Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Which companies to avoid?

I'm currently with spark and it looks to be the most expensive. (I'm on ADSL)

Glimp.co.nz has an exclusive offer with Orcon which nets to $931.28 for 12 months (1222.4/yr post offer) compared to $1426.92 with spark.

1. If I switched to Orcon will the spark modem work?
    2. Orcon states "Free Rental Modem included
    $14.95 postage and packaging charge applies for the modem.
    We'll send you a modem to use while with us, you just need to send it back when you are done.
    "
    Does this mean I have to pay per monthly a rental fee for the modem?
    3. Is spark overpriced and should I switch companies?

Thank you.

EDIT: contacted Orcon and they said they recommend to use the orcon modem, implicitly implying that the spark modem will work, I guess. Also, there's no monthly fees for the modem. So that just leaves the question. Should I make the switch to orcon or any other provider? Slingshot is fractionally cheaper but my gut tells me slingshot is not the greatest?
    Last edited by Anroid; 12th November 2018 at 10:22 am.

2. Post
    Orcon and Slingshot are both owned by Vocus. I personally think both are rubbish ISPs in terms of speeds due to lack of overall capacity on their network and customer service compared to Spark.

$931.28/year is $77.60/month. Have you considered Skinny (owned by Spark) which is $73/month? Zero connection fees if you sign up for a 12 month contract and a far better ISP than those 2.

3. Post
    Linkzor wrote:
    Orcon and Slingshot are both owned by Vocus. I personally think both are rubbish ISPs in terms of speeds due to lack of overall capacity on their network and customer service compared to Spark.

$931.28/year is $77.60/month. Have you considered Skinny (owned by Spark) which is $73/month? Zero connection fees if you sign up for a 12 month contract and a far better ISP than those 2.
    The $931.28/year is only for the first year (glimp.co.nz offer), then it's 1222.4/yr.
    Unfortunately skinny only offers naked broadband. Apparently a landline is approx $50.

What about vodafone? $1128.96 per/yr, although a 24 month contract.

Regarding speeds, I'm currently getting around 400 KB/sec, so average ISP speeds may be irrelevant as I'm on the low end of the scale, thus avoiding ISP speed discrepancies? (speculation)

4. Post
    You poor bastard, 400!

For telephone you can use 2talk, if the ISP modem allows third party VOIP. I don't know what the deal is with mentioned ISP's as I'm with Bigpipe naked (fibre) and I organised my phone line with 2talk. $11.50/month.

5. Post
    Anroid wrote:
    The $931.28/year is only for the first year (glimp.co.nz offer), then it's 1222.4/yr.
    Unfortunately skinny only offers naked broadband. Apparently a landline is approx $50.

What about vodafone? $1128.96 per/yr, although a 24 month contract.

Regarding speeds, I'm currently getting around 400 KB/sec, so average ISP speeds may be irrelevant as I'm on the low end of the scale, thus avoiding ISP speed discrepancies? (speculation)
    Where are you located and how much data do you use in a month? Those speeds are pretty bad for 2018 and I'd look at moving to 4G if it were available in your area.

You can also try speaking to Spark and ask for a call from their retention team and tell them that you are thinking of moving providers and see if they offer you a better deal.

For me personally based on previous experiences I will never go with Orcon and Slingshot again no matter the price.

6. Post
    Email spark retention team

This year i get $30 discount per month
    Year before was $40 monthly discount
    Year before was $30 discount and free national calling (which we never used)

7. Post
    Orcon is objectively awful. And their 'rental' system is so that they can bill you in full for the modem when you don't send it back albeit it's now out of date and will just get binned.

I'm with Bigpipe and have only had good experiences with them, and no contract. Bigpipe are a wholly owned subsidiary of Spark but don't have phone service or phone customer service.

I'd always recommend going contractless unless a contract plan genuinely offers something above and beyond (although they rarely do) and find the contract suppliers tend to run promotions that bring them close to but not parity with the contractless suppliers in price.

Off contract suppliers are financially motivated to give you a good experience at all times because you can leave at any time. Contract suppliers just have to try and retain you if you remember to cancel when your contract is up.

On the maths side of things, $79 per month with the first two months free on Bigpipe would be $790 on the first year, $948 after that (but you can always ask them to sweeten the deal or switch).

8. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Orcon is objectively awful. And their 'rental' system is so that they can bill you in full for the modem when you don't send it back albeit it's now out of date and will just get binned.
    This. When I moved to a different ISP, they kept on billing me for like 5 months? I sold the modem to a GP member after about 4 months, and noticed they hadn't stopped charging me on the 5th month, at which point had a massive argument with them which ended up with "we'll refund you once you return our modem, otherwise we'll only refund you minus the modem fee" (which was $300?), and it had to be the exact one apparently, which I'd sold.

