1. Post

UPS opinions? Uninterrupted Power Supply

Looking for a UPS for gaming PC.

Due to my room wall socket is shared between the oven and microwave, there are times where the circuit breaker trips when all are running together.

I try to avoid all appliances running at the same time but sometimes it still happens.

Rough PC specs :
    i7 8700k oc 4.7Ghz @ 1.2w
    1080ti oc 2012 core 5400 mem

1440p 165hz display

Using Seasonic PSU calculator, looks like my system draws around 700w. for monitor max im guessing 150w.
    So looks like a 1400VA and above UPS looks best for my needs

Shortlisted a few :
    https://www.ascent.co.nz/productspec...?itemID=424334 Replaceable batteries and 2 year warranty

https://www.ascent.co.nz/productspec...?itemID=441557 Replaceable batteries. PBtech website states this has 5 years warranty for some reason.

Anyone is running some kind of UPS can provide some feedback? some models stats <5DB and some stats <40DB. PC is in the bedroom so 40DB is crazy and i hope that only applies when its running active instead of passive
    Last edited by Karl_KaKa; 1st December 2018 at 8:52 pm.

2. Post
    I've generally had a 1000va and been fine on my gaming machine. Worth having online if you have dirty power. Make sure battery replacement is economical as it can get expensive if they have strange batteries.

3. Post
    What kind of up time can you expect on a gaming PC with a UPS?

4. Post
    WhangaDan wrote:
    What kind of up time can you expect on a gaming PC with a UPS?
    1600va(960w) rated 4 mins 50% load
    2000va(1200w) rated 10mins 50% load

5. Post
    edited, both units have replaceable batteries

6. Post
    krashersmasher wrote:
    I've generally had a 1000va and been fine on my gaming machine. Worth having online if you have dirty power. Make sure battery replacement is economical as it can get expensive if they have strange batteries.
    Batteries are 2x 12v 9ah.. trademe is showing $36 a piece new. Jaycar selling $55

7. Post
    I have a Dynamix 1200, not currently plugged in but was working fine when I needed it. Runs pretty silent when not in use from memory, when running it made more noise. If it's just for short term use while the microwave is being used, it will be fine. I don't recall the run time of mine, but it was pretty impressive. Unless you're gaming at the time, power usage won't be killer.

8. Post
    Not cheaper and better to get sparkie to pop open mains box and move loops around so not with microwave etc?
    Your oven should be on its own breaker?

DId similar at ours and added another breaker. Was about 30min work and $20 breaker. From mem code of compliance cert of whatever they do cost $45 though

9. Post
    wigglywormnz wrote:
    Not cheaper and better to get sparkie to pop open mains box and move loops around so not with microwave etc?
    Your oven should be on its own breaker?

DId similar at ours and added another breaker. Was about 30min work and $20 breaker. From mem code of compliance cert of whatever they do cost $45 though
    Had asked a sparky friend. it involves of re-wiring some of the cables inside the wall through the ceiling. Possibly because my house is much older

10. Post
    I've sold plenty of Dynamix UPS units in the past and they do seem a bit iffy when it comes to reliability. Have seen several fail within warranty period. Mostly sell Eaton now and haven't had any warranty issues at all to date and they're priced around the same as Dynamix for their comparable (on specs) 5E range.

Don't know anything about Digitus but some cursory research has led me to think that they're probably just offering some sort of rebranded shitbox like Dynamix seem to.

They're just like any other electronic device - reliabilty will vary depending on the quality of components used in the inverters. There's other reputable brands out there beyond Eaton but don't have much experience with them at the entry level you're looking at. Having found one that's reliable and competitively priced I haven't seen a need to look further.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

11. Post
    dr.m0x wrote:
    I've sold plenty of Dynamix UPS units in the past and they do seem a bit iffy when it comes to reliability. Have seen several fail within warranty period. Mostly sell Eaton now and haven't had any warranty issues at all to date and they're priced around the same as Dynamix for their comparable (on specs) 5E range.

Don't know anything about Digitus but some cursory research has led me to think that they're probably just offering some sort of rebranded shitbox like Dynamix seem to.

They're just like any other electronic device - reliabilty will vary depending on the quality of components used in the inverters. There's other reputable brands out there beyond Eaton but don't have much experience with them at the entry level you're looking at. Having found one that's reliable and competitively priced I haven't seen a need to look further.

most retailers offering 1-2 years warranty on the 2000va models.. but the digitus im looking at offers 5 years.
    Most forums recommends APC but they are expensive AF

Im very new to the UPS thing but it should be same as PC's PSU. good components = longer lasting.

To me, electronics all will fail eventually, being covered by warranty sort of gives peace to the mind a little.

12. Post
    I think i'd rather have the wiring sorted than get a UPS in your situation. Probably similar cost, but one solution stops your wiring having to trip out, the other is just a bandaid fix.

13. Post
    if appliance trips because of using alot of power, its only limited to kitchen and my room.
    having a UPS will solve this issue + protects PC against power outage.

Getting a sparky to do the wiring will solve my room power tripping issue but does not protect from electric storms

Ideally, getting both done is best

14. Post
    Does that system really draw 700W? That sounds high...

15. Post
    Karl_KaKa wrote:
    if appliance trips because of using alot of power, its only limited to kitchen and my room.
    having a UPS will solve this issue + protects PC against power outage.
    It's still going to trip, so you're still going to need to reset the RCD or whatever is in the box. I just don't think that's a great way to have the power running. But each to their own. If you get electrical storms then fair enough. My UPS has sat unplugged for the last year as I moved to a house which didn't have power cuts all the time.

16. Post
    Yeah it's still going to trip but at least the computer won't abruptly shut off and potentially loose work etc.
    Getting a new circuit put in may or may not be as straightforward as some seem to think either. Depending on the age of the house and what standard the existing installation is up to, it could even require the whole switchboard to be upgraded in a worst case scenario.

I guess it couldn't hurt to get a coupe of quotes but a ups would be a quick and easy remedy.

17. Post
    I have a CyberPower PFC Sinewave Series Tower Style 1300VA
    get's me 46 mins @ idle with monitor on. 63 mins with it off.
    But I'd only let it run for 5 mins or so to save and shutdown. Lead Acid battery's don't like being used much they are just for backup's.
    Name:  Screenshot_1.png
Views: 76
Size:  42.9 KB