1. Post

Buy case & power supply before components decided?

I'm looking to build a new PC, old box is ancient so unlikely to salvage any parts for re-use for that. At moment I haven't decided what components to buy yet, and reading gpforums it seems hardware prices might drop next year.

So, is it practical & feasible to buy a case & power supply first if the internal parts are undecided? Clounge has case & PS that is on sale which I have my eye on, ends December.

PC will be mid gaming level, no VR or 4k settings.

TIA gp.

2. Post
    What is the case and PSU in question?

It's possible to do it that way for sure. Just make sure the case will fit what you need, motherboard size ATX/ mATX etc, radiator if going AIO cooling etc. Then for PSU, work out the wattage the parts you want might hit, and buy to suit. 650W should cover mid level gaming sweet. I went for 750W when building mine a few years back, also don't buy cheap cases or PSU's, you keep them longer than most other parts. Cheap cases don't tend to cool the best and cheap PSU's, well, just nah.

3. Post
    As long as the case is going to fit the potential components and the PSU is sized correctly sounds fine.

4. Post
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Fragluton wrote:
    What is the case and PSU in question?
    Fragluton - it's the inwin101 case here https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/com...p?partid=31284
    and the inwin 650w fully modular ps here https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/com...p?partid=30244
    not sure about the quality of the components, or whether i should go up to the 850w PSU also from inwin for extra $40. was thinking of GPU of 1070(Ti) range ish, no overclocking or 16gb ram, 1 ssd and maybe 1 hdd

5. Post
    650W may hold you back if you are looking at upgrading in future.

6. Post
    I think 650W is fine for what you want it to do now.

I personally wouldnt worry too much about future upgrades because when that time comes you could sell your old rig as it is and buy a new bigger psu anyway to go with your new 2080 and 8 core cpu or whatever it is rather than using a 2-3 year old psu that you paid extra money for now even though you didnt need it.

7. Post
    Case and PSU look perfectly fine. 650W is fine for what you're talking about. If you need more, then you're probably buying a component that is expensive as f**k, so a new PSU won't be an issue at that point. Nvidia says you can run their top gaming card (2080Ti) off a 650W for example.

Only thing i'd do is check reviews on the case for cooling performance. I only had a quick look, but can't see what cooling options it has. My Fractal case for example fits 3 120mm fans up front with a filtered front. Check it has decent options for adding fans and the likes. IMO.

8. Post
    focus wrote:
    I think 650W is fine for what you want it to do now.

I personally wouldnt worry too much about future upgrades because when that time comes you could sell your old rig as it is and buy a new bigger psu anyway to go with your new 2080 and 8 core cpu or whatever it is rather than using a 2-3 year old psu that you paid extra money for now even though you didnt need it.
    +1