1. Post
    That was some of the best hitting I have ever seen...I was kinda hoping he was going to bring them home, simply for how amazing it would've been. That catching was terrible though, Ross's one was about the only one you could forgive. Henry is unlucky in a way, in both games he had several chances dropped which should've been swallowed.

2. Post
    Was great ball striking by Perera... but lets be honest was also some really atrocious bowling by us, we kept serving him up short/wide garbage that deserved to be smash all around the park, our catching was awful too.

3. Post
    aitkenmike wrote:
    Yep, and this is where I just can't get behind the 'can't win Man of the Match if your team doesn't win" approach. Whether or not we knock over the no. 11 here, Perera is the best player of the match.
    What's hard to understand about it ? ...M.O.T.M is the top award in the match to win, doesn't matter how well the bloke in the losing side plays, why reward the losing team ? winner takes all for me.

4. Post
    signman wrote:
    What's hard to understand about it ? ...M.O.T.M is the top award in the match to win, doesn't matter how well the bloke in the losing side plays, why reward the losing team ? winner takes all for me.
    Who was man of the match if not him?

5. Post
    Probably Neesham.

6. Post
    In this case for me would have to be between Munro, Taylor & Neesham... was impressed with Neesham's 64 off 37 balls, but any of those 3 batsmen would've deserved to win it.

7. Post
    cricinfo says player of the match was perrera

8. Post
    signman wrote:
    Not for me. No one from NZ came close to matching Perera's performance. This was one of the best ODI performances in NZ ever, deservedly got MOTM. It's not called 'Man of the match from the winning team'. Yes, we won - but it was more a team effort than any single performance. It's simply for the best performer on the day.

128-7 and almost getting your team home is monumental.

Don't think Munro, Ross or Neesham deserved it. Neesham has been the best performer over the two games though, all-round.

9. Post
    i feel like Tim Southee is NZ's reply to Nick Phipps

somehow gets selected constantly for the national team but not based on performance, and basically means you have given up

10. Post
    Abo wrote:

somehow gets selected constantly for the national team but not based on performance, and basically means you have given up
    His test spot is warranted, especially at home or in swinging/seaming conditions. His white-ball spot has been pretty much unwarranted since the last WC.

11. Post
    Abo wrote:
    That's below the belt

12. Post
    <N> wrote:
    Not for me. No one from NZ came close to matching Perera's performance. This was one of the best ODI performances in NZ ever, deservedly got MOTM. It's not called 'Man of the match from the winning team'. Yes, we won - but it was more a team effort than any single performance. It's simply for the best performer on the day.

Don't think Munro, Ross or Neesham deserved it. Neesham has been the best performer over the two games though, all-round.

I thought Perera's innings was pretty ugly to look at.

Lot's of luck, brute strength and great hand-eye.

You see innings like that every so often, but seldom so effective.

Mind you it was nothing without Tim's final over.

I'll remember that for a long time.

13. Post
    <N> wrote:

That's fine you have your opinion I have mine, just much prefer the very competitive approach of winner takes all.

To have them down 128-7 then for them to be able to have a very good chance of winning was basically about us taking the foot off the throat through abysmal fielding & bowling, we only had to do the basics well in those areas & they would've not got close.

14. Post
    Name:  images (1).jpg
Views: 96
Size:  8.9 KB
    3rd ODI {Nelson}
    Tue-8th Jan - 11am
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...anka-in-nelson

NZ (from) : Kane Williamson (c), Trent Boult, Doug Bracewell, Lockie Ferguson, Martin Guptill, Matt Henry, Colin Munro, Jimmy Neesham, Henry Nicholls, Tim Seifert, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor.

SRI LANKA (from) : Lasith Malinga (captain), Niroshan Dickwella, Danushka Gunathilaka, Kusal Janith Perera, Dinesh Chandimal, Asela Gunaratne, Kusal Mendis, Dhananjaya de Silva, Thisara Perera, Dasun Shanaka, Lakshan Sandakan, Seekkuge Prasanna, Dushmantha Chameera, Kasun Rajitha, Nuwan Pradeep, Lahiru Kumara.

