1. Computer

Another cooling thread

Yet another one....

Have done a bit of reading online, but in all honesty I rank first hand experiences higher than some well old thread somewhere in the interwebs. And with builds varying so much, hard to get a good gauge.

Case: Phanteks P300 with stock 120mm fan
    CPU cooler: CM 212 X with stock 120mm fan
    CPU: 8700k
    GPU: 1070ti

Recently been getting random freezes and restarts playing Battlefield and think it is heat related.

Previously I had 2x 140mm CM Masterfan Pro's for intake (front) and 2x for exhaust (1x top, 1x rear) and never had issues (although was pre Battlefield). I have now removed these as out of the box they have horribly noisy/defective bearings and it was driving me nuts.

Was definitely going to be pushing it with the stock setups, but after some advice on which route to take. Haven't really played around with BIOs, pretty much assuming with the restrictive case it is more than just some fan settings.

AIO vs air cooler seems like there is minimal difference cooling wise with decent fans, it is mostly aesthetics. So do I keep it simple and grab some new case fans (likely Corsair ML140s). Also all got very confusing the pressures etc, any tips here?
    Or am I better off going an AIO (looking at Corsair H115)? Case supposedly supports 280mm radiator. Am a big fan of the cleaner look I must say.

2. Post
    Best to confirm it's actually heat related first. Get some monitoring software and log your temps, or if you've got a second monitor, have it open while you're gaming.

3. Post
    monitor temp first to see whats over heating. If its cpu you could try reapplying thermal past to see if it helps drop temps before getting a cpu cooler/ fans.

4. Post
    My game was freezing and computer restarting with BF5. Was happening once or twice a game. THen was happening everytime I opened it. Rolled back to earlier drivers and havent had a crash or freeze since. Just saying in case it helps...

5. Post
    More fans will help with cooling for sure. Hopefully the issue is just a driver problem. But as for the cooling, Noctua fans seem to be pretty decent. I run three 120's for intake at front of case (front is filtered on my case) and i've just installed another fan on the rear of the case near CPU to exhaust hot air. If your case has filters, you want to intake the air through them, to create positive pressure in the case. This will mean that dust can't as easily get inside it as any air in the case while running, is filtered. If your case has decent venting, the positive pressure created by the intake fans, will force hot air out where it can. I have space on the top for another two fans, but don't see it as necessary. Three in take, one exhaust. I now have a blower cooled GPU, so when that is running it likely changes the air dynamics in the case. I run a Ryzen 1600 (overclocked) and temps sit around the 60 degree mark in games, so it's working fine. My cooler would be similar to the 212 performance, but your CPU will be creating a bit more heat. All of my fans run on custom speed profiles set in the BIOS. Low speed for when the CPU is just idling, browsing etc. Then ramping up when CPU hits 50 and above.

6. Post
    Thanks guys, after a bit of digging it does seem most likely a BF5 issue - jumped to the heat conclusion cause coincidentally started occurring after returning the noisy case fans, which is also when BF5 released & EA games are perfect right? Tried a couple of the fixes suggested in some threads found, but no luck yet.

Was running Speccy last night while playing and had 2x crashes - 1 @ 68 degrees and 1 @ 78 degrees. So seems to line up with BF5 issues rather than cooling. Although did see a couple of spikes into the low 90's which seems a bit up there?

Recently reapplied paste, but couldn't hurt to take another look for a simple fix.

Thanks Frag, also have a filtered intakes on front so might just chuck a couple of fans in again and keep monitoring temps. At the very least it might kerb those higher spikes keeping the case slightly cooler than it will be currently. Will investigate BIOS too in case some funky factory settings.

7. Post
    The temps might not be too bad for an 8700k, but I've always aimed for sub 70. You could run cinebench CPU run a few times to see what the temps do. 90 isn't ideal though, even as a spike.

8. Post
    BF5 crashes seem to have sorted themselves about fiddling around with some fixes.

One more piece of advice please...

Being as I don't really have case fans currently (just cpu and exhaust), I still need to do something re cooling.
    Spoke with a bloke at Computer Lounge and he pointed out if I went a 240/280 radiator in the front, the fans will be left with stuff all room to draw air in to the case as it is so slimline and it would also restrict how much air is drawn in to the case to keep the GPU happy. So ended up with a couple of options:

1. Go with an H80i or similar single fan AIO, with a 140mm intake fan below.
    2. Go back to 2x 140mm intake fans and upgrade the cooler to a Noctua NH-D14 (or similar (can't squeeze 15 into the case)).
    3. Stick with 212 Evo cooler and get some decent intake fans (non-rattly kind would be great).

