1. Post

Am I screwed? Travel Insurance

Phone was stolen at 1130pm that night, booked accom at 445pm, we left the house at 330pm. Destination is about 3 hours away. They have denied my claim since I booked the accom after leaving home is their reason. Sorry my english is poor and can't wrap my head around it. Company is InsureAndGo, and I have the annual multi trip + valuables extension. Are claims or IEMI #s shared with other providers?

'Trip
    Cover under section A – Cancelling and cutting short your
    holiday, starts at the time that you book the trip or pay the
    insurance premium, whichever is later. If you have arranged an
    annual multi-trip policy, cover under section A starts at the time
    that you book the trip or the start date shown on your validation
    certificate, whichever is later.
    Your holiday or journey starts when you leave the place you
    usually live or work (whichever is later), or from the start date
    shown on your validation certificate, whichever is later. The end
    of your trip is the date that you go back to the place you usually
    live or work (whichever is earlier), or at the end of the period
    shown on your validation certificate, whichever is earlier. Cover
    cannot start more than 24 hours before the booked departure
    time or end more than 24 hours after you get back. Your cover
    cannot start after you have left your home area (unless you are
    If, once you have left your home area and before the end of the
    policy, you decide that you want to extend your policy, you can
    ask InsureandGo to extend your cover by phoning
    +44 (0)207 748 0062 or e-mailing
    customer.services@insureandgo.com.'

2. Post
    I had a read through the policy but can't see how they have applied that. Do you have their response in writing that you can paste here?

3. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    I had a read through the policy but can't see how they have applied that. Do you have their response in writing that you can paste here?
    Not yet, I made the claim a week ago. They called today asking questions, how I got to my destinations, any receipts from the journey etc. Then asked what time I left, said mid afternoon. Was put on hold for 3-5 mins, then she came back and said since I had left home before making the booking that my claim is invalid. I asked/she insisted to escalate it, and then referred me to the OP policy quote to why it was denied.

Willing to send anyone few dollars or btc to help me wrap my head around this

4. Post
    I would argue that the booking is immaterial - whether you booked your accommodation in advance or after arriving, your phone might still have gotten stolen. I'm assuming the phone was stolen from the accommodation?

As per their policy the trip commenced when you left home. If the phone was stolen whilst in transit presumably it would have been covered.

5. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    I would argue that the booking is immaterial - whether you booked your accommodation in advance or after arriving, your phone might still have gotten stolen. I'm assuming the phone was stolen from the accommodation?

As per their policy the trip commenced when you left home. If the phone was stolen whilst in transit presumably it would have been covered.
    Phone was pickpocketed on a busy street. Once I realised it was gone, tracked it on findmyphone and placed into lost mode. The phone had already been bricked and turned off as It had plenty of battery at the time. I did a police report etc too.

6. Post
    logistics wrote:
    Phone was pickpocketed on a busy street. Once I realised it was gone, tracked it on findmyphone and placed into lost mode. The phone had already been bricked and turned off as It had plenty of battery at the time.
    Also just checking - you left your house, booked the accomodation after leaving the house, hopped on a plane and then on arrival overseas got your phone pickpocketed?

7. Post
    Send us a link to the full policy wording document.

When and how did you activate/purchase the insurance policy? ie when did you purchase the insurance

The policy should have a start and end date. Whether you booked the accommodation after leaving your home on the way to the airport sounds irrelevant.

8. Post
    ^ it's an annual/multi-trip policy, so the policy dates will cover the entire year but will need to be activated (or meet some threshold where they consider it a trip) somehow for each individual trip
    (https://www.insureandgo.com.au/image...005-157830.pdf I think)

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around why they are fighting it, but I suppose it could be how they define a holiday and/or how it is activated (although I don't see that it's that explicit in the policy).

