Page 1 of 3 123 Last

1. Post

Radio Controlled Cars - advice please?

Hi everyone sorry really didn't know where to post this. Please move if required.

I'm looking to buy a radio controlled car for an 8 year old and have no idea where to start.

BUDGET is really important as I don't want to spend too much BUT I know that cheap crappy ones will offer a really bad experience and also not be able to go around the various terrains that an 8 year old will want them to.

Can anyone help at all? What sort of cost would I need to spend to get something reasonable for an 8 year old? Is it worth importing?

I'm guessing that something with big rubber wheels would help it navigate more terrains.

And what's the situation with batteries these days? Taking AAs would help as I have a stack of rechargeables but I don't know if built in battery packs is the norm now.

A little 8 year old thanks you in advance!!!

2. Post

3. Post
    https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/pla.../R2070416.html

I got this for my 8 year old nephew. Dunno if he likes it or not yet but it looks pretty good. Takes AAs in both the car car and the remote

4. Post
    AliExpress is 100% the way to go something above 4.8mv and your good to go. We've got about 30 remote controlled cars and boats and some of the AliExpress stuff is amazing under $100

5. Post
    ludez wrote:
    AliExpress is 100% the way to go something above 4.8mv and your good to go. We've got about 30 remote controlled cars and boats and some of the AliExpress stuff is amazing under $100
    Hi can you please explain ">4.8mv"?

And how would the warehouse one above compare? I know they will be different classes but the warehouse offers instant gratification which has immeasurable benefit for an 8 year old lol

6. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/pla.../R2070416.html

I got this for my 8 year old nephew. Dunno if he likes it or not yet but it looks pretty good. Takes AAs in both the car car and the remote
    Snap, got the bigger version of this for my son when he turned 5 but from Farmers. Works great, rechargeable battery pack is a huge feature. Probably not grunty enough for an 8 year old idk

7. Post
    futsal wrote:
    Hi can you please explain ">4.8mv"?

And how would the warehouse one above compare? I know they will be different classes but the warehouse offers instant gratification which has immeasurable benefit for an 8 year old lol
    This would be a good start. https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/pla...5.html#start=1

8. Post
    This thread reminds me I should sort my shit out and sell all of my gear, thanks OP

9. Post
    futsal wrote:
    Hi everyone sorry really didn't know where to post this. Please move if required.

I'm looking to buy a radio controlled car for an 8 year old and have no idea where to start.

BUDGET is really important as I don't want to spend too much BUT I know that cheap crappy ones will offer a really bad experience and also not be able to go around the various terrains that an 8 year old will want them to.

Can anyone help at all? What sort of cost would I need to spend to get something reasonable for an 8 year old? Is it worth importing?

I'm guessing that something with big rubber wheels would help it navigate more terrains.

And what's the situation with batteries these days? Taking AAs would help as I have a stack of rechargeables but I don't know if built in battery packs is the norm now.

A little 8 year old thanks you in advance!!!
    dont waste your time with anything from the warehouse !! first crash and its a throw away. Get a Tamiya, Kyosha or even a HSP kit or pre-built RTR (ready to run). More expensive but allot more fun and parts will be available.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/toys-model...967e4f251a99d9

10. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    This thread reminds me I should sort my shit out and sell all of my gear, thanks OP
    Anything suitable for a little boy waits?

11. Post
    robrc12 wrote:
    dont waste your time with anything from the warehouse !! first crash and its a throw away. Get a Tamiya, Kyosha or even a HSP kit or pre-built RTR (ready to run). More expensive but allot more fun and parts will be available.
    This x 100

If you want it to last beyond Xmas day you're going to need to spend a little bit

12. Post
    futsal wrote:
    Anything suitable for a little boy waits?
    Honestly I'd like to say yes but I don't think I could, they're a little advanced for a kid who just wants to gravel/grass bash and probably outside of budget (even for older models)

If you want to humour the idea I have a thrash one that I'd sell ready to roll first and its a tamiya ta05-ifs (have a look on Google) with at least 75% of the parts replaced with upgrades/hop ups and digital radio gear

