Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 34

  1. Post
    #1

    New Build for 2019

    Hi all,

    I will be upgrading my 6600k/1070 system I built well over two years ago. All the parts will be sourced from the USA more than likely as I have regular trips there for work and prices are a bit better.

    Still not sure about the MATX aspect but I do live in a small space so a full tower is out of the question.

    I game at 1440p with a 165hz monitor and play BFV, Blackout, WoW and pretty much any major AAA titles that come out which my friends play.

    Take a look and critique the build please.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QKYyRJ



    Total price rougly $2,680 NZD

  2. Post
    #2
    No power supply? Or you going to reuse what you have already

  3. Post
    #3
    Abo wrote:
    No power supply? Or you going to reuse what you have already
    Yeah I already have a Corsair CX550m.


    Will be selling the 6600k/Asus Z170i Pro gaming (ITX) and 16gb of DDR 2400 as well.

  4. Post
    #4
    Id try get more case fans.. noctua if u can find. If 2080ti is within your budget?

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

  5. Post
    #5
    Karl_KaKa wrote:
    Id try get more case fans.. noctua if u can find. If 2080ti is within your budget?

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    2080ti I could stretch to.

    So the plan would he have the two front fans as intake for the 240 AIO and then two 120mm on the top (ones that come with the case) as exhaust.

  6. Post
    #6
    8 Threads? lol What is this 2015?

  7. Post
    #7
    SheepShagger556 wrote:
    8 Threads? lol What is this 2015?
    Maybe post a suggestion???

  8. Post
    #8
    Any reason your going intel? Id look at Ryzen.

  9. Post
    #9
    550w might be a bit tight for that system? Unless you go for a 2080Ti, both the 9900k (for example) and the 2700x are GPU limited, so give the same performance in BFV (for example) @ 1440P ultra settings.

    I'd compare 8700k and 9700k if you only want Intel. Being 9th gen doesn't necessarily make them a step up over 8th gen.

  10. Post
    #10
    I'd def get a new PSU. I feel unease running relatively decent-high end consumer gear with a weak PSU. It's not too much for a decent one at 650W+ imo

  11. Post
    #11
    Weegee wrote:
    I'd def get a new PSU. I feel unease running relatively decent-high end consumer gear with a weak PSU. It's not too much for a decent one at 650W+ imo
    Ok thats good to know.

    I am not one to cheap out when it comes to gear. Also that way I can sell the system as a whole and just move onto a new one.

  12. Post
    #12
    Fragluton wrote:
    550w might be a bit tight for that system? Unless you go for a 2080Ti, both the 9900k (for example) and the 2700x are GPU limited, so give the same performance in BFV (for example) @ 1440P ultra settings.

    I'd compare 8700k and 9700k if you only want Intel. Being 9th gen doesn't necessarily make them a step up over 8th gen.
    Bonus option, the 8086k, delid, clock to 5.3ghz

    For OP, if you go with 9th gen Intel stay away from ASUS motherboards if you plan on overclocking

    As for 6 core 12 thread vs 8 core 8 thread
    I believe the benchmarks show the 9700k is still slightly ahead because 2 cores extra is better than an extra 4 threads
    However the difference is minor between the two cpus and if you can get a 8700k or 8086k plus motherboard for significantly less than the 9th gen option then I’d go for that and spend the savings elsewhere on the rig such as the 2080ti

    An overclocked 8700k/8086k is still perfectly capable of handling a 2080ti at 1440p 144hz+ and at 4k easily so of course
    Last edited by SirGrim; 3rd December 2018 at 9:23 am.

