after 100 hours (says the guy who loves Destiny, lol).

Another awesome year in gaming, 2019 looks tasty too... reckon there could be some surprises there from the games a lot of people don't expect to be great, like Days Gone, Division 2, Code Vein, Metro: Exodus, Anthem and Sekiro...should be a good-un fam

23. Post
    Kog wrote:
    how many of you only play AAA games?
    Yeah it's me. I love to play over the weekend.

24. Post
    Google agrees with author of thread after inputting 'top games of 2018'. The only difference - it places Fallout 76 on the 5th position. Not sure if new Fallout was successful at all.

25. Post
    God of War, Yakuza 0, AC:Origins, RDR2, Spiderman,Detriot