Gimmie a pm or something if you want pics of it

13. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    This x 100

If you want it to last beyond Xmas day you're going to need to spend a little bit
    Lies that one I bought is still going well 18 months later

When I was a kid it was all about Nikko v Tamiya

14. Post
    Apples and oranges

15. Post
    I know this is a decision I may live to regret but ultimately a $39 mistake isn't the end of the world.

Today was a bit of a treat/reward for said 8 year old for getting a school award (recognition of year round effort and achievement) so I was keen to make good on the promise of some sort of reward. An RC vehicle had been mentioned hence the question today, and it wasn't something I could plan as the award outcome wasn't predictable. Went for the $39 truck from Warehouse as it had an included battery pack for the vehicle and looked like it would do the job if looked after.

I think I will look back at it as a good way to at least test the water because some of the Tamiya prices were a little price watering and this kid doesn't even have a job yet!

16. Post
    futsal wrote:
    I know this is a decision I may live to regret but ultimately a $39 mistake isn't the end of the world.

Today was a bit of a treat/reward for said 8 year old for getting a school award (recognition of year round effort and achievement) so I was keen to make good on the promise of some sort of reward. An RC vehicle had been mentioned hence the question today, and it wasn't something I could plan as the award outcome wasn't predictable. Went for the $39 truck from Warehouse as it had an included battery pack for the vehicle and looked like it would do the job if looked after.

I think I will look back at it as a good way to at least test the water because some of the Tamiya prices were a little price watering and this kid doesn't even have a job yet!
    Sounds like you've got it under control glhf etc

17. Post
    Thanks - hopefully it doesn't spark a life of expensive RC hobby!!!

I recall fondly the RC car I had as a kid. I looked after it and it had few crashes. Was used predominantly around the house only although it was taken to a flat playground occasionally. Good times.

18. Post
    I used to have a Tamiya Ford Focus, that thing was awesome.

Also I had a $250AUD RC plane... Took it out once for a proper flight and the wind carried it away, spent hours walking through a blackberry covered pineforest, but no luck

19. Post
    hahahaha ^

20. Post
    I was gonna say, if Tamiya out of your league, then go on Banggood and get a WL Toys A959 or 12428. They are chinese but they are durable and quick. I've got 15 tamiyas, some vintage some more recent, and one each of the WL Toys for a fun bash. Parts are easy to get hold of, and the little one, the A959 does close to 50kmh, so possibly not the best for an 8 year old, but the 12428 is still close to 40kmh and handles better. Lipo batteries though, so only suitable for adults to charge, but you get most of the power for the duration of use,rather than the old days with AAs and NiCads where it just gets slower and slower over the 8ish minute useage time.

In fact, I wish I'd seen this thread yesterday, 1-day had the A959 for $69, I was tempted to get a second.

21. Post
    ^Just seen a YT vid of that A959, wow they are fast :O

22. Post
    there is a B spec version with a 540 motor that does 70kmh too. But that short wheel base and very little suspension travel makes it uncontrollable at 50kmh, let alone 70kmh. Its better on the beach mind, or on dirt, but in my cul de sac, if you don't have a deft touch of the steering, it will spin out, but its still going, no broken parts yet, I can't say the same about my tamiyas.

23. Post
    krisby wrote:
    In fact, I wish I'd seen this thread yesterday, 1-day had the A959 for $69, I was tempted to get a second.
    Can't find this on 1 day on the past deals pages. Do you have a link?

24. Post
    The warehouse truck ($39) was well received. A good start I think and I am aware I was paying a premium for instant gratification.

I like this discussion though as I will now start looking at upgrades!

25. Post
    https://www.1-day.co.nz/products/ext...acing-car-blue

but it was $69 yesterday. It will likely be that price again.

Good idea starting from the bottom I guess, no point getting something pricey for a first off, in case they are crap or not interested.

My grand kids want a car too, having seen all mine, so not sure what to do, was going to get the 959 yesterday, but again, at 50kmh, to quick for a 5 and 8 year old, so I'm looking at something a bit more robust on trademe for them, I would get a WL Toys out of China, but then it won't be here for Xmas.