1. Post

[charity forums] Hard body lures for subsistence fishermen in Tabon, Philippines.

Hey Guys,

About eight years ago this forum generously donated a bunch of old fishing gear for me to take to the Phils. Im doing it again in six weeks (21st December). However, I'm really only interested in hard body lures.

My reasoning follows:

- Hard body lures last longer, last time I took a bunch of soft body lures. I'm told they made them last as long as they could, but they were less than ideal.
    - The vast majority of fishermen in this village use hard body crank lures. It's what they know, and it works for them. No point fixing something that isn't broken.
    -You can't buy a hard body crank lure in Dipolog, the nearest city, for anything less than two months wages for a fisherman. Losing a lure is basically losing a livelihood.

In my experience with NZ anglers, hard body lures spend most of their time at the bottom of the tacklebox, rarely being used. If you're interested, go through your tackle box and set aside anything you find that you think might be useful. Send me a PM and I shall give you my address. I'll even reimburse your postage if you're hard up.

Things I am not interested in:

-sinkers, they don't use them.
    -fishing line, it's cheap enough over there.
    -Jigs, most reef species are fished out. These guys target Pelagic and Semi-pelagic. Pandawan and Tuna are kings.
    -soft baits of any description. These guys need something that will last for years, not a few strikes. And they will make them last for years.

How will these be distributed:

Pretty simple, I'm going to give them to the Bangarai of Tabon. He is basically the village mayor. He knows all the families, and he knows who needs a bit of help and who is trying to take advantage. He will hand them out as he sees fit.

Why just one village: Because im just one man, and my step-mum lives there.

end.

2. Post
    I'm not much of a fisho so I'll be of not much help. But. You could try asking on the "NZ Fish Hunt Dive" Facebook page. I'm sure you'll get some people willing to help you out.

3. Post
    Nah, we did this purely through GP last time, we'll do it again this time. I already have a bunch of lures of my own to take with me. I don't particularly want to be flooded with gear as im already taking a bunch of baby clothes up for my ... step-aunt?

4. Post
    You might be better off trying to raise money and buying some off Aliexpress.

5. Post
    phred wrote:
    Nah, we did this purely through GP last time, we'll do it again this time. I already have a bunch of lures of my own to take with me. I don't particularly want to be flooded with gear as im already taking a bunch of baby clothes up for my ... step-aunt?
    Okay.