1. Post

PC for 1500 ish

Hey guys, looking at getting a new PC, want to spend about $1500

Are these 2 a good bet?

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/sys...sp?systypeid=4
    https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...elite/28350082

Last time I bought a PC was in 2012, so am a bit behind the game. It'd have to be built somewhere as I don't have the skills to do that.

Also any good monitor recommendations in the $200 price range?

2. Post
    Both a bit underpowered if you ask me.

Something like this would be much better : https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/WKS...Ryzen-5-2600-6

3. Post
    Taken from $500 - $2000 build recommendation thread

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4. Post
    If its me, i will change the parts according to warranty length within price range

5. Post
    RX580 8gb over a GTX 1060 6gb, IMO.

Lol that PC from CL only comes with a 120GB SSD which is pretty stupid. 500GB SSD is a minimum too when a single game these days are taking up north of 60gb+

6. Post
    All to fit the budget I guess.

Out of the three posted that PBTech one looks decent for the coin. Beats the others no question.

7. Post
    Thank you guys, think I'll go PBTech but ask them to swap the GPU to RX580 8GB

8. Post
    Depends what that will cost to do, if they will. Being a prebuilt system they may not be able to economically swap out GPU. 1060GB isn't bad. Would need to check reviews comparing the cards to know how much if anything it's worth paying to swap it. IMO

9. Post
    Thanks dude - I mainly game on console, so it's mainly for work, but do occasionally use the PC for gaming.

10. Post
    Source : userbenchmark website

11. Post
    I prefer nvidia drivers and support. But thats just me. If 1060 is 6gb, it should perform better than 580

12. Post
    Doesn't user bench rank cards based on synthetic performance and not gaming?

edit: ah nah it has some gaming stuff at the bottom of the page

13. Post
    They are pretty much equal in performance. Sometimes one card gets the edge. Overall you might give the win by way of like 1-5% to the 1060

14. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    They are pretty much equal in performance. Sometimes one card gets the edge. Overall you might give the win by way of like 1-5% to the 1060
    Looking at CL prices, the 6gb 1060 is also cheaper than the 580, but the 580 comes with 3 games, the 1060 comes with 1 game

15. Post
    It is synthetic testing, it'll be a basic scene rendered in real time, one of those physics simulations, etc. They're pretty good for surface level tests though. Better than GPU Boss or any of that shit. It's good for people who haven't kept up tech to go "roughly how do an RX580 and GTX1060 compare?" or "How much better is the GTX1070 than the GTX1060?", etc. Also good as a starting point to go digging for more detailed reviews and comparisons. Not perfect, but they don't stray too far from the truth.

Might be odd pricing at CL if that's the case. I've generally seen RX580s in the low 400s, and GTX1060s in the high 400s.

16. Post
    Anyone recommend m2 SSD? Seems this is the faster option for a HDD.

17. Post
    If looking at the PBTech one, the 240GB SSD included will get you a few games installed. If you need more space, then you could add another 2.5" SSD or get them to add it at the time. Which could be a good option if you don't want to install one later on. m2 SSD is fine, but unless it's cheaper. For occasional gaming, you don't need more storage IMO.

If you think you might want to store a bit on the PC or install a bunch of games, something like this is good bang for buck https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/HDD...al-HDD-7200RPM

Since the budget is already maxed out, i'm not going to suggest a big SSD.

18. Post
    My understanding is m2 SSD is faster than normal SSD - is there any drawback to it?

19. Post
    koldz wrote:
    My understanding is m2 SSD is faster than normal SSD - is there any drawback to it?
    M2 is just a form factor, just like 2.5" and 3.5".

There are M2 SATA and M2 NVME (PCI-E) drives. An M2 SATA SSD will give you the same performance as a 2.5" SATA SSD.

M2 NVME while blazing fast in synthetic benchmarks don't really offer much improvement in real world usage ie gaming, etc given the extra cost.

Fyi, some recent RX580 8gb vs GTX 1060 6gb benchmarks.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1747-amd-radeon-rx-590/

20. Post
    As a person who is using a normal SSD,i don't think it has any disadvantages.

21. Post
    Thanks guys - sounds like the PBtech one is the go.

22. Post
    Karl_KaKa wrote:
    Source : userbenchmark website

I think with 400k benches vs 80k benches and 3% difference, the RX 580 might be better card and only being edged out on userbenchmark via market share score?

23. Post
    I was wondering why the advice wasn't 1070ti as a bare minimum. They go on sale under 300usd quite a bit, so definitely a value card.

Then I checked price spy

Monitors - figure out if you want matte/gloss, ips/va, high-res/1080, etc. That'll narrow down the selection.