For example:

a) You book flights for a week in Fiji. You arrive, and arrange accommodation. Because you have evidence that it was a planned holiday (i.e. you booked flights) then your insurance is active once you leave home despite arranging accommodation on arrival/en route.
    b) You decide to take a trip from say France to Belgium. You arrive, and arrange accommodation. Because there is no evidence that it was a planned holiday, your insurance is not active until you book the accommodation
    c) You drive from France to Belgium for work. You arrive and your phone gets stolen. You book accommodation so that it becomes a 'holiday' to defraud your travel insurance

I suppose they are trying to argue for case c), but even so if the theft occurred after the accommodation was booked it should still be covered? Like I could understand if the theft occurred when you arrived by car, and before you booked accommodation (but if you have flight bookings, then it's immaterial as that clearly demonstrates it was a planned trip)

9. Post
    Your holiday or journey starts when you leave the place you
    usually live or work (whichever is later), or from the start date
    shown on your validation certificate, whichever is later.
    The end
    of your trip is the date that you go back to the place you usually
    live or work (whichever is earlier), or at the end of the period
    shown on your validation certificate, whichever is earlier. Cover
    cannot start more than 24 hours before the booked departure
    time or end more than 24 hours after you get back. Your cover
    cannot start after you have left your home area (unless you are

If, once you have left your home area and before the end of the
    First bold says your cover starts when you leave, or when the policy says. Whichever is later. When does the policy state? If your policy states the day it was stolen or earlier, you would be covered.

When you book your accommodation should be completely irrelevant.

Also that quote is missing an important chunk that I have bolded that could override the first bold.

10. Post
    I think it's this policy:
    https://www.insureandgo.com/media/13...w_std_0918.pdf

He mentions insureandgo.com and has a +44 number.

This one states this:
    Annual multi-trip
    This gives you cover to travel as many times as you like during
    any one period of insurance, as long as no single trip lasts longer
    than 45 days (31 days if you are aged 66 or over). Under the
    Gold cover option the maximum length of a single trip is
    increased to 90 days if you are aged under 66. We also provide
    cover for up to 17 days for winter sports during the term of your
    policy (or 24 days if you have arranged Gold cover).
    We provide cover under all sections of this policy (apart from
    sections B and C) for holidays in your home area, as long as
    there is a minimum of 25 miles radius between your home and
    your pre-arranged and booked accommodation.
    However, that doesn't necessarily say, pre-arranged and booked prior to your departure. I'm having a look to see if I can find a definition as that could mean, "You don't just rock up to the hotel"

11. Post
    Attachment 224179

So all the real question, as to whether you are covered or not, is, "What is pre-arranged accommodation"

And it doesn't appear to clarify that, so go back to them and say, "I pre-arranged and booked the accommodation, I didn't just turn up and pay for it on the spot, there's nothing stating that pre-arranged means pre-arranged prior to my departure."

But if they come back and say, "Pre-arranged is defined as pre-arranged prior to departure" then yeah, you're not covered unless you want to fight semantics (which you could possibly win depending on how much the manager cares). If they can't provide any wording that defines it as that, though, then there's always a fight to be had.

12. Post
    I have the annual multi trip black policy plus the valuables extension. See attached my policy.
    On the call she directed me to page 14, and 'trip'. My destination was over 25 miles also.
    I purchased/activated the insurance about 8 weeks ago, and made this claim last Monday.

I don't get the booked accom thing either, or when I left and booked matters..what if I was staying with friends?

Attached Images

Last edited by logistics; 5th December 2018 at 1:39 pm.

13. Post
    logistics wrote:
    I have the annual multi trip black policy plus the valuables extension. See attached my policy.

On the call she directed me to page 14, and 'trip'. My destination was over 25 miles also.
    Yep, says the same and doesn't define pre-arranged.

We provide cover under all sections of this policy (apart from
    sections B and C) for holidays in your home area, as long as
    there is a minimum of 25 miles radius between your home and
    your pre-arranged and booked accommodation.
    It would mean they'd have to back cover you, though, for the period between leaving and booking the accommodation. So there's a fair argument on their side. EG, you could crash your car, then just book a hotel in the next town over and boom, car is covered.

With that argument I'd say you weren't covered.

14. Post
    logistics wrote:
    I purchased/activated the insurance about 8 weeks ago, and made this claim last Monday.

I don't get the booked accom thing either, or when I left and booked matters..what if I was staying with friends?
    It doesn't say, "pre-arranged and booked paid accommodation". So you'd supply an email or text message from your friends that says, "Looking forward to seeing you in [next town over] on 25 Jan, it's not too much of a hassle using your spare room, right?" dated last month and their reply going, "We're going to have so much fun, don't worry about it, it's a spare room for a reason"

It's basically, "I can prove that I had planned this trip prior to crashing my car"

15. Post
    doesn't vodafone or whoever have this insurance thing where you can pay $125 for a new phone? does that still even apply anymore?

