Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Marvel Studios developing Shang-Chi First Asian Lead Superhero Franchise

EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios is fast-tracking Shang-Chi to be its first superhero movie tentpole franchise with an Asian protagonist. The studio has set Chinese-American scribe Dave Callaham to write the screenplay, and Deadline hears Marvel is already looking at a number of Asian and Asian-American directors who want to do something as potentially monumental as was accomplished in Marvel’s first viable Best Picture candidate, Black Panther. That film tied into African and African American cultures and the sensibilities of its nearly all-black cast, with a black director in Ryan Coogler and writer in Joe Robert Cole. The goal here is to do a similar thing: introduce a new hero who blends Asian and Asian American themes, crafted by Asian and Asian American filmmakers.
    https://deadline.com/2018/12/shang-c...er-1202512660/

I wonder how this will fit into the overall narrative of the MCU without feeling forced? Black Panther made sense but this almost feels like tickbox casting.

2. Post
    As predicted the MCU is going to force this whole diversity thing. Next up will be the first transgender superhero!!

3. Post
    Having heroes that attempt to represent more people in society is no bad thing.

4. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    I have no problem if it makes sense and happens naturally. Its when its forced & shoehorned in I'm against it

5. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    Having heroes that attempt to sell more copies of a narrative by appealing to natural racism and cultural snobbery .
    fixt for you. I am also asian btw.

6. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    As predicted the MCU is going to force this whole diversity thing. Next up will be the first transgender superhero!!
    Gross.

7. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    Have you watched the Charmed reboot? The whole show is full of transgender lesbians who scissor and then look at the camera and make feminist statements about how the patriarchy is evil

When Black Panther came out, some people in america took at as a cry to war, there were cases where white people were attacked, beaten and thrown out of cinemas because they were "told they aren't allowed to watch a black movie"

I'd hope the same doesn't happen here where only "asians" are allowed to watch this movie

Good thing I stopped watching Marvel movies some time back, they've been very subpar for a long time

8. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    I have no problem if it makes sense and happens naturally. Its when its forced & shoehorned in I'm against it
    I'm curious how you think an Asian protagonist is forced or shoehorned

This is not a "let's make Wolverine Asian" situation

9. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    I'm curious how you think an Asian protagonist is forced or shoehorned

This is not a "let's make Wolverine Asian" situation
    I'm not saying this will be forced or shoehorned in. I'm saying I only have a problem if it feels like it. I was basically agreeing with Valeyard's statement:

I wonder how this will fit into the overall narrative of the MCU without feeling forced? Black Panther made sense but this almost feels like tickbox casting.

10. Post
    Casting an Asian to play an Asian character?

Or are you complaining more about them greenlighting a movie because the character is non-white (not the casting)

11. Post
    I dont know I'm not really complaining I was just looking at it from Valeyard's POV. Disney clearly has an agenda that involves adding more diversity to their movies. I have no problem with this if its done right, but when it becomes a checklist of ticking off every race and orientation to fulfil thier agenda, then obviously it's going to feel forced.

12. Post
    as an asian i do not need a " asian " superhero. There are plenty , the Marvel Universe or the whole comic book, anime, manga etc has plenty of Asian characters but were either white washed to sell more copies. That is not cool but you know, you are trying to sell to a market and so we get it, just dont try weasel insult us by pretending it is anything but a cash grab.

it is the same here, it is just appealing to us emotionally on a racial level, and less to do with the character being a good , interesting character with a long storied history which brings consumers to like or relate to the character. Nope, it is basically saying oh you asians are just racist, i guess the only way to sell more things to you is to pretend racist as well ! yeah ! Woohoo! we solved racism by being equally racist to everyone!~ yay!

i mean ffs, there is no S either, it should be Zh or Hs.. /shrug

13. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    I dont know I'm not really complaining I was just looking at it from Valeyard's POV. Disney clearly has an agenda that involves adding more diversity to their movies. I have no problem with this if its done right, but when it becomes a checklist of ticking off every race and orientation to fulfil thier agenda, then obviously it's going to feel forced.
    Just say I don't like Asians or trans people if that's what you want to say.

