Page 1 of 43 123411 ... Last

1. Computer

New Zealand vs Sri Lanka

http://scoring.nzc.nz/livescoring/ma...scorecard.aspx

The Sri Lankans are under way.

And it is a particularly dire first up effort. Sri Lanka showed some fight in the WI earlier this year, but were white washed by England at home.

Imo, anything less than a NZC demo job in the home test series will be a disappointment. NZC on its worst day still has more batting than the WI and kookaburra is less friendly than the Dukes...

2. Post
    After being 9 down for 104, Angelo remembers that he is a quality batsman, playing the leftovers after a NZ test XI, NZA XI, and 6 FC squads are playing Trophy cricket.

So he smashes a century and declares the innings at 210/9. Must be so frustrating for SL fans, to have a player with Angelo's talent, and his inability to recognize it as often as he should.

3. Post
    Tests

1st test 15 Dec Basin Reserve
    2nd test 26 Dec Hagley Oval

1st ODI 3 Jan Bay Oval
    2nd ODI 5 Jan Bay Oval
    3rd ODI 8 Jan Saxton Oval (Nelson?)

4. Post
    The only good part about this tour is that it gives me a chance to practice spelling synonyms for destroy.

We will annihilate them.

5. Post
    This is such a crap home summer. The highlight is literally the India 5 ODI's.

We don't even have a Guptill-Warner series.

6. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    We will annihilate them.
    After that excellent test series win against Pak don't want to see our standards drop against a much weaker team, we need to ruthlessly rip them to pieces 2 zip

7. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    This is such a crap home summer. The highlight is literally the India 5 ODI's.

We don't even have a Guptill-Warner series.
    We had to wait ages to start playing some international stuff, so very disappointing to have a rubbish home summer.

8. Post
    Despite being a good opportunity to blood some new players (Young, Ferguson), and positional changes (Latham), I canít see the selectors making any significant changes.

Somerville to get the nod as the sole spinner.

Raval
    Latham
    Williamson (c)
    Taylor
    Nicholls
    Watling (wk)
    de Grandhomme
    Southee
    Wagner
    Somerville
    Boult

9. Post
    oddjob wrote:
    Despite being a good opportunity to blood some new players (Young, Ferguson), and positional changes (Latham), I can’t see the selectors making any significant changes.

Somerville to get the nod as the sole spinner.

Raval
    Latham
    Williamson (c)
    Taylor
    Nicholls
    Watling (wk)
    de Grandhomme
    Southee
    Wagner
    Somerville
    Boult
    Its just so much tail with Southee at 8... he averages 17.5. But what if he is a genuine match winner... This is a tough one.

I'd drop Latham for Young as a much easier decision, but I suspect that they won't.

10. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    Its just so much tail with Southee at 8... he averages 17.5. But what if he is a genuine match winner... This is a tough one.

I'd drop Latham for Young as a much easier decision, but I suspect that they won't.
    Nah, CdG at 7 pretty strong at home... given he can find some form - and Latham, Ross, Raval too. Don't think we need another batsman in there personally.

11. Post
    <N> wrote:
    Nah, CdG at 7 pretty strong at home... given he can find some form - and Latham, Ross, Raval too. Don't think we need another batsman in there personally.
    I am not worried about SL and Bangla at all. I think NZA would roll them in tests over here. Seriously.

I am worried about touring Aus next year, and beating Eng and Ind at home...

I do not see Latham making runs next year. I do see Young making runs. CdG's batting may be useful in Aus - his bowling less so. He will be good at home next year for sure...

But we will need runs vs Aus, Ind and Eng.

I think ideally teams to keep balanced batting either go tail at 8 and 6 batsman plus keeper... or 2 allrounders (one bat one bowler) and tail at 9.

Even Aus and Ind in the current test are both playing 6 batsmen plus keeper... And even then India has Ashwin at 8...
    Last edited by Paddles; 9th December 2018 at 3:32 pm.

12. Post
    Young's form seems too good to ignore. Away and at home, looks the ideal guy to take to Asia too.

They won't drop Latham since they're grooming him as the next captain and all, but man... he needs to go to the middle order sooner rather than later.

13. Post
    <N> wrote:
    Young's form seems too good to ignore. Away and at home, looks the ideal guy to take to Asia too.

They won't drop Latham since they're grooming him as the next captain and all, but man... he needs to go to the middle order sooner rather than later.
    This was my opinion for a couple of years... but I changed my mind this UAE tour. Because this was Latham's chance to remind everyone how good he is against spin. And he just didn't do it for me. He looked lost.

As for next captain, he's only two years younger than KW, I very much doubt he will be the next perma captain unless NZC suffers a tragedy of a KW death or career ending injury...

14. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    This was my opinion for a couple of years... but I changed my mind this UAE tour. Because this was Latham's chance to remind everyone how good he is against spin. And he just didn't do it for me. He looked lost.

As for next captain, he's only two years younger than KW, I very much doubt he will be the next perma captain unless NZC suffers a tragedy of a KW death or career ending injury...
    I dunno, I think Kane will enjoy not being captain for a while... he will become even better when that happens I feel. No way he will be captain until he retires.

15. Post
    <N> wrote:
    I dunno, I think Kane will enjoy not being captain for a while... he will become even better when that happens I feel. No way he will be captain until he retires.
    NZC took it off Flem because Vettorri thought he wanted - Flem retired early and said goodbye NZC...

Vettori then discovered that he would rather be more free to play BBL and IPL than worry about captaining NZL... so he dropped it after his cycle... Oh McCullum retired early to stay at home with his family, and then play every t20 and t10 league there is...