16. Post
    holocaust wrote:
    doesn't vodafone or whoever have this insurance thing where you can pay $125 for a new phone? does that still even apply anymore?
    Yeah, well did 4 months ago. Pay $10 a month for insurance, then excess would be around $120 a year on first claim then $200 the second.

Update on my situation, still waiting for a call back. I have also sent an email requesting why it was denied in writing etc

17. Post
    after a few one way emails I received this today..

Thank you for contacting Travel Claims Services regarding your claim, I am sorry that a letter detailing the reason for the claim being declined has not been sent out to you.
    The claim states that the reason for the decline is due to the trip you went on not being to pre booked accommodation as you booked it whilst traveling to your final destination.
    Your policy states that - We provide cover under all sections of this policy (apart from Medical and other Expenses and Hospital Benefit) for holidays in your home area, as long as there is a minimum of 25 miles radius between your home and your pre-arranged and booked accommodation.
    The policy defines a trip being covered as follows Your holiday or journey starts when you leave the place you usually live or work (whichever is later), or from the start date shown on your validation certificate, whichever is later.

An appeal has been set up on your claim and you should be hearing from us shortly with the result of the appeal.

Please make sure you include the content of any previous emails if you need to come back to us. Failure to do so may require us to complete data protection again delaying our ability to assist you.

..What's to say I had originally planned to stay at my friends but was informed I couldn't anymore so booked accom? Which was discussed over text but no longer have the phone.

18. Post
    latest email..

'We acknowledge receipt of your correspondence concerning your claim for personal belongings and are very sorry to note the circumstances described.

We regret to advise that we will be unable to provide settlement on this occasion.

At this time, may we kindly refer you to page 7 of the policy wording booklet, Annual multi-trip policies, which states the following:

We provide cover under all sections of this policy (apart from sections B and C) for holidays in your home area, as long as there is a minimum of 25 miles radius between your home and your pre-arranged and booked accommodation.

After carefully considering your claim, we note that you booked your accommodation in the car on the way to Brighton and therefore it was not pre-arranged and booked.

Therefore, in light of the above, we are unfortunately unable to assist you with your claim on this occasion.

We appreciate our response will not come as good news to you; however, we trust our position has been fully clarified. If you feel that you have further information that you can provide us with, which may allow us to reconsider our position, please forward this to us by return.

We are very sorry that we are unable to assist you on this occasion. May we kindly advise that if you hold other insurance elsewhere, such as travel insurance through your bank account, you may be able to make your claim through them. Please contact us if you would like your documents returned for this purpose.'

Thought's on how I could go back to them on this? Technically I made the booking at my home so within the 25 mile radius. Could I somehow prove this? But when they first contacted me I was at work and not expecting it etc. They asked what time we left home for the destination which I couldn't exactly recall but said a time which was before the booking was actually made so apparently isn't pre arranged..
    Last edited by logistics; 12th January 2019 at 12:51 am.

19. Post
    logistics wrote:
    latest email..

Thought's on how I could go back to them on this? Technically I made the booking at my home so within the 25 mile radius. Could I somehow prove this? But when they first contacted me I was at work and not expecting it etc. They asked what time we left home for the destination which I couldn't exactly recall but said a time which was before the booking was actually made so apparently isn't pre arranged..
    Your story has changed.

logistics wrote:
    Phone was stolen at 1130pm that night, booked accom at 445pm, we left the house at 330pm.
    I believe they're justified.

20. Post
    Suck it up and move on, if you change your story now you could be done for insurance fraud

21. Post
    On that note to anyone reading this in the future, read your policy documents, what you're covered for and when you aren't, an insurance company's first port of call is to find out how they can get out of paying.

Also when you go to claim look at your policy documents before you "write" your claim...

22. Post
    Subway wrote:
    Also when you go to claim look at your policy documents before you "write" your claim...
    Yeah I got done like this. I thought someone stole my laptop bag from the overhead locker on a plane with my laptop, hdd and camera in it. Didn't notice until I'd got home. I didn't bother to file a police report as I wasn't 100% sure.
    Anyway, turns out you're not insured if you've just left something behind. That was an expensive lesson