EPIC launches new digital store - Will compete with Steam/Origin

Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
(8 votes)
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

EPIC launches new digital store - Will compete with Steam/Origin

The big news out of this is 88% revenue will go to developers.

Epic Launches Digital Games Store With 88 Percent Revenue Going To Developers

Epic Games, developer of titles like Fortnite, the first Gears of War trilogy, and Unreal Tournament, has announced the creation of a new digital PC store that hopes to compete with Steam by offering an unprecedented revenue split for developers.

The Epic Games Store is launching as a full-fledged game marketplace supporting all sorts of titles. The Fortnite developer hopes to incentivize developers to come over to the Epic Games Store by pushing the revenue split for software further than any platform holder has before, giving developers 88 percent of the revenues while keeping 12 percent for overhead. This is a big change considering the traditional industry standard for digital revenue split usually gives 30 percent to the store owner, whether it be Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple, Android, or Valve. Perhaps anticipating this move, Valve recently made adjustments to Steam's revenue model, but only above certain thresholds that most games won't hit.

“As a developer ourselves, we have always wanted a platform with great economics that connects us directly with our players,” Epic Games founder and CEO Tim Sweeney said in a press statement. “Thanks to the success of Fortnite, we now have this and are ready to share it with other developers.”

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/12...-to-developers

EPIC is already causing controversy and shaking things up. They announced that Ashen which was originally set for the windows store and steam on PC will now be exclusive to their new digital store for the foreseeable future.

https://gamerant.com/epic-games-stor...e-controversy/

2. Post
    Steam finally has some serious competition from someone with a deep warchest (Unreal Engine licensing money, Fortnite money, Tencent money) to take them on, which is great. Steam's recent revenue share discounts only really benefit big publishers, not indies.

This is all well and good but for us gamers they have a refund policy they're gonna give free games throughout 2019, starting with Subnautica this week and Super Meat Boy in a few weeks.

The Epic Games store will give away a free game every two weeks in 2019

3. Post
    Free Subnautica? I'll put aside my distaste for yet another launcher for now

4. Post
    Caffeine wrote:
    Free Subnautica? I'll put aside my distaste for yet another launcher for now
    Free! Nice

5. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Free! Nice
    In just another 4 or 5 days it seems. That's good, it was in my steam wish list.

6. Post
    Competition is good, free games, higher profits for developers. Your move, Steam.

7. Post
    Caffeine wrote:
    I'll put aside my distaste for yet another launcher for now
    I would love to know the issue with more competition in the market? You really just want one store? How do multiple "launchers" really affect anything?
    I have my installed games shortcutted so I never use the launcher aspect, and never go into Steam, GOG, Origin, etc unless I am buying, browsing, or installing. It's hardly inconvenient, and a lot less hassle than disc swapping.

8. Post
    Its just another program to run, which can be annoying. I've got 4 at the moment, I'd really prefer not to have another one.

However, I'm all for more money to go to the devs - I didn't realise Steam took such a big cut. And free Subnautica sounds like a good deal.

Perhaps we might even see some innovation out of Valve!

9. Post
    Will this get Valve back to making games (HL3), who knows.

10. Post
    Wally Simmonds wrote:
    Its just another program to run, which can be annoying. I've got 4 at the moment, I'd really prefer not to have another one.
    16GB RAM is standard these days, it's trivial. If you're running 300 tabs in some shitty memory hog browser like Chrome while trying to run a AAA game then it's a YOU problem - learn self-control (eg of how many tabs you have opened), drop garbage Chrome or buy more RAM.

Contrast this with how f*cked TV watching is these days, all of these exclusive programmes tied to a half-dozen different streaming platforms which require a monthly paid sub. PC games exclusive various services? You pay one time fee for a game and you own it.

11. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    I would love to know the issue with more competition in the market? You really just want one store? How do multiple "launchers" really affect anything?
    I have my installed games shortcutted so I never use the launcher aspect, and never go into Steam, GOG, Origin, etc unless I am buying, browsing, or installing. It's hardly inconvenient, and a lot less hassle than disc swapping.
    Woah, easy there! I don't have any issue with competition. Basically what Wally said and nothing to do with what Eva said. I know it's a me problem, but I just find it annoying having to manage so many different digital distribution platforms and accounts. I now have 6 installed on my pc (counting Capsule, but that died a while ago). Maybe even 7 if windows/windows store counts. It's just something I find personally annoying and can't debate the topic further that that!