Odds : NZ $1.32 - Sri Lanka $3.40
    https://www.tab.co.nz/in-play/event/...nd-v-sri-lanka
    Last edited by signman; 8th January 2019 at 1:03 pm.

15. Post
    @signman

I can't easily locate our exchange about Guptill to quote your last post however I wanted to say, another reason why Guptill fails in tests is that the red ball swings until the 40th over while the white ball for all intents and purposes doesn't swing at all (at most for 2 overs).

16. Post
    <N> wrote:
    His test spot is warranted, especially at home or in swinging/seaming conditions. His white-ball spot has been pretty much unwarranted since the last WC.
    Can't disagree, even though I think Matt Henry is a terrible bowler.

What I can't fathom is people who think he isn't a premier test bowler based on lackluster limited overs performances. He is absolutely a key part of our test side.

17. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    @signman

I can't easily locate our exchange about Guptill to quote your last post however I wanted to say, another reason why Guptill fails in tests is that the red ball swings until the 40th over while the white ball for all intents and purposes doesn't swing at all (at most for 2 overs).
    Fair points wrighty... Guppy generally isn't a big mover of the feet anyway, but definitely gets his feet working far better in ODIs than tests, my point is if he can take that confidence into tests concerning better footwork he'd get in line with the ball better also get closer to the pitch of it, making his defence solid & shot making more controlled.

18. Post
    signman wrote:
    Every time this happens you bang on about it, sounding like a bit of a broken record really.

Perera deserved it, he rode his luck and almost got his team home with some amazing hitting when they were really under the pump.

Also, I'm wondering wtf Henry is in the side for? Another mid 130s trundler who does nothing with the ball.

19. Post
    ErAd wrote:
    Every time this happens you bang on about it, sounding like a bit of a broken record really.

Perera deserved it, he rode his luck and almost got his team home with some amazing hitting when they were really under the pump.

Also, I'm wondering wtf Henry is in the side for? Another mid 130s trundler who does nothing with the ball.
    Well, if you want to reward the other team for losing that's your choice.

Yeah, Henry offers stuff all, prefer a bloke like Bennett in the squad, has more pace & better accuracy, it happens in all sport where you know a player is better than someone else in a squad, but hardly gets a chance.

20. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    @signman

I think his biggest problem in tests was that he tried to bat like a test bats and dab the ball, often getting caught batting around his front pad where the ball missed the bat (lbw or bwl) or he got a leading edge...

He should have just smashed it like Sehwag, Warner, Shaw... and played to his strength... but he never did...

21. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    I think his biggest problem in tests was that he tried to bat like a test bats and dab the ball, often getting caught batting around his front pad where the ball missed the bat (lbw or bwl) or he got a leading edge...

He should have just smashed it like Sehwag, Warner, Shaw... and played to his strength... but he never did...
    In his last incarnation he "Sort of" took some aggressive license. I remember one or two power hits one bounce for four through cow corner when the ball was new. Didn't totally commit to the approach though.

22. Post
    ErAd wrote:

He has a decent ODI record and like all bowlers around the world now finds it more challenging that the white ball doesn't swing.

I actually felt he played an understated game in the last match by completely drying up Kusal leading to his wicket.

There was a movement that Henry should play ahead of Southee. I don't know how I feel about that movement.

Personally I would like to see Bracewell open the bowling in the final match, both from a rotation/injury prevention perspective and also because he performed credibly against India A with the ball.
    I want to see if he can justify a spot as a front line seamer.

23. Post
    Paddles wrote:

Yeah, for a batsman to play to the best of his ability they have to play their natural game, Guppy tended to play too cautiously in test matches, therefore got caught in two minds so got out very softly a fair few times.

24. Post
    How’s the weather in Nelson?

25. Post
    Would have liked to see Doug get a go over Henry... Let's hope we set a sizeable total, our pace attack without Boult looks a little vulnerable.