1. Post

Iím having trouble accessing an old IDE drive.

Iíve got an old 500GB Seagate Barracuda IDE hdd that Iím wanting to format and put in an old device that requires this style of drive.

Iíve connected it to a USB to IDE/SATA cable which has its own 240 volt power supply. My win 8.1 laptop can see it in minitool partition wizard, but I canít do anything with it.

Any suggestions?

2. Post
    Chickenman wrote:
    Iíve got an old 500GB Seagate Barracuda IDE hdd that Iím wanting to format and put in an old device that requires this style of drive.

Iíve connected it to a USB to IDE/SATA cable which has its own 240 volt power supply. My win 8.1 laptop can see it in minitool partition wizard, but I canít do anything with it.

Any suggestions?
    Does it need to be assigned a drive letter?

3. Post
    Can you see it in Disk Management

4. Post
    Lethargic wrote:
    Can you see it in Disk Management
    Yeah. Itís showing up as uninitialised. But when I try to initialise it as MBR, I get an error dialogue saying disk not ready.

5. Post
    Is there a pin in the master slot.

6. Post
    In hindsight I probably could have elaborated in my OP.

In disk management the Disk is recognised, but is uninitialised. Trying to initialise (MBR) comes up disk not ready.

In Minitool Partition wizard the disk is recognised as Ďread onlyí with MBR at 0mb.

In CMD Prompt, it appears as disc attributes ďread onlyĒ, assuming the internal drive is Disk 0 and this drive is Disk 1. Trying attributes clear disk (1) read only comes up as a fail.

Itís recognised as a connected USB drive, as if I have it visible in any program, I canít eject until I close those applications; as should be normally expected. However, it doesnít show up in my drive directory.

I have tried the above with jumpers (Master) and without (Slave) but no dice either way.

Would I be correct in assuming the drive is fooked?

If so, anybody know of a good IDE drive that might be available?

Cheers.

7. Post
    Maybe try https://gparted.org/livecd.php to exclude a weird windows issue?

8. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Maybe try https://gparted.org/livecd.php to exclude a weird windows issue?
    This.

Alternatively download Ubuntu desktop and burn the iso to a USB drive using rufus. Restart your PC and boot off the drive. Select Try Ubuntu. Then from the application menu there should be an app called 'Disks'. Launch that and you should be able to reformat your drive from there (selecting NTFS so it can be read in Windows).

9. Post
    Try this in command prompt:

At the command prompt, type Diskpart, press Enter.
    Type List Disk, press Enter.
    Type Select Disk # (where # is the number your drive shows up as), press Enter.
    Type Clean, press Enter.
    Type Exit, press Enter.

Alternatively download Fedora Media Writer and make a Fedora Workstation (or the XFCE spin if it's an old pc) USB then as above ^^, prefer this way as I don't 100% trust rufus.

10. Post
    Cheers guys. Iíll have a crack tonight/this weekend.