1. Post
    krisby wrote:
    https://www.1-day.co.nz/products/ext...acing-car-blue

but it was $69 yesterday. It will likely be that price again.

Good idea starting from the bottom I guess, no point getting something pricey for a first off, in case they are crap or not interested.

My grand kids want a car too, having seen all mine, so not sure what to do, was going to get the 959 yesterday, but again, at 50kmh, to quick for a 5 and 8 year old, so I'm looking at something a bit more robust on trademe for them, I would get a WL Toys out of China, but then it won't be here for Xmas.
    Wow is that the same as this one? https://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-A959...r_warehouse=CN

Would 1-day be the cheapest to get WL Toys given that the banggood price is higher by more than double the 1-day sale price??

And to be honest - while the warehouse $39 option is "slow", that is probably a very good thing given that the training ground is around the house.

2. Post
    yes, the price fluctuates a lot.

Indeed, the warehouse one, whilst they get used maybe no too bad an idea.

The 70kmh version is on wish today for $80NZD in a bundle that includes 3 lipos, tho that might be better suited for you

3. Post
    krisby wrote:
    yes, the price fluctuates a lot.

Indeed, the warehouse one, whilst they get used maybe no too bad an idea.

The 70kmh version is on wish today for $80NZD in a bundle that includes 3 lipos, tho that might be better suited for you
    haha got a link? And yes - "that didn't last for very long" was the comment when "something went wrong with it" (ie. battery died)

Edit: found the link - well it won't let me see it. I guess I need to be a wish member to see it. Shipping adds quite a bit I think? Based on another wish product I was able to see.

4. Post
    if you sign up, then you can get discounts if you buy with other shoppers. So 3 batteries is $92, if someone else buys it within 1 hour of you buying it you get$11.20 refunded. Shipping is $18. The single battery version is $76 or $68.40 if someone else buys with you.

But shipping is slow, I only use wish for things I am prepared to wait for.

5. Post
    I could only afford a Tamiya Hornet as a kid. I soooo wanted a Boomerang or even better, a Bigwig. This thread makes me want to get back into it. I think I’d want a go-anywhere gas powered monster truck

6. Post
    This kind of shit makes me want to get into RC, look fun.

7. Post
    I had a Kyosho Optima when I was young, assembled it myself, put a 960 Gold motor in it with an 8.4v battery. Couldn't race it as it was overspec.

8. Post
    A few years ago I restored my dad's 80s Tamiya Hornet, and upgraded it with a black can motor, ball bearings in the transmission and hubs, etc.

It still wasn't very good by modern standards, and the tyres wear out ridiculously fast. Bit of fun, though.

9. Post
    GaR wrote:
    It still wasn't very good by modern standards, and the tyres wear out ridiculously fast. Bit of fun, though.
    Oh God yes - 2 laps around my local BMX track and the spiky tyres were like slicks!

10. Post
    GaR wrote:
    A few years ago I restored my dad's 80s Tamiya Hornet, and upgraded it with a black can motor, ball bearings in the transmission and hubs, etc.

A few weeks back a nephew I hadn't seen for 10 years came around, he was blabbering about something and how wonderful I was blah blah... something about an RC card. Penny just dropped, one day when he was 12 or 13 I gave him my optima and all the accessories. I had been cleaning out my garage.

11. Post
    It can be expensive if the bug bites. I'd wanted one as a kid but couldn't afford Tamiya. I did buy myself a king blackfoot at the turn of the century and that was pretty much it, until I recently discovered a mate had a hidden collection of vintage tamiyas, so I started too, and since May have gone from my one king blackfoot, to a vintage boomerang, vintage Fox, vintage frog, vintage blackfoot, vintage clodbuster, vintage Pajero, vintage Falcon, vintage lunchbox, Chevy S10 x 2, Overlander, Wildone, TXT-1, and a hornet rerelease I am rejigging as a SAnd Scorcher.

12. Post
    I really want a Tamiya Blackfoot... for my son...

13. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    I had a Kyosho Optima when I was young, assembled it myself, put a 960 Gold motor in it with an 8.4v battery. Couldn't race it as it was overspec.
    https://youtu.be/2Z8pgV74_Hw?t=73

14. Post
    krisby wrote:
    WL Toys 12428. .
    That one looks great from the reviews I've just seen, and up-gradable too. Might have to order one.

15. Post
    The A979 is on sale again with 1-day today.

The 12428 ain't bad. I've not upgraded yet as I've been focussing on my Tamiya's, but I think a brushless motor and ESC is in order.

16. Post
    Yeah I want something that's a tad off road as the other smaller ones look too flippy.

If I had $1500 to blow, I would get the Traxxas X-Maxx... that thing looks fun.

17. Post
    What about something for a 3yr old? First thought is to get something cheap cus dang he'll probably break it, but I don't want something that's gonna break easy. I was thinking something that you can't really crash, maybe something that flips if you hit a wall, and will run either way up?

18. Post
    There is something that does that, it looks like a dog bone, with the centre part rotating, so it can run either way up. can;t remember where I saw it, might have been the big red shed.

19. Post
    I just ordered the 12428. Do you have any battery recommendations as I'm guessing the stock one will be average?

20. Post
    the stock one is ok actually, its a 1500mah from memory. I ordered a 2200mah but the car cuts out after about a minute, then its ok 10 seconds later, then cuts out. so I suspect the stock ESC can't cope with the 2200mah. I was gonna use the spare 2200mah as a test when I convert one of my tamiya bashers to lipo, I might look at an upgraded ESC for the 12428 at some stage.

21. Post
    Sweet I'll try everything at stock before I grab upgrades. I didn't realise there would be such a big following for these Chinese cars.

22. Post
    normally for hte crap ones no, but WLtoys have done quite well. There is a bruiser clone out there too, called HG P407, exact replica of the 80s Tamiya Bruiser at 20% of hte price. I was gonna get one for Christmas but I was offered a TXT-1 at a price I can't refuse.

23. Post
    krisby wrote:
    There is a bruiser clone out there too, called HG P407, .
    "TOYATO"

Though it does look cool.

24. Post
    Been thinking of getting back into it myself loved my tamiya rc when I was young... been looking at Traxxas theres a couple of off roaders I've got my eye on