Results 51 to 75 of 191

  1. Post
    #51
    Pxndx wrote:
    Yeah I don't see the issue. Alcohol is more dangerous and useless.
    How dare you.

  2. Post
    #52
    Reefer Madness!

  3. Post
    #53
    Gesellschaft wrote:
    he's in cabinet actually dumb ass
    you think the leader of the opposition is in cabinet?

    damn, jacinda is so meta!

  4. Post
    #54
    Mancubus wrote:
    Reefer Madness!
    That's what Simon Dallow referred to it as, the Reeferendum. I thought it was quite funny.


  5. Post
    #56
    At someone who was going through 2 ounces a month, i can definitely attest to that. Not sure if i was dependent in the strictest sense of the word, but it was definitely habitual. I had this shitty routine of getting in from work, then unpacking and unwinding by getting wasted. Saturday morning, having a gaming session thinking "This will be better if i'm stoned". So basically, outside of work, i was high.

    Got to the stage where i didn't get any kind of high or buzz, i just got sleepy. Got sick of it and then just decided to stop. Getting made redundant from my job and then starting my IT course definitely helped. Broke up my routine, and with giving up work to study i just couldn't afford it. And i needed to be onto it - crammed a 3 year course into 9 months, so had no choice but to keep my brain in the game.

    Have had a puff now and again over the years if it's been going round at a party or whatever, and other than seeing it in movies and stuff and thinking "That'd be quite nice", i don't miss it.

    However, even at it's worst, the side effects were nothing like other widely used drugs like P and synthetic cannabis (and even alcohol). No hallucinations, no delusions, no violence. Just a mellowness to the point of sleep. I'll definitely be voting 'yes'.

  6. Post
    #57
    Some people are pre-dis positioned to addiction unfortunately and that makes it easier for them to get hooked on pretty much anything, it doesn't have to be a illegal drug - those same people can just as easily get hooked to consuming sugar, which has more side effects and causes more harm that cannabis can

  7. Post
    #58
    Mike Hosking


  8. Post
    #59
    His latest opinion piece in the Herald

  9. Post
    #60
    Mike Hosking wrote:
    Why is being morbidly obese any more or less worrisome than having your brain fried by cannabis?

    SirGrim: I wasn't aware that cannabis is frying the brains of more than half the population and causing millions and millions in health costs - you know, like Obesity, cough sugar tax, cough

    If we're happy to have kids turned into zombies from a bit much dope, why on earth do we complain about the cost of diabetes treatment, or fat kids, or liver cancer.

    SirGrim: Again, twat, all of those ailments mentioned cause far more cost to society than cannabis has or can

    Has making drugs a criminal activity worked? No, not overtly successfully, which of course is the government's argument.

    SirGrim: Prohibition has never worked, if someone wants something they will find a way to get it, it's that simple, the only thing you can do is find the best way to pickup the pieces or prevent it via education in the first place, what you need to change is the Will, because you can't stop the Way

    But it's no less successful than domestic violence or dangerous driving, are we making those health issues as well?

    SirGrim: Actually that's exactly what they've done, there are numerous helplines and education programmed for domestic violence focused on communication and education, not conviction - in other words prevention is better than a cure (not that you have the cure anyway)
    ...
    Last edited by SirGrim; 20th December 2018 at 10:35 pm.

  10. Post
    #61
    That is what a lot of people think and they aren't going to change their minds any more than you are going to change yours.

    It is going to be entertaining to watch the legalise faction tie themselves into knots with all the "official" justifications they don't actually believe or care about when the truth is they just want to smoke weed...

  11. Post
    #62
    The "wont someone think of the children" tact always puts a bullseye on the muppets.

    Like a quest marker on an NPC.

  12. Post
    #63
    Hosking is just mad that his mother drank alcohol while pregnant and no one was thinking of him

  13. Post
    #64
    Frederick James wrote:
    Have had a puff now and again over the years if it's been going round at a party or whatever, and other than seeing it in movies and stuff and thinking "That'd be quite nice", i don't miss it.
    Its always the thing with any habit... that would be quite nice just one more time... It's not... you're not seeing the big picture when you think like that... about all the other shit that could happen if you did whatever "just one more time." I catch myself like that with shit I did more than 10 years ago now, then I go yeah but... what about the rest of the sit that came with it when I was at my worst.