In the last few years I somehow managed to create two uplay accounts and only realised after buying Far Cry 5 and noticing missing games in uplay from years gone by (I know, I'm an idiot). Props to ubisoft for merging my accounts together (though only after a week of proving purchases for several different games), but it's just a symptom of digital life these days. So many god damned accounts and platforms to keep a track of [/old man rant].
    Last edited by Caffeine; 11th December 2018 at 8:08 am.

12. Post
    Fair enough, sorry I did phrase that poorly. I have no idea what Eva said. I've had him blocked for a while now. My life is better not seeing his drivel.
    Personally I think the complaint about "too many" launchers is a bit weak. If we get to the point where there are 20+ of them, then sure. But as I said I really don't see what the issue is. Just shortcut everything and it's not even remotely an issue.
    I have installed/use on my PC right now. Steam, Origin, uPlay, GOG, Beamdog, Bethesda Launcher, Playfire, Itch.io, Gamersgate, EpicStore, HumbleStore, Amazon, and the Windows Store. Most of those have their own library and/or launcher, and there is no issue imo. I use the same method I've used since Windows XP - a folder with game short cuts. I own well over 1500 digital games, and while most of those are on Steam I have multiple on every other platform except the new Epic store which currently only has Ashen.

Over time things will calm down as the market decides how many is too many, and what customers are willing to deal with. I like Steam but its hardly consumer friendly and needs to improve. Valve may have paved the way for digital distribution, but they've become complacent imo.

No doubt someone will create a curation, and management front end for the multiple libraries at some point.

The Steam or Die mantra I see oft repeated needs to end. Monopolies are good for no one.

13. Post
    So there are PC gamers having a cry because Super Meat Boy is going to be exclusive on Epic for 12 months.
    Jesus, there are some delicate wee flowers out there. You can still buy the game and play it on your PC. Grow up to anyone getting pissed about this.

14. Post
    Well, i am sure Valve will release a Steam2 eventually, not a 3 tho since they have trouble counting past 2.. competition is good , Epic has the advantage of having a well used engine, the Unreal engine and any games using that gets the license fee waived as well if it is exclusive on their new digital store.

Your move Valve.

15. Post
    I'm digging the Epic launcher.... Fortnite and now this, shieeeet....they'll be so bloody rich they won't know what to do.

16. Post
    About time Valve got a kick up the arse

17. Post
    I am not a fan of what they have done with the launcher. However I am old and don't like change

18. Post
    IST wrote:
    I'm digging the Epic launcher.... Fortnite and now this, shieeeet....they'll be so bloody rich they won't know what to do.
    Me too! I think it needs a little UI work as it wont be great when their library increases.

19. Post
    Anyone have any issues retrieving passwords ? I had an account ages ago when they first started, ( 2016 ), made a new account, and tested account recovery, still not working,..

20. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Personally I think the complaint about "too many" launchers is a bit weak. If we get to the point where there are 20+ of them, then sure. But as I said I really don't see what the issue is. Just shortcut everything and it's not even remotely an issue.
    The inconvenience isn't completely negligible. Looking at one big list of all your games when deciding what to play next, or what to delete to make some space, is easier than doing it with five different lists.

Since my steam library dwarves my other ones, and since there is just more on the steam store that's what I have open by default. I tend to only open something like uplay when I have the urge to play something specific like For Honor. I naturally end up forgetting about most the non-steam games I own since I open up those libraries so rarely. Plus when I do there's a fairly decent chance I have to go through some annoying email verification process to get access to them again.

21. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Me too! I think it needs a little UI work as it wont be great when their library increases.
    The only thing that saddens me deeply (and I mean, a lot in terms of video game sadness) is that Paragon didn't live to see this.

It is still one of my favourite games of all time, and was sacrificed on the alter of Fortnite too soon in my opinion...it could of thrived with this new move

Apart from that though, mint new platform: UE4 up and atom takeover!

22. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    16GB RAM is standard these days, it's trivial. If you're running 300 tabs in some shitty memory hog browser like Chrome while trying to run a AAA game then it's a YOU problem - learn self-control (eg of how many tabs you have opened), drop garbage Chrome or buy more RAM.

Contrast this with how f*cked TV watching is these days, all of these exclusive programmes tied to a half-dozen different streaming platforms which require a monthly paid sub. PC games exclusive various services? You pay one time fee for a game and you own it.
    I’m selling my 32gb ddr4 ram kit

You can all the chrome tabs you want to your hearts desire

And thts changing too it won’t be long before there are a dozen subscription you need to get your games
    Publishers are pushing hard to copy The Netflix revenue model

23. Post
    Battle.Net
    Steam
    Epic Launcher
    Bethesda Launcher
    Origin
    Windows Store
    uPlay

Need moar launchers!!

24. Post
    windows store? lol you can't be serious