  13. Post
    #13
    Imagine having less than 28 threads on your cpu in 2k18

  14. Post
    #14
    SirGrim wrote:
    Bonus option, the 8086k, delid, clock to 5.3ghz

    For OP, if you go with 9th gen Intel stay away from ASUS motherboards if you plan on overclocking

    As for 6 core 12 thread vs 8 core 8 thread
    I believe the benchmarks show the 9700k is still slightly ahead because 2 cores extra is better than an extra 4 threads
    However the difference is minor between the two cpus and if you can get a 8700k or 8086k plus motherboard for significantly less than the 9th gen option then Id go for that and spend the savings elsewhere on the rig such as the 2080ti

    An overclocked 8700k/8086k is still perfectly capable of handling a 2080ti at 1440p 144hz+ and at 4k easily so of course
    +1

    8th gen cpu and mobo go for abit less and not much poorer performance. Use the money on a decent psu + 2080ti. Maybe a monitor upgrade to 3440x1440 @100hz or just 2560x1440 @120hz++

    I prefer to swap all fans to noctua because i like them quieter at better performance compared to rivals

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

  15. Post
    #15
    SirGrim wrote:
    For OP, if you go with 9th gen Intel stay away from ASUS motherboards if you plan on overclocking
    Very interesting. I have only ever had Asus boards so never gave it any thought.

    What brand would you recommend instead?

  16. Post
    #16


    If models aren't available here, it will at least give you an idea of which brands are doing it right.

  17. Post
    #17
    Unknitlemon6855 wrote:
    Maybe post a suggestion???
    It's just such terrible value for money. Considering you have to buy a special mobo for it plus a cooler. The fact that Intel only have HT on their top CPU is spitting in the face of its customers (who continue to lap it up)

  18. Post
    #18
    Unknitlemon6855 wrote:
    Very interesting. I have only ever had Asus boards so never gave it any thought.

    What brand would you recommend instead?
    Asus is usually good but unfortunately they cheaper out on VRM modules on their z390 boards which makes them worse overclockers and they got hotter than the competition plus they are overpriced, you pay up to $200 more for asus in NZ now than the equivalent of other brands

    As for what’s recommended, right now your options are mostly from Gigabyte and MSI - there are many models but to make it easy, any Gigabyte or MSI that’s sold here for over $400 will do you very nicely - if you say look at the listing over $400 from Computer Lounge, those are your models to pick. If you buy from the States you have more options from other brands like Nzxt, asrock etc

    If I had to pick one I’d grab this https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/com...p?partid=31981

    But if you go for a 8700k or 8086k you can overclock perfectly fine on a $250 motherboard sonyours saving on the cpu and motherboard, perhaps enough to move up to a 2080ti?

  19. Post
    #19
    If a suitable motherboard is $600, I think you should reconsider CPU choice from 9th gen. That's mental.

  20. Post
    #20
    That’s just the one I’d go for cause it looks cool and the asus board he had first picked is $730 here, but as mentioned a $400 Gigabyte board is perfectly capable but your already knew that, drag

  21. Post
    #21
    Nah I haven't actually looked into Z390 boards pricing TBH. Apart from what Steve talks about in his videos. $400 ain't bad, but as you say, even cheaper for 8th gen 6 core options.

  22. Post
    #22
    If you have a US address keep an eye on r/buildapcsales

  23. Post
    #23
    I wouldn't really rely on using PCPartPicker US if budget is of concern.

    The Strix 2080 for example is $350-400 more than a Gigabyte Windforce or EVGA Black card..pretty horrible value
    Samsung 970 Evo is probably better than the WD Black , and a ROG Strix board would be hundreds cheaper than the Gene

    All of that could upgrade the monitor substantially. Personally I have this and its freaking amazing: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MON...Monitor--2560X

  24. Post
    #24
    Ultra wide 2k or a 4k gaming display perhaps? Both 100+ hz would work nicely with 2080ti

    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MON...a-G-Sync-Curve

    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MON...IDIA-G-SYNC-Ga

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

  25. Post
    #25
    Finished the build

    Went for an MSI board in the end and I am very happy with it.

    Specs:
    - 9700k (not yet overclocked)
    - 16gb 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
    - MSI Z390m Gaming Edge AC
    - RTX 2080 Asus STRIX
    - WD NVME 512gb SSD
    - Samsung EVO 512gb SSD
    - 1tb WD Blue
    - RM650X PSU
    - Corsair Crystal 280x RGB
    - Corsair H100i Platinum