Fallout 76 PC Review

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Wow, I think this is the lowest score I've ever seen for a game on this site. But from reading through this review, it seems well-warranted.

3. Post
    Amazing game.
    Looking forward to the updates from the patch notes

4. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    Wow, I think this is the lowest score I've ever seen for a game on this site. But from reading through this review, it seems well-warranted.
    Yeah, I was a bit nervous about publishing this but Chris really did his due diligence and gave the game a fair critical examination.

5. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    It is the lowest score I have ever given. It is also the worst game I have played in I do not know how long.
    It's gone from inept to insulting, but yeah scoring this was hard. I also had about another 1000 words on what I call the Cult of Todd, but it was not helpful and also rather out of place.
    Maybe in 2019 if it makes sense I will rework it and see if Dan wants to publish it.

This game to me represents a systemic failure from Bethesda Games Studio, Bethesda Softworks, and maybe Zenimax itself. There is no excuse for something this dire to ever see a retail release. This is very early access at best for a free to play game.

6. Post
    well deserved. And players who are fans need to really take a step back and realize that they are the only ones who can make Bethesda listen. And the only way is to not purchase or play this game.

7. Post
    1/10

Haha you guys were moaning when players gave it 3/10

The GP review is even lower

This review score is why Gwarden no longer posts here

8. Post
    Maybe this will make Bethesda start working on a new engine for TES6 & Starfield but I doubt it lol

RIP Gwarden lol.

9. Post
    "I love Fallout" - You know straight away it's not gonna be positive

10. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    This game to me represents a systemic failure from Bethesda Games Studio, Bethesda Softworks, and maybe Zenimax itself. There is no excuse for something this dire to ever see a retail release. This is very early access at best for a free to play game.
    Agreed.

I think the people defending this need to take off the fanboy glasses, and see this game for what it really is.

11. Post
    Blitz^ wrote:
    Amazing game.

12. Post
    I think this review hits on most points

I have not experienced the whole game but it feels like they took the weaker aspects of fallout 4 (in my personal opinion) watered down role playing options and quests, endless notes and tapes, tedious inventory management / ui issues, with what feels like re-fried assets and attached multiplayer to it.

I'm sure the devs put the effort in, but it's not always apparent to us in the audience, aside from that it's not really obvious to me what the goal was with multiplayer, or the experience in general, their hard work has not translated to the game I was expecting at least.

13. Post
    Blitz^ wrote:
    Amazing game.
    I am interested in knowing how it is amazing. More importantly why you commented 10/10. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that this is not an attempted troll.
    One of my friends really likes 76, but he is a streamer and his fun is derived from the social interaction with his subs and those he plays with in-game. He admits this.
    I can understand someone liking the game, but I struggle with the notion that anyone could find it amazing, and certainly not giving it 10/10.

Please let me know, I've spent 4000 words explaining my why. It is only fair you are allowed the same opportunity to express your opinion too. Although please refrain from making it 4000 words. I almost feel the need to apologise for it being so bloody long.

14. Post
    I'm not being a troll, I have loved every Fallout game since the first. Yes 76 has it's ups and downs (getting stuck in the open and having to fast travel to fix it) - but apart from a few minor issues I think the game is a bunch of fun.
    Playing solo or running around with mates doing quests/boss monsters, it's very enjoyable. All the crafting, building/camp setup, quests I think are quite well done.
    I have read in multiple places all the issues/gripes people have, but they either don't bother me or I haven't run into those yet. (I think the no human NPCs was the biggest issue).
    And with the patch notes I have seen, the game looks to get much better, or partly fix the game for most people who hate it.

I haven't played anything else since starting 76.
    I think it's just one of those games people either love or hate.

15. Post
    Blitz^ wrote:
    I think it's just one of those games people either love or hate.
    That to me is a cop out. I am happy you like it, I wish I could share the sentiment. But it's fundamentally broken and beyond repair in my opinion.
    Who knows though maybe in another 12 months assuming there is enough of a player base there will be fixes and new content to make up for the bad design and lazy implementation.

You have however not explained how it's "amazing" or "10/10". I expect you're being hyperbolic (which is irritating btw), but in any case specifically what does it do and how does it do it that you leads you to like it as much as you do?

In any case thanks for the reply, I would love some insight from people who like it. Because damn it I tried. I tried for so damn long.

16. Post
    Not everyone is going to dislike something just like not everyone will like it

There are plenty of games that are commercial flops with universal critical review score failure and yet there are still people playing it because they enjoy it

There will always be some people who enjoy something, even if most don't

Some recent examples that come to mind: For Honor by Ubisoft, Warhammer Online, Evolve and there surely must be others

17. Post
    So....who wants to review Underworld Ascendant?

18. Post
    Not me. I already paid for the damn thing. I am not going to spend any more of my precious time on it as well.

19. Post
    No offence Blitz - this isn't an attack, rather just an observation for Chris - but i think there's a large element of fanboyism with Blitz's assessment. He's loved every Fallout game, has spent his hard-earned money on this, everyone else on the planet is ragging on it which bums him out, so he naturally wants to like it.

Wanting to like something often means you're unable to cast a critical eye on it, and there's a resulting tendency to gloss over or minimalise flaws and issues (either consciously or subconsciously). Chris i'm sure i saw you mention somewhere doing this yourself with an earlier Fallout came.

"Love it or hate it" is definitely a cop out tho; Love it because you're a Fallout/Bethesda fanboy who desperately wants to love it, or hate it because it's a f**kin mess, is the way i take that.

AJ's review was good, in so far as the snippits of Todd Howard's comment's highlighted just how much they dropped the ball with the game.

20. Post
    Oblivion - pulled 2 days of sickies and bought a 360 to play it.
    Skyrim - took 3 days of leave to get it on launch day and play it.
    FO4 - bought a new console and took leave from work to play it.

I'm sad to say I'm not sure I trust Bethesda enough any more to do this with their upcoming games. All that power and adoration went to their heads - they felt they were so worshipped that they no longer had to try. Let's all remember when Todd anounced that IRL Pipboy and described it, verbatim, as "a total piece of crap", and knew that frothy fanbois would still trample over other human beings to get one. That was the first hint of the pride that would come before the fall.
    Last edited by leopardsqueezy; 29th November 2018 at 11:19 am. Reason: factual error.

21. Post
    What amazes me is that so many people actually thought this was a good direction to go in. Including certain posters on this forum.

A game with no NPCs. A game using an engine which has the same flaws it did 20 years ago. A game that clearly (by the trailers) ignores Fallout lore. How could *anyone* think this was going to be anything but a trainwreck is beyond me.

Not saying a multiplayer Fallout is a bad idea, but the way this game was implemented it was never going to work.

22. Post
    I mean seriously. As soon as Todd Howard said "this game has no NPC's" every single person in the crowd had a duty to stand up, get in a line, and took turns punching Howard in the sack.

23. Post
    They are getting smashed from every angle with their terrible practices. The $200 collectors edition had a canvas bag advertised but they are shipping out cheap nylon bags instead...

24. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    I mean seriously. As soon as Todd Howard said "this game has no NPC's" every single person in the crowd had a duty to stand up, get in a line, and took turns punching Howard in the sack.
    Sounds like you just want to touch toddos nuts

no human npcs can work well in certain circumstances, however you cant properly interact with the robots and other npcs other than mashing E and having them spout lines in random fashion which is where that went really wrong on that front.

25. Post
    One thing you cannot do in even a lite-rpg is have no interactive NPCs. That's about as basic as you can get. They didn't seem to understand even that.