Thankfully the dude I sold it to was good about it, I bought another modem off trademe for him and had it sent to him and he sent me back my original one. I sent it off to Orcon who then refunded me like $400.

Never again.

9. Post
    wigglywormnz wrote:
    Email spark retention team

This year i get $30 discount per month
    Year before was $40 monthly discount
    Year before was $30 discount and free national calling (which we never used)
    What's the retention team email? The live chat couldn't offer me anything useful.

You're all saying Orcon is terrible, but is 400 KB too much to ask for, given the low rate of $908.58 compared to $1426.92 (what I'm paying now)?

I rougly worked it out and if my calcukations are correct I could pay the termination fee in 6 months and still come out cheaper than $1426.92 by like $200. Though it says "VOIP Landline" Will my phones not work anymore?
    Last edited by Anroid; 12th November 2018 at 8:03 pm.

10. Post
    Hoping for a speedtest screenshot to show your speeds?

Will PM the email. Not sure if its something I should post on public forum

11. Post
    340KB I'm not complaining, unless I download a big file which is once in a blue moon. I don't think I'd really benefit from higher speeds. So price is #1 priority.
    Name:  7792711321.png
Views: 1182
Size:  21.2 KB

btw, I compulsively switched to Orcon, based on the price alone. Hopefully I'll save $554 this year if the glimp savings pulls through, otherwise I will have to suffer for a saving of $299.

Who knows, maybe Orcon will give me better speeds.

12. Post
    Anroid wrote:
    340KB I'm not complaining, unless I download a big file which is once in a blue moon. I don't think I'd really benefit from higher speeds. So price is #1 priority.
    Name:  7792711321.png
Views: 1182
Size:  21.2 KB

btw, I compulsively switched to Orcon, based on the price alone. Hopefully I'll save $554 this year if the glimp savings pulls through, otherwise I will have to suffer for a saving of $299.

Who knows, maybe Orcon will give me better speeds.
    You're not going to get much better speeds by switching ISPs. Where are you located approximately? Put your address into chorus.co.nz and see what it says?

Since you're getting such low speeds, I won't recommend you use VoIP because the quality can be bad. Have you looked into 2degrees? $1000 for the first year, $1200 after and you can choose an actual landline (instead of VoIP).

13. Post
    2Degrees is $85/mo or $1020/yr. Also comes with a $200 credit atm for a 12 month contract, so first year works out at $820.

I've been happy enough with them since they were Snap.

14. Post
    Threarah wrote:
    2Degrees is $85/mo or $1020/yr. Also comes with a $200 credit atm for a 12 month contract, so first year works out at $820.

I've been happy enough with them since they were Snap.
    OP wants phone so that's an additional $15/month.

15. Post
    Any good deals out there for VDSL? Fibre is not an option.

16. Post
    Avoid Orcon like the plague. You have been warned.

17. Post
    MXRecord wrote:
    I 2nd this. stay away.

18. Post
    MXRecord wrote:
    I 3rd it - steer clear, they're f**king awful.

19. Post
    Any feedback on Trustpower? Looking at going Power, Fibre and gas with them. Their free Samsung appliance is tempting that offer further.

20. Post
    kopkiwi wrote:
    Any feedback on Trustpower? Looking at going Power, Fibre and gas with them. Their free Samsung appliance is tempting that offer further.
    It's not really free, it's all factored into the overall pricing eg.

Skinny Gigabit UFB - $98/month
    Trustpower Gigabit UFB - $134/month on a 2 year contract

Savings over 2 years = $864

That's only broadband alone, I did look into their power rates when considering moving to them and it seemed higher than others as well.

21. Post
    I'd avoid trustpower. The free fridge was nice but the internet seems over subscribed at least for unlimited Fibre.

Throughput is nice but pages can be slow to load. Gaming is also fine. It might be an issue at our end.

22. Post
    We're on Trustpower through no decision of my own. Flatmate wanted that sweet 'free' big TV (his name on the bill). Things seem OK. Have had no troubles. 200/200, but like most ISPs we're not getting advertised speeds.

I would set myself on fire before going with Orcon, Slingshot or Vodafone.

BigPipe have been my absolute favourite.

23. Post
    Anroid wrote:
    Regarding speeds, I'm currently getting around 400 KB/sec
    Hows the 4G in your area? Have you checked to see if Wifi is available?
    I've been waiting for fiber for nearly 3 months and in the mean time I have Skinny Wifi, I get about 35Mbit on it and its only $49/m for 120GB https://www.skinny.co.nz/broadband/

24. Post
    Im changing back to Spark, was on slingshot
    not happy with the international speeds/pings at peak hour times..

25. Post
    I am on Skinny, couldn't be happier, with $78 per month for 100/20 then I have to have a mobile for work, but most compamied now to a $39.95/month unlimited plan so why have a land line? I haven't had one for 4 years and couldn't be happier!