Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Question

Need a new car. Advice? BMW vs Nissan vs Honda

Okay so I'm looking to buy a new car. I've been searching around and I've narrowed it down to 3 cars.
    All are 6 Speed speed manuals. Both the Nissan and Honda are 2006, the BMW is 2005.
    The Honda is a Front Wheel Drive, the BMW and Nissan is a Rear Wheel Drive

Most of my driving is done in 50-60km zones, but i do go over the highway in the weekend and have plans to drive out of the city, so i want plenty of overtaking power. I also like to go driving around the hills in the weekend. Theres 100km zones around the hill, but lots of corners with 35km recommended speed, but i like to take them faster so want something that handles well. My current car is an old Nissan 96 FWD Primera and it can safely at ease take 35km corners at about 50, but i have to slow right down for 25km corners. So not good enough.

It also rains quite a bit, maybe once a week on average. Sometimes it rains 3 days in a row, usually in winter, but it rains in summer a little bit also. Most of the time its dry though and i dont intend to drive hills in the rain, but i sometimes have to go over highway when it starts raining. Mostly if its raining ill just be driving to and from work though.

Hasnt snowed here in 8 years, but prone to black ice in winter mornings. Any advice or other recommendations appreticated.

$14000 Nissan: https://trademe.nz/motors/cars/nissa...ing/1848260456
    $10000 BMW: https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...f6a508b0699de9
    $12000 Honda: https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...a95edcbb6e4380

2. Post
    Euro R out of those would likely be my choice with BMW dead last. Just my opinion, not sure about reliability, performance, etc.

3. Post
    The Honda will turn better than the other two, the Nissan will be the most comfortable and probably be the fastest in a straight line and the BMW will have the most electronicy nick nacks and will likely break long before the other two.

4. Post
    I'd pick Honda because it will probably be the best for the twisties. Didn't actually check the BMW link mind you.

5. Post
    Get the Hoonda

6. Post
    Euro r 100%

7. Post
    The 320i isn't in the same category as the other two. You'd need a 330i to make that comparison fair.

I'd go the Honda. The Nissan is quicker in a straight line and would be better 4 up, but it's also thirstier and less agile.

8. Post
    I’d get an auto V36 Skyline (pre 7 speed) or an auto 330i.

Modern autos are pretty good and you get far more choice so much better value for money.

9. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    I'd pick Honda because it will probably be the best for the twisties. Didn't actually check the BMW link mind you.
    I thought RWD are better for twisties though

10. Post
    Don't get a 4 cylinder BMW of that era, too many things that can go wrong and they are slow. As others have said the 330i and would be go, probably the best all rounder out of those and is about as reliable as a modern BMW gets.

In saying that you'd want to drive a few examples of each to get an idea of what you like, everyone is different.

11. Post
    JTWOLF wrote:
    I thought RWD are better for twisties though
    Modern FWDs have pretty well put that myth to bed.

12. Post
    GaR wrote:
    Modern FWDs have pretty well put that myth to bed.
    Ok
    Last edited by JTWOLF; 17th December 2018 at 7:10 pm.

13. Post
    JTWOLF wrote:
    Would I be able to take a 35 bend at 90?
    There are a lot of factors there.

Out of your three choices, the Honda could certainly take such a corner fastest. That said, a P11 Primera in decent condition with decent tyres should be able to manage better than 50.

14. Post
    A RWD would take that corner tail out, borderline out of control. A decent FWD will take that corner on rails, pulling you through whilst ripping your face off.

I cannot agree more, DO NOT TOUCH A 4 BANGER BMW.

The Accord is by far best option.

15. Post
    GaR wrote:
    There are a lot of factors there.

Out of your three choices, the Honda could certainly take such a corner fastest. That said, a P11 Primera in decent condition with decent tyres should be able to manage better than 50.
    Yeah I guess it could. I got really bad under steer at about 70 though and almost crashed. Although it had started to rain.

16. Post
    Not sure if trolling or actually a danger to yourself and others on the road.

17. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    This

18. Post
    old Lewis Hamilton here..sounds like you need a 720s

19. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    This.

Dude needs a 1L daihatsu shopping cart to keep himself and others safe imo.

20. Post
    The Nissan and BMW you posted are very bad deals. There are a lot better Nissans and BMWs available for the money.

In regards to the 3 posted cars, the Honda is by far the winner.

21. Post
    JTWOLF wrote:
    Yeah I guess it could. I got really bad under steer at about 70 though and almost crashed. Although it had started to rain.
    Just a question, have you driven a car before?

22. Post
    han16 wrote:
    Just a question, have you driven a car before?
    Yeah ofc, theres not a lot you can do though if your wheel locks up and it wont go where you want it to go. It had only just started raining at the time, so i thought it would be alright, but misjudged
    Fragluton wrote:

AgrAde wrote:
    This.

Dude needs a 1L daihatsu shopping cart to keep himself and others safe imo.
    Im talking about 35 bends in 100 zones, so i aint speeding. 35 is just a recommended speed to take corners, which is actually quite a bit slower then it should be for some of them. Some of them could eaisly be 35 bends

GorGasm wrote:
    The Nissan and BMW you posted are very bad deals. There are a lot better Nissans and BMWs available for the money.

In regards to the 3 posted cars, the Honda is by far the winner.
    Is the Honda an alright price? Also unfournatly theres only 3 other bmws for sale in my city for around the same price and theyre older models

23. Post
    Check out the Fugas if you're interested in Skylines

Otherwise the Euro R seems a decent buy

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...1811355278.htm

24. Post
    Agree as above, stay away from the 4 cyl BMW.

25. Post
    GaR wrote:
    The 320i isn't in the same category as the other two. You'd need a 330i to make that comparison fair.
    Agreed. When I assessed my BMW E90 choices (323i, 325i, 330i, 335i), I did not even bother with the 320i as there were some bad experience stories online about them, and I chose the 330i, as I heard similar stories about the 335i too!