Results 51 to 75 of 151

Consuming Cannabis ...

44 people have voted on this poll. You may not vote on this poll

... is a health issue (discuss)
21 47.73%
... is a criminal act (discuss)
4 9.09%
... is like smoking and should be discouraged (discuss)
6 13.64%
... could be done another way (discuss)
13 29.55%
  1. Post
    #51
    Yeah pretty much, alcohol is a shit drug, we've just accepted it because its legal... but thats double sided also. You should wonder how much higher those number would be if things like heroin, and cocaine were legal and we're yet to have longitudinal studies on the increase of