    The thing with most addicts, and I've seen this with various housemates... is that they relapse right back to where they were when they stopped because of the lack of self-control and the addiction disorder.

    Mind you, personal choice whatever, I'd be voting yes.

  14. Post
    #65
    If I smoke more than 2 marijuanas Im finished. Totally addicted

  15. Post
    #66
    Sorry I couldn't pick this up from the article: are we discussing a move to legal production, distribution, private profit, taxation?

    Or is this purely about personal possession of small quantities? (ie the entire supply chain is in the shadows)

  16. Post
    #67
    Sounds like personal possession of small quantities. Not sure we are "progressive" enough to even contemplate a Canadian type model

  17. Post
    #68
    brand wrote:
    That is what a lot of people think and they aren't going to change their minds any more than you are going to change yours.
    Well actually...
    Frederick James wrote:

  18. Post
    #69
    ^ I personally think that with the prevalence these days of P and synthetics, weed looks pretty tame by comparison, and a lot of people who resisted its legalisation are now more open to the notion.

    Roumelio wrote:
    Its always the thing with any habit... that would be quite nice just one more time... It's not... you're not seeing the big picture when you think like that... about all the other shit that could happen if you did whatever "just one more time." I catch myself like that with shit I did more than 10 years ago now, then I go yeah but... what about the rest of the sit that came with it when I was at my worst.

    The thing with most addicts, and I've seen this with various housemates... is that they relapse right back to where they were when they stopped because of the lack of self-control and the addiction disorder.

    Mind you, personal choice whatever, I'd be voting yes.
    Well like I say, I have had the occasional puff at parties, events etc, but we’re talking maybe once a year kind of frequency, and it’s been fine - nice to do, and I haven’t relapsed.

  19. Post
    #70
    Thanks for posting, that was a great read. If that ~1 in 10 people develop a dependence stat is legit, that is pretty scary. I don't know what the stats are with alcohol, but I'd guess it isn't that high. Legalising the stuff just doesn't make any sense to me. It's clear that we (the population) have issues with maintaining personally responsible with alcohol, smoking, high calorie foods, gambling etc., so why do we think things will be any different with weed?

    The only benefits from it I can see are the economic ones; but if this was anything else, people would be up in arms at profiteering at the expense of health.

  20. Post
    #71
    Indigo1 wrote:
    Thanks for posting, that was a great read. If that ~1 in 10 people develop a dependence stat is legit, that is pretty scary. I don't know what the stats are with alcohol, but I'd guess it isn't that high. Legalising the stuff just doesn't make any sense to me. It's clear that we (the population) have issues with maintaining personally responsible with alcohol, smoking, high calorie foods, gambling etc., so why do we think things will be any different with weed?

    The only benefits from it I can see are the economic ones; but if this was anything else, people would be up in arms at profiteering at the expense of health.
    The war on drugs is a failure. Dishing out convictions for personal use is rather unjust, pointless and costs the country money. Knowing people that cannot enter certain countries because of a joint or have been let go of jobs because a background check came up with a weed conviction means more time on the benefit.

    Cannabis use is not going to go away, so although it has its problems, I believe that personal use with legal responsibilities to match is the best way forward.

  21. Post
    #72
    JoeSkie wrote:
    Well actually...
    That is a scientifically conducted poll consisting of a statistically representative portion of the population?

  22. Post
    #73
    ^ Come on man! You know it was never presented as a scientific study, but you can’t deny that’s a good indication of how the general population feel. I’d suggest that it’s one of the biggest news sites in the country so would be fairly representative.

    Agree with what swazi said.

  23. Post
    #74
    Frederick James wrote:
    ^ Come on man! You know it was never presented as a scientific study, but you can’t deny that’s a good indication of how the general population feel. I’d suggest that it’s one of the biggest news sites in the country so would be fairly representative.
    I don't know about you but I have never clicked on a stuff poll in my life -you would need to be high or something to waste your time like that...

  24. Post
    #75
    brand wrote:
    I don't know about you but I have never clicked on a stuff poll in my life -you would need to be high or something to waste your time like that...
    I clicked the poll because it took a split second and I was interested in the results. Agree that it’s a split second I’ll never get back, so that’s definitely a valid point