Results 26 to 50 of 88

  1. Post
    #26
    The ‘performs well’ part is highly dependent on model - the 1.6 FSI was a terrible performer even when new and they absolutely do not age well. As for features again that depends on model and a lot of the Japanese import Audi we get here are fairly stripped out.

  2. Post
    #27
    pctek wrote:
    MVDT will ask you to provide all the paperwork.
    The fact that you happily bought off the road, without asking anything will go against you.

    Even if you win, getting money out of them is a whole other matter.
    What on earth would you do such a thing? Beleive what you were told - not check it mechanically properly and not do a carjam check.

    Overheating and leaking....it's likely to be very bad news.

    I think you'll have to chalk it up to a lesson learned the hard way.
    Wow so much negativity in 1 post. "Without asking anything" seems a bit harsh, he actually misled me, told me that he's owned the car for 3 years and it was driven by his girlfriend. Do you ask every single person you buy a car from whether or not they are dealer? Do you think he would have come clean and said yes?

    I actually did a pretty thorough inspection with my dad, there's no engine warning lights, no sign of any other problems with the car apart from the oil leak. Did a 10 min test drive as well again with no signs of any issues. We bought the car as a do up so its not going to be in perfect shape. We're expecting to have to do a few things to fix it.

    The only real mistake is that I didn't get the Carjam report beforehand, that is the lesson learnt here.

  3. Post
    #28
    They're kinda right tho.

  4. Post
    #29
    Wow, people actually buy CarJam reports? I always just assumed they were an, "Oh you!" kind of thing. Like when you say, 'I'll come back' to a Chinese market seller. They know you're not coming back because there are fifteen other stalls all selling the same thing for cheaper.

    What does the report say that you couldn't otherwise find for much cheaper?

  5. Post
    #30
    suntoucher wrote:
    Wow, people actually buy CarJam reports? I always just assumed they were an, "Oh you!" kind of thing. Like when you say, 'I'll come back' to a Chinese market seller. They know you're not coming back because there are fifteen other stalls all selling the same thing for cheaper.

    What does the report say that you couldn't otherwise find for much cheaper?
    money owning on the vehicle would be the primary one, which is what that particular report in this thread was referencing

  6. Post
    #31
    St4lk3r wrote:
    money owning on the vehicle would be the primary one, which is what that particular report in this thread was referencing
    Also number of previous owners and how long they had it, mileage at each wof, number plates its previously had, lots of other interesting shit.

    Suntoucher have you ever even brought a carjam report?

  7. Post
    #32
    where would he take it?

  8. Post
    #33
    SirGrim wrote:
    Deleted
    One nz owner though, weird. Perhaps someone alternating personalised and general plates?

  9. Post
    #34
    I always get a carjam report.

  10. Post
    #35
    Dude just show up to the guys yard and park it up. Don't leave until you have your money.

  11. Post
    #36
    St4lk3r wrote:
    money owning on the vehicle would be the primary one, which is what that particular report in this thread was referencing
    https://ppsr.companiesoffice.govt.nz/

    It used to be txtb4ubuy which was $3 to do that check which they billed to your phone.
    Now you just search online and pay with credit card as of last month which is $2.30.

    han16 wrote:
    Also number of previous owners and how long they had it, mileage at each wof, number plates its previously had, lots of other interesting shit.

    Suntoucher have you ever even brought a carjam report?
    Nope, CarJam already gives previous plates (but even then I struggle to see how that would be a factor in purchasing a vehicle), for the other info I just hit Sell on TradeMe which is connected to the motor vehicles register, type in the plate and it gives me everything but mileage at each WoF but I don't see how that would matter.

    And use the PPSR for money owing which is what CarJam uses and just bills more for.

    (Plate below is a random one, I thought I knew my own plate but apparently not)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plate.PNG 
Views:	37 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	224125

  12. Post
    #37
    I made the mistake of not getting a carjam report, never again.

  13. Post
    #38
    Just discovered the PPSR has an API, sweet. Going to incorporate a check on my website.

    This was txtb4ubuy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181130-135701.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	224126
    Last edited by suntoucher; 30th November 2018 at 1:57 pm.

  14. Post
    #39
    Update for everyone, I reached out to the original seller on Facebook messenger, sent him all of the screenshots and info I had and asked for a refund. Told him if he didn't give us a refund by COB Monday I'll be reporting to Commerce Commission.

    They decided not to reply or do anything so I have subsequently reported to Commerce Commission. My friend and I had a closer look at the car yesterday and decided we will fix the car up instead of going to the MVDT. Mostly leaking oil from the oil pan and there's a small coolant leak somewhere under the inlet manifold (probably typical VW Audi hose connectors coming loose).

