1. Post

Help with upgrading 21.5 iMac to SSD drive

Hi all.

I'm lacking tools and items to do this 10 min job. Didn't want to make the effort in purchasing something I'd probably not ever use again. So was thinking if any one out there has the right tools already who is willing to help me out. I could shout us Maccas something like that for your time/effort.

Looking for help from anyone with the following.

Prying tools
    Torx T10
    Suction cup (two)
    Double sided adhesive strips/tape.

I'm based in Auckland, Manukau.

Cheers

2. Post
    not a 10 minute job at all to be honest. Its like 30 minutes for a professional and at least an hour for a first timer to do it slowly and carefully.
    Is it a 2011 or older thick model or the 2012+ slim model?

a lot of things can go wrong if not careful. Not a difficult job but definitely needs care.

3. Post
    focus wrote:
    not a 10 minute job at all to be honest. Its like 30 minutes for a professional and at least an hour for a first timer to do it slowly and carefully.
    Is it a 2011 or older thick model or the 2012+ slim model?

a lot of things can go wrong if not careful. Not a difficult job but definitely needs care.
    It's late 2015 slim model. The last of the 1080p screens before 21.5 inch retina.

4. Post
    You dont want prying tools you want a special cutting wheel. Suction cups would only for grip you dont need em on that one.
    Also you kinda need the correct VHB tape its a PITA trying to use generic stuff for shape and thickness.
    Basically take it somewhere non authorised but does apple stuff (ASPs arent technically allowed to put anything third party in for you even if you supply it)

or lookup the ifixit guide but it is a lot more annoying then the old magnetic ones.

5. Post
    There are ways and means of getting the glass off the front using a towel to lay i out. Torx screwdrivers will cost you all of $5. This is a bit of a shit of a job if you don't know what you're doing though so... if you're not tech savy then don't do it.
    Last edited by Roumelio; 5th December 2018 at 7:32 pm.

6. Post
    I've got some adhesive strips if you still haven't found any (you can just have them) and I probably have a spare cutting wheel you can use and maybe a T10 somewhere that you can send back when you're done with.

Having said that, if you feel like driving to Hamilton I'm happy to either show you how to do it or just do it for you (for some beers?), because the cost of failure with this is quite high. I've had 2 people so far come to me cos the screens fell off after they did this job, lol.

(I do Apple stuff but am non-authorised)

7. Post
    ^ Good option, anyone who actually wants to help do these outside of work is a good chap :P

8. Post
    A.brdgr wrote:
    I've got some adhesive strips if you still haven't found any (you can just have them) and I probably have a spare cutting wheel you can use and maybe a T10 somewhere that you can send back when you're done with.

Having said that, if you feel like driving to Hamilton I'm happy to either show you how to do it or just do it for you (for some beers?), because the cost of failure with this is quite high. I've had 2 people so far come to me cos the screens fell off after they did this job, lol.

(I do Apple stuff but am non-authorised)
    lol @ the story of screens falling off.

Anyhow I think you're the man I'm looking for. There is a burger joint called eat 'Eat Burger' I like to visit Hammy for. So I could probably come for that and also the ssd installation. I'll PM you shortly for contact details.

Thanks to everyone else so far.

9. Post
    xnoodsx wrote:
    lol @ the story of screens falling off.

Anyhow I think you're the man I'm looking for. There is a burger joint called eat 'Eat Burger' I like to visit Hammy for. So I could probably come for that and also the ssd installation. I'll PM you shortly for contact details.

Thanks to everyone else so far.
    Lol, I get Eat Burger weekly, one of the best burger places in town.