Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

1. Post

Did a dealer just scam us? What to do?

So today I found a car in the morning on Facebook Marketplace and decided to go see it this evening after work. After the usual inspections, asking about history etc, and negotiating I felt like I found a pretty good deal on this Audi A3 2004. Apparently it only has an oil leak and nothing else is wrong with it according to the guy that was selling it on the side of the road (not at a dealer) and he said the car was for his girlfriend, he's owned it for 3 years, he doesn't know much about cars at all (also not a dealer).

However when I got home my dad who drove the Audi A3 back said it started overheating just as we got home - I thought wow lucky this didn't happen on the motorway back home and at least it seems like its something we can fix. But still made me feel a bit ripped off as this was clearly a problem that the seller failed to mention to us.

Then he reminded me we hadn't checked if there was any money owing on the car, which made me feel even worse as that would be the biggest rookie mistake ever. So I bought the vehicle report off Carjam...no money owing, not stolen BUT the car is actually registered under a dealer. Then all of a sudden everything started making sense, why he wanted to get rid of the car, why we met on the side of the road (he never even went into the house so who knows who's house it belongs to) and why he never mentioned any other problems with the car.

I've made a little video about it on our YouTube channel where I go over some of the details and show some screenshots. But the big question is what would you do in this situation? I know its illegal for dealers to flog off their stock as private sales but has anyone had this happen to them before? How did it end for you? What should I do about this?

2. Post
    Sounds pretty typical for a Facebook market sale done at the side of a road. Surely you weren't expecting a trustworthy trade?

I'd start with working out what is wrong with it perhaps.

3. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Sounds pretty typical for a Facebook market sale done at the side of a road. Surely you weren't expecting a trustworthy trade?
    So much this. Lucky its not stolen, or you werent stabbed and mugged.

4. Post
    Problem #1 buying off facebook.

Generally it's a bit of a scam because dealers CAN'T sell stock with no warranty, they can't contract out of the CGA etc. Even if they say "It's just a trade in, no warranty given or implied" etc. Private sales can sell you any old crap and it's entirely caveat emptor.

If the car is dodgy, I'd just hit them up saying you know they're a dealer and that the CGA applies so you want to come to a resolution with them.

5. Post
    This could be a tidy bit of drama for the Youtube channel Make sure to wear a gopro when confronting them at the yard!

6. Post
    capriv8 wrote:
    This could be a tidy bit of drama for the Youtube channel Make sure to wear a gopro when confronting them at the yard!
    Yeah I didn't really plan for that to happen, not going to do anything crazy for the sake of YouTube haha but we'll see what happens regardless.

I've messaged him on Facebook asking for a refund (I haven't got THAT much spare time right now with a wedding to plan as well) if he says no then we'll go through the more "official" channels.

7. Post
    It seems you got exactly what you asked for. Red flags at every step and you still handed over the cash.

8. Post
    Sorry to hijack - thought i'd give FB a go with selling my B4 before i reverted to TardMe. Got a dude coming to look at it on Friday.

My plan was to meet him at the local shopping center and then go from there. Any issues with the car post-sale, i don't want the kent turning up and firebombing my house.

Any other advice?

9. Post
    Are you a dealer?

10. Post
    ^ Hahahaha, no, just a dude trying to sell his car.

11. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    ^ Hahahaha, no, just a dude trying to sell his car.
    Ok great I would just check the person has a full driver's license (for insurance and ID) and proof of funds before you allow them to test drive. Take a photo of their driver's license as well.

12. Post
    Go with them on the test drive FJ. I had some absolute no hopers take my old 3.0R out and thrash it. It's not a good feeling, especially if they aren't genuine.

13. Post
    capriv8 wrote:
    Go with them on the test drive FJ. I had some absolute no hopers take my old 3.0R out and thrash it. It's not a good feeling, especially if they aren't genuine.
    Yes definitely this, never leave anyone alone with your car. Even if they insist or they bring like 4 friends always make sure you go with them on the test drive!

14. Post
    Im curious how many posts/threads this user is going to make linking to youtube videos
    SirGrim was been gone not long and someone else is picking up the mantle (advertising own videos)

15. Post
    Click bait no less, do people not know that's an instant "will not watch". Not that I would bother anyway, just sayin'.

16. Post
    First problem was its a 2004 A3. It's worth nothing.

17. Post
    bradc wrote:
    First problem was its an Audi. It's worth nothing.
    Fixed

18. Post
    Yes seems like the biggest problem is that its an Audi

19. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Click bait no less, do people not know that's an instant "will not watch". Not that I would bother anyway, just sayin'.
    You say that, but you're wrong in that people dam well click on shit with bullshit or stretched headlines.

20. Post
    I feel like we were scammed, I mean it is a dealer trying to flog off cars privately so pretty sure that falls under the scam category.

Anyways the update is I've sent my evidence to the guy on Facebook, have told him he has till COB Monday to sort it out, otherwise its off to the MVDT and the Commerce Commission. Trying to at least let them correct their mistake.

21. Post
    bradc wrote:
    First problem was its a 2004 A3. It's worth nothing.
    but they're not. they sell like hotcakes. joe public, and especially jill public, are convinced audi and VW cars are engineering masterpieces.

22. Post
    VW are easily the leakiest cars we see at work. Almost every single one will have an oil leak of some severity.

23. Post
    Not just oil leaks either

24. Post
    MVDT will ask you to provide all the paperwork.
    The fact that you happily bought off the road, without asking anything will go against you.

Even if you win, getting money out of them is a whole other matter.
    What on earth would you do such a thing? Beleive what you were told - not check it mechanically properly and not do a carjam check.

Overheating and leaking....it's likely to be very bad news.

I think you'll have to chalk it up to a lesson learned the hard way.

25. Post
    JRS wrote:
    but they're not. they sell like hotcakes. joe public, and especially jill public, are convinced audi and VW cars are engineering masterpieces.
    They are comfortable, perform well and often have more features than a Japanese equivalent. They're engineered to be awesome, new, they're just not engineered to be something someone would want to own longer term. You can see by their residual value that there's only a niche of naive suckers that want to play in that market.