14. Post
    jords wrote:
    Just say I don't like Asians or trans people if that's what you want to say.
    this guy always trying to twist my words lol. I don't like forced shit just so they can tick off some checklist that's all.

tbh I'm not even sure why I'm commenting once Avengers 4 & Phase 3 is over I don't really give a shit what happens after,

15. Post
    its the fact how random this announcement comes across as. Usually Feige will tease upcoming projects like he did for Black Panther and Dr Strange years before they came out hes made no mention of this character before and now theyre giving him a movie? This sounds like an order came from the top of Disney telling Feige hey you need to make a movie with an asian lead dont care what character it is but do it. How does this character fit into the over all arc of the MCU when were dealing with Mad titans and Infinity stones. etc it makes no sense.

16. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    its the fact how random this announcement comes across as. Usually Feige will tease upcoming projects like he did for Black Panther and Dr Strange years before they came out hes made no mention of this character before and now theyre giving him a movie? This sounds like an order came from the top of Disney telling Feige hey you need to make a movie with an asian lead dont care what character it is but do it. How does this character fit into the over all arc of the MCU when were dealing with Mad titans and Infinity stones. etc it makes no sense.
    IDK eh, the character was part of Heroes for Hire so that would be an easy in; additionally in the Marvel NOW! era he's in the Avengers.

I don't have a big issue with it - I mean the history of Asian under-representation in Hollywood is definitely a thing (e.g. https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...=.42a2e3d65fa4) and I get the impression that they're doing it to tick the diversity box, but I don't get the whole 'tickbox casting' comment.

Edit - is the the same group of people complaining about Captain Marvel being shoe-horned into the MCU because they need a strong female character? In which case I think I get it, y'all just need to get over yourselves

17. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Naturally? Like if it grows in the wild on a non-GMO movie tree?

Humour me and unpack that a bit. What's the difference between a movie starring a minority and one that's forced and shoehorned?

Bloody wrote:
    as an asian i do not need a " asian " superhero. There are plenty , the Marvel Universe or the whole comic book, anime, manga etc has plenty of Asian characters but were either white washed to sell more copies. That is not cool but you know, you are trying to sell to a market and so we get it, just dont try weasel insult us by pretending it is anything but a cash grab.

it is the same here, it is just appealing to us emotionally on a racial level, and less to do with the character being a good , interesting character with a long storied history which brings consumers to like or relate to the character. Nope, it is basically saying oh you asians are just racist, i guess the only way to sell more things to you is to pretend racist as well ! yeah ! Woohoo! we solved racism by being equally racist to everyone!~ yay!

i mean ffs, there is no S either, it should be Zh or Hs.. /shrug
    Plenty? Not in the movies, which is kind of the kind.

But how about you stop pretending that making movies is anything but a business? Every movie is a cash grab. That's how it all works.

18. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    IDK eh, the character was part of Heroes for Hire so that would be an easy in; additionally in the Marvel NOW! era he's in the Avengers.

I don't have a big issue with it - I mean the history of Asian under-representation in Hollywood is definitely a thing (e.g. https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...=.42a2e3d65fa4) and I get the impression that they're doing it to tick the diversity box, but I don't get the whole 'tickbox casting' comment.

Edit - is the the same group of people complaining about Captain Marvel being shoe-horned into the MCU because they need a strong female character? In which case I think I get it, y'all just need to get over yourselves
    Captain Marvel fits into the overal narrative tho. it has a purpose. it pushes the story forward. Also my tickbox comment is reffering to how studios only cast diverse actors because they have quotas to meet and its whats politcally correct at the time. If you were Disney and saw the success of crazy rich asians youd want a piece of that.

19. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    Captain Marvel fits into the overal narrative tho. it has a purpose. it pushes the story forward.
    And exactly how do you know what the overall narrative is post-Infinity war?

20. Post
    Such compelling and intelligent discussion in this thread. All this talk of quotas and political correctness...Marvel should just make stuff for white males all the time cos that's the only thing we are all interested in right?

21. Post
    You know it always turns into a cluster**** when anyone remotely criticises Disney & their obvious agenda lol

22. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    And exactly how do you know what the overall narrative is post-Infinity war?
    We don't know all of it obviously but we have hints. Because spoiler alert
    Spoiler:

23. Post
    Yes, but that precludes any other characters being involved?

24. Post
    For me, if Shang Chi doesn't get involved in a big Avengers fight then he's totally pointless as a character.

Unlike say black panther where they used Wakanda to stage a huge battle.

25. Post
    By that argument Hulk, Ant-Man and Hawkeye are kind of pointless eh