Air vs water argument seems to come down to aesthetics and noise and they both are about as efficient as each other. In my case the Noctua may even out perform a single fan rad? Someone hold my hand please

9. Post
    Bigger case an option? Bigger cases are easier to cool than smaller ones due to more space for better airflow plus more fans too

10. Post
    Install intake fans up front and monitor temps. You might find with better air flow the 212 will cooler the CPU fine. You'd want to set the fan curves in BIOS to ramp up faster when gaming. This will take trial and error, but anything above 70 and i'd be ramping the fans up towards 100%. So perhaps 80% at 60 degress, 50% at whatever temp your system idles at etc.

11. Post
    Mostly laziness re changing case really haha. Just thought I should be able to get current one to work fine too.

I must say previously I hadn't monitored CPU temps a hell of a lot (when I had intake fans), but suspecting they should do the trick. Do like the cleanliness of aio though. Shame about the Noctua fan colouring.

12. Post
    Unless you're talking older fans, the new ones are various colours.

13. Post
    Possibly. The D14 comes out of the box with the usual brown/tan colouring. CL guy mentioned the newer black fans but the brown out perform. Probably marginal to be fair.

14. Post
    Depends if you see them or not too. With my case complete, I can't see my poo brown fans. Out of sight out of mind

15. Post
    Well... pulled the trigger on a pair of ML140's for intake and ML120 on cooler and one for exhaust.

Cooling issues still seem to remain - well not really issues, but quieter gaming would always be nice. Generally sits around 70, spiking to maybe 80. Fans get it down quickly though, but not exactly quietly! Obviously 8700k isn't the coolest running cpu, but would be nice to kerb the sudden ramp up of fans for quiet gaming.

This is only what I've seen playing pubg too, so expecting worse results in BF5 with proper graphics

Haven't messed around with the PWM settings yet really. Have CPU set to normal, case fans all set to quiet.

Going to re-apply thermal paste in the hope it may miraculously help. Third time lucky maybe?

Short of that, would seem it's between better cooler, or larger case?

Things aren't helped by gaming in the garage and pushing warm air through the case.

16. Post
    S15Silvia wrote:
    Well... pulled the trigger on a pair of ML140's for intake and ML120 on cooler and one for exhaust.

Cooling issues still seem to remain - well not really issues, but quieter gaming would always be nice. Generally sits around 70, spiking to maybe 80. Fans get it down quickly though, but not exactly quietly! Obviously 8700k isn't the coolest running cpu, but would be nice to kerb the sudden ramp up of fans for quiet gaming.

This is only what I've seen playing pubg too, so expecting worse results in BF5 with proper graphics

Haven't messed around with the PWM settings yet really. Have CPU set to normal, case fans all set to quiet.

Going to re-apply thermal paste in the hope it may miraculously help. Third time lucky maybe?

Short of that, would seem it's between better cooler, or larger case?

Things aren't helped by gaming in the garage and pushing warm air through the case.
    If I were you I would bite the bullet and get a decent cooler like a d15 if possible

17. Post
    Looking that way. Although on very quick and inaccurate measurements, would need to go the D14 for clearance with the case

18. Post
    S15Silvia wrote:
    Looking that way. Although on very quick and inaccurate measurements, would need to go the D14 for clearance with the case
    Worried about the 5mm height difference?

I'd double check as you may be able to squeeze that in as I have a D15 in an S340 Elite.

19. Post
    I would just taper the expectations slightly about how much the D15 will help with temps.

The averages while gaming sound a little high and I think the D15 will definitely help there - but the spikes to 80+ those are pretty normal for a 8700k and is most likely because the 8700k with it's stock IHS is limited in how quickly it can transfer heat into any cooler.

A delid would be the best option to really get those temps down, including the spikes

There was a GP user here a couple weeks ago who went from a average cooler to a full water loop and their 8700k still spiked to 80+ until they delid it

20. Post
    Yeah if you're running a 6/8 core Intel then 80 deg spikes are just the new normal - anything short of a delid is time and money wasted.

Gone are the days of keeping your CPU from exceeding 50-60.

21. Post
    Bring on the 65w 9900k killer chip.

22. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Bring on the 65w 9900k killer chip.
    I recently chucked on the riva stats for CPU power draw
    I noticed while playing games the CPU generally sits between 60 and 90w power draw - and yet even drawing just 90 watts is enough to make it spike over80c - the power draw isn’t the issue, 60 to 90w is nothing
    Last edited by SirGrim; Yesterday at 8:06 pm.

23. Post
    Power is certainly part of the issue. The other part of the issue is the poor build quality of the 8700k chips. If an 8700k was a 65w part, do you think it would spike still? Haven't seen anyone complaining about AMD ~100w chips having temp spikes. Nor anyone running 65w Intel chips having temp spikes. Perfect storm, of which the 9900k is next gen storm.

24. Post
    Crazy what happens when there’s legit competition. Intel has lost its lustre a bit aye, whereas before this would’ve been ignored, now that amd are competitive I don’t think people are as quick to put up with their crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk