Page 4 of 4 First 1234

1. Post
    It looks pretty damned dodgy for a car to be sold privately by a salesperson who works at a car yard, when the car yard is the registered owner of the vehicle.
    I think you've got a pretty good case to hit them up about it to get things repaired under the CGA. They shouldn't be trying to sidestep their obligations like this.

2. Post
    What if it was his daily and he decided to sell it privately instead of bearing the cost to sell it on the yard? E.g he could have no space on the yard, don't want to hire a detailer to clean it everyday, don't want to pay tax, don't want to pay for any fixes during the 100 day warranty. I'd say if he listed it as a dealer he would have been looking for $500-1000 on top of what you paid for.

3. Post
    gpig wrote:
    What if it was his daily and he decided to sell it privately instead of bearing the cost to sell it on the yard? E.g he could have no space on the yard, don't want to hire a detailer to clean it everyday, don't want to pay tax, don't want to pay for any fixes during the 100 day warranty. I'd say if he listed it as a dealer he would have been looking for $500-1000 on top of what you paid for.
    If it was his daily, then it would be his personal car and not registered to the dealer.

4. Post
    Like I appreciate the comments that registered person != owner but it still looks dodgy and smells like they're trying to pull a fast one

It may be completely benign, but that's what it can be perceived as

5. Post
    ludez wrote:
    I never do car sales from my house anymore. Lots of munters around.
    +1. Don't want them looking around at whats in the garage / driveway, would rather meet in a public place and sell in a public place. If they're coming back to buy after initial test and they seem trustworthy i.e a dad and his kid or something, I'll give them my address and do the changeover there.

Nothing dodgy about it, most of good car purchasing aside from checking the car legally and inspecting, is getting a feel from the seller. I'm 24 cars in though so I've got a pretty good hang on reading people now.

6. Post
    Never done it or felt the need to tbh but can see why people do. Certainly never had any issues with the 20+ older BMW's ive sold, but If i was selling older rwd jappa's then id probably start the meeting in public.

7. Post
    Eagle wrote:
    Never done it or felt the need to tbh but can see why people do. Certainly never had any issues with the 20+ older BMW's ive sold, but If i was selling older rwd jappa's then id probably start the meeting in public.
    I "sold" a S14 once on TM, some guy asked for my address to view tomorrow morning via text and I told him and told him a time, then came out the next morning to go to get it read etc and it wasn't there anymore .

I just do workplace or public space test drives etc now.

Back on track.... could the Dealer just backdate a sales agreement etc and sent it in saying it was sold to that guy on x date (before you bought it) and just never sent in?
    I know there's that form that the seller can send in for a change of ownership.

8. Post
    Lemieux_66 wrote:
    Back on track.... could the Dealer just backdate a sales agreement etc and sent it in saying it was sold to that guy on x date (before you bought it) and just never sent in?
    I know there's that form that the seller can send in for a change of ownership.
    I've done the ownership change online already so I'm assuming they already did their thing on their end.

Can understand if the dealer sold it and then someone else sold it to us but its just a strange coincidence that the guy who sold it to us has his name as a salesperson on the dealer's website. He also stopped messaging me on Messenger, he could have easily explained what happened but chose to stay silent which implies he's hiding something.

9. Post
    You think it does. It could just mean that he's not interested in speaking to you.

10. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    You think it does. It could just mean that he's not interested in speaking to you.
    Sure, he can talk to the Commerce Commission instead then

11. Post
    Eagle wrote:
    Worst I've had happen is someone managing to lock the priority key in their own car completely blocking my driveway and the car they wanted to test drive.

12. Post
    lueyyou wrote:

Can understand if the dealer sold it and then someone else sold it to us but its just a strange coincidence that the guy who sold it to us has his name as a salesperson on the dealer's website. H
    I agree fully, I think you just take it as far as you can, sounds like the guy was trying to get rid of a crappy trade-in on the cheap and probably hasn't even thought it through properly. At least if you go through the process it'll stop the guy doing it again (or at least should do).