    Here's some cool evidence, watch out for 500 Autos Limited in the future, very dodgy indeed:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181127-195552_Messenger edited.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	456.3 KB 
ID:	224176

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181127-214719_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	224175

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181127-200914_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	586.4 KB 
ID:	224173

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DavidZhang 500 Autos.PNG 
Views:	67 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	224174

  15. Post
    #40
    Its only been under the dealership name for 2 weeks, and as long as the unidentified owner for 3 years is him, i dont even see how this is an issue. Just because its owned by someone that is a dealer doesnt mean its a sale for the dealership, he's entitled to sell privately too. It wasnt on a yard, he didnt advertise it under the dealer name and made no mention of any warranties or anything. The car may have more faults that he said, but thats the path you should be taking at the small claims court, not whinging about him being a dealer.

    Sounds like buyers remorse tbh.

  16. Post
    #41
    Well it was registered to a dealership just prior to sale, so if he wanted to sell it privately that's not the way to do it...

  17. Post
    #42
    I'll also point out he in no way tried to conceal issues he knew about and that was obvious when you asked anything wrong with it and he said "oil leak"

    If he was actively trying to hide something he'd have said "no" and degrease the engine bay prior
    Last edited by St4lk3r; 5th December 2018 at 9:22 am.

  18. Post
    #43
    So Triple_S are you saying its ok for dealers to flog off their trade-ins like this? Because it seems that's what happened here tbh. No buyer's remorse here mate, like I said we bought it as a do up

    I'd like to reference this part of the Consumer Protection website as well if you are not familiar with it:

    https://www.consumerprotection.govt....car-privately/

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ConsumerProtection.PNG 
Views:	24 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	224177

    Also this: https://www.consumerprotection.govt....r-from-dealer/

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ConsumerProtection2.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	224178

  19. Post
    #44
    St4lk3r wrote:
    I'll also point out he in no way tried to conceal issues he knew about and that was obvious when you asked anything wrong with it and he said "oil leak"

    If he was actively trying to hide something he'd have said "no" and degrease the engine bay prior
    No mention of coolant leak, no mention of sagging headliner, no mention that the timing belt and waterpump had not been changed and were well due. All of these things I had to ask specifically or find out for myself. I actually texted the guy before seeing the car as well and asked again if there were any other issues because usually cars of that age especially VW Audis will have other issues to sort out - again he said only oil leak.

    Can you imagine someone else with little car knowledge trying to figure this stuff out? That's why we have consumer protection laws here especially when buying from a dealer.

  20. Post
    #45
    I'm curious why you asked this thread a question when you've clearly already made your mind up

    The fact it was in the dealers name for only 2 weeks tells me there's more worth investigating but certainly not by someone with such bias, take it to court and see what comes of it otherwise all you're doing is venting for no reason

  21. Post
    #46
    St4lk3r wrote:
    I'm curious why you asked this thread a question when you've clearly already made your mind up

    The fact it was in the dealers name for only 2 weeks tells me there's more worth investigating but certainly not by someone with such bias, take it to court and see what comes of it otherwise all you're doing is venting for no reason
    The main reason is to actually inform other people and warn that this could happen. I made the mistake of not buying a Carjam report which I think everyone should do before purchasing.

    I'm also curious why you think its ok for the dealer to sell privately even if they've only owned the car for 2 weeks? How does that justify what they have done?

  22. Post
    #47
    You bought a used car off Facebook, didn't check it properly to tick off due diligence in the checklist of buying a second hand car and now there's problems you're looking for an out and e-sympathy. The fact he might be a dealer wasn't even on your radar till afterwards (and we still don't know he is, hence my saying it warrants further unbiased investigation)

    Also your point about an innocent know nothing buying a car and getting scammed is moot, if they didn't know what they were looking at they'd get it looked at by a professional prior (something you should have done) or they'd actively seek a dealer to purchase from as they'd get black and white buyer protection

  23. Post
    #48
    The Commerce Commission can do that investigation, I've given them all the details and my side of the story. Not looking for an out otherwise I would take them to the MVDT, we're more than capable of fixing it up.

  24. Post
    #49
    lueyyou wrote:
    No mention of coolant leak, no mention of sagging headliner, no mention that the timing belt and waterpump had not been changed and were well due. All of these things I had to ask specifically or find out for myself. I actually texted the guy before seeing the car as well and asked again if there were any other issues because usually cars of that age especially VW Audis will have other issues to sort out - again he said only oil leak.

    Can you imagine someone else with little car knowledge trying to figure this stuff out? That's why we have consumer protection laws here especially when buying from a dealer.
    Your first mistake was trusting anyone selling a second hand car.

  25. Post
    #50
    I think luey is in the right. Carjam and mechanical reports are options that most sane people will utilise when buying a car, but they are not an obligation. He's entitled to expect honesty from a seller, and in this case the seller is a car dealer who probably traded a lemon and appears to be trying to worm out of their responsibilities. I'm keen to see how this plays out.