1. Post

hdd upgrade?

so I got a free 1tb SSD and currently use a 120gb SSD ( yes i know its small hasn't been a problem till now)

The SSDs are

http://www.adata.com/en-series/feature/286 ( 1tb ssd)
    https://www.disctech.com/Kingston-SH...120GB-SATA-SSD (120gb)

do I keep the 120gb for O/S only and use the 1gb as a storage/games install (lazy option)
    or is it better get rid of the 120 and use the 1tb solely?

Thanks
    Last edited by DaRk-ToUcH; 3rd December 2018 at 10:03 pm. Reason: im an idiot

2. Post
    Ditch the 120, use only ssd. Ssd are much faster than HDD, you'll never want to go back.

3. Post
    Lol, yeah just throw the 120gb in the bin. 1TB ssd is more than enough for your needs by the sound of it
    If you put the OS on the 120 your boot times would still be slow, on the ssd they will be very fast

You could of course just sell the 120 hdd but I’m guessing the cost to courier it to the buyer is more than the hdd is worth

4. Post
    How much space do you have on the 120GB? If you still have space, and are happy with the install, just put the 1TB in as storage. Job done, a quick look suggests they will give the same performance.

Confusing thread is confusing. You sent the posters above me down the garden path by using the wrong terms/names for things. Something to keep in mind next time HDD and SSD are very different beasts.

5. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    How much space do you have on the 120GB? If you still have space, and are happy with the install, just put the 1TB in as storage. Job done, a quick look suggests they will give the same performance.

Confusing thread is confusing. You sent the posters above me down the garden path by using the wrong terms/names for things. Something to keep in mind next time HDD and SSD are very different beasts.
    yea sorry i messed up been super distracted latly, i did link the right page tho. think your option is easier wasnt sure if the 1tb would be at all faster and was worth the hassle of doing a reinstall etc

6. Post
    I only had a quick look, but they looked about the same.

7. Post
    Larger SSDs are typically faster -though probably not in any way you would notice outside of synthetic tests...

8. Post
    120GB SSD for windows
    1TB SSD for gaming/ Data

since you'll have less writes 1TB will last longer separated
    Also if the windows drive craps out your data is still safe

Speed wise there will be no noticeable difference in the two

9. Post
    Another option is to boot off the 1TB, and then use the 120GB as a cache with some spinning rust e.g. StoreMI or Intel Smart Response Technology.

10. Post
    It all runs at the same speed though, isn't the likes of StoreMI if you have dinosaur HDD tech in your system?