I am going to be very worried if KW does not want to keep teh captaincy given his incredibly stellar season for SRH this year...

The last thing NZC needs is the star after Flem, Vettori and Bond to go the same way... (Bond to be fair was breaking down in longer formats)...

16. Post
    NZ team for SL named

1 Latham 2 Raval 3 KW 4 Ross 5 Nicholls 6 Watling 7 CdG 8 Southee 9 Wagner 10 Patel 11 Boult 12 Young 13 Henry

Rumours are Latham has kept his spot over Young...

17. Post
    Correct team named by Steady as she goes. The loyalty to Latham will result in a settled NZ team.

We will smash SL before the 5th day.

18. Post
    Can someone please tell me why in the world they'd drop Somerville after that stellar performance? This seems retarded as ****. What am I missing here?

19. Post
    mmd wrote:
    Can someone please tell me why in the world they'd drop Somerville after that stellar performance? This seems retarded as ****. What am I missing here?
    Someone had to be dropped and he is obviously lower on the pecking order than Patel.

I'd love them to show some courage and back Boult, Southee, Wagner and Patel to get 20 wickets.

1. Latham
    2. Raval
    3. KW
    4. Taylor
    5. Nichols
    6. Young
    7. Watling
    8. Patel
    9. Wagner
    10. Southee
    11. Boult

20. Post
    mmd wrote:
    Can you tell me why they'd drop Patel after his stellar performance over the series? You forgot his 5fer already? He has done nothing to be dropped, as good as Somerville was, Patel was in first. Patel has been good for many domestic seasons now. Somerville has played two games back for Auckland... loyalty should be rewarded in this case. This is NZ conditions, not UAE. Patel got 3-42 in the second innings of the 3rd test too, almost the exact same figures as Somerville.

Could also depend on how many right handers SL have.

Indigo1 wrote:
    Someone had to be dropped and he is obviously lower on the pecking order than Patel.

I'd love them to show some courage and back Boult, Southee, Wagner and Patel to get 20 wickets.

1. Latham
    2. Raval
    3. KW
    4. Taylor
    5. Nichols
    6. Young
    7. Watling
    8. Patel
    9. Wagner
    10. Southee
    11. Boult
    While I'd like to see Young get a go for sure, I think we shouldn't underestimate what CdG can do in NZ. He proved it last season, he can turn a game quickly... particularly against the likes of SL and Bangladesh.
    Last edited by <N>; 10th December 2018 at 9:30 pm.

21. Post
    <N> wrote:
    Can you tell me why they'd drop Patel after his stellar performance over the series? You forgot his 5fer already? He has done nothing to be dropped, as good as Somerville was, Patel was in first. Patel has been good for many domestic seasons now. Somerville has played two games back for Auckland... loyalty should be rewarded in this case. This is NZ conditions, not UAE. Patel got 3-42 in the second innings of the 3rd test too, almost the exact same figures as Somerville.

Could also depend on how many right handers SL have.

While I'd like to see Young get a go for sure, I think we shouldn't underestimate what CdG can do in NZ. He proved it last season, he can turn a game quickly... particularly against the likes of SL and Bangladesh.
    Yeah - I agree with N - this is my take. Versus England and India next year at home - CdG is an asset for the team. If India bat long, CdG bowls. If England bowlers get on top, CdG will get in behind it.

Vs Aus in Aus - I think his bowling will suck. But I also think Boult and Southee will suck at the SCG and MCG. And the entire tour depends on Wagner's bouncers.

But I do not know how his batting will go on Aus roads. He could easily smash Starc, Haze and Cummins for a 80 ball century. We all know this is true.

So - I am okay with the continuation of CdG post UAE - but Latham... while I see him plundering SL and Bangladesh for plenty - I would rather blood Young for next year instead - because I do not believe Tommy will score diddly against Starc, Cummins, Haze, Bumrah, Anderson, Broad, Shami, Sharma, Kumar, Woakes, TRJ... But I firmly believe that Will Young, could be a very solid test player who averages 40...

He's no KW... but he's no former or current opening failure like Ken Rutherford/Rod Latham/H Rutherford/Tom Latham either (yeah I went there)...

When I die, I am going NZC cricketing hell for that one, where all they have playing on video is Mushtaq, Waqar and Wasim cleaning NZ out in NZ in low scoring matches...
    Last edited by Paddles; 10th December 2018 at 10:05 pm.

22. Post
    Paddles wrote:

He's no KW... but he's no former or current opening failure like Ken Rutherford/Rod Latham/H Rutherford/Tom Latham either (yeah I went there)...

When I die, I am going NZC cricketing hell for that one, where all they have playing on video is Mushtaq, Waqar and Wasim cleaning NZ out in NZ in low scoring matches...
    Don’t call us we will call you

23. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    Don’t call us we will call you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l1LPwYC-LE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0xMd43bhzM

You're going to hell with me Wrighty...
    Last edited by Paddles; 11th December 2018 at 1:32 am.

24. Post
    In NZ conditions on most occasions we are only going to use one spinner in tests, but with newbie Somerville performing so bloody well he must be really peeved off been dropped.

25. Post
    signman wrote:
    In NZ conditions on most occasions we are only going to use one spinner in tests, but with newbie Somerville performing so bloody well he must be really peeved off been dropped.
    Given injuries to Tastle and Santner, he should be stoked to have played. He has a couple more seasons, and NZ has a tour to SL in the near future... I would have had Somer over Patel, but if SL have more rhb than lhb - it makes sense to go with Patel over him...