1. Post

QoS - Does anybody use it?

I share a network with a few other houses...and just realised how often I get ping spikes in gaming so I turned on QoS and it's helped heaps. I've suffered the necessary slow down in download speed, but I think it's worth it.

Anyone use it?
    Any recommendations for a router that would handle 200+Mbps QoS?

I can only get about 70Mbps through my Edgerouter POE.

This site is cool for testing - http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

2. Post
    If you have a router that can do it in both directions sure

krashersmasher wrote:
    I've suffered the necessary slow down in download speed, but I think it's worth it.
    That's because your router doesn't have the CPU capacity to use it, not because it's actually improving your download speed.

3. Post
    If I turn it on my online games perform worse for some reason
    Itís supposed to prioritise gaming data but somehow games have worse latency so I leave it off

No difference in speed either way

4. Post
    Analgia wrote:
    If you have a router that can do it in both directions sure

That's because your router doesn't have the CPU capacity to use it, not because it's actually improving your download speed.
    Correct. Hence my question. I want two things in priority order. Faster games/voip data, (aka less bloat) and then I want fast downloads...which clearly requires a hell of a lot of CPU processing.

So..any ideas of hardware that would handle?

5. Post
    upgrade to a gigabit and you don't have to worry about it.

6. Post
    I wondered if that would help but wasn't convinced. Also, a windows update on the same network might still smash the connection.

7. Post
    In a very busy household with almost exclusively digital content consumption I've never seen us come close to saturating the gig connection.

8. Post
    How many connections are on that router? Some of the el cheapo ones can’t handle too much before they either overheat or the processor can no longer keep up

Could always try one of those fancy new “gaming” routers to see if it helps

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/com...p?partid=26068

9. Post
    It's not about saturation it's about latency when trying to shoot the bad mans or talk on the digital telephones. I have about 4 people on the connection, but about 10 devices.

I had 950/450 for a bit and the router handled fine.

10. Post
    QoS only matters if the network is saturated and packets have to queue (waiting in queue is where latency spikes come from). if the network is not saturated packets get sent right away.

how many of those 10 devices are wireless?

11. Post
    krashersmasher wrote:
    It's not about saturation it's about latency when trying to shoot the bad mans or talk on the digital telephones. I have about 4 people on the connection, but about 10 devices.

I had 950/450 for a bit and the router handled fine.
    I would have thought 10 would be fine but it’s not that far away from my own experience of the cheap routers that isps give out

I upgraded my own router to a Netgear Nighthawk X8 which has now has two wired connections and 23 wireless connections and so far latency and speed has been excellent
    Last edited by SirGrim; 18th December 2018 at 8:35 am.

12. Post
    I'm on the Ubiquity Edgerouter POE so it should handle well. We run a few TB of synced dropbox stuff for business here with people around the country updating it so it's that annoying off peak 500mb update somebody does and my ping goes munted...or when somebody is streaming netflix and everytime it buffers I get a ping spike.

I might just be being pedantic...but if you have spent 15 minutes looting, running, and hunting round in PUBG I really don't want a lag spike when I get in a firefight - also, I think it's harder for any game to smooth your ping when it's bouncing.

13. Post
    Have you considered just using the router's sped limiter? You should be able to navigate in the router's OS to a menu that let's you limit the amount of bandwidth delivered to each device that's connected - that way you can guarantee your gaming device always has some spare bandwidth available that no one else can use

e.g if your connection is 100mb, just set your device to unlimited and everyone else to 50mb, as long as your connection stays over 50mb then you'll have bandwidth just to yourself. If you still have latency issues then at least it rules this out as a cause

14. Post
    That's not a bad idea. I'm not sure how that would affect bufferbloat but I could experiment. The problem is that edgeOS is horrendous and there is no such easy menu to do such a thing! Boooooooo bad OS's suck.

15. Post
    lol wut, edgeOS kicks ass. it's linux and you can do what you want with it.

16. Post
    Routers are for peons.

17. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Routers are for peons.
    You're my peon.

18. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    lol wut, edgeOS kicks ass. it's linux and you can do what you want with it.
    You are correct, and incorrect. You can do all sorts...well, maybe you can. I can't cos I'm noob and need normal human instructions and menu items. It's pretty commonly accepted that that isn't their strong point. Other than that..it's awesome.

19. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    You're my peon.
    I think I'm in your old offices, it smells nasty. Like steroids and old socks.

20. Post
    Yeah sorry about that.

Actually thought that building wasn't earthquake ready.

21. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    I think I'm in your old offices, it smells nasty. Like steroids and old socks.
    What does steroids smell like

22. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Yeah sorry about that.

Actually thought that building wasn't earthquake ready.
    We hosed it down (obviously not enough!) and fixed it up.

- - - Updated - - -

SirGrim wrote:
    see privoxy

23. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Victory.

24. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Routers are for peons.
    Yeah OP, how many thousands of dollars can you afford?

25. Post
    Analgia wrote:
    Yeah OP, how many thousands of dollars can you afford?
    Lets just say I'm 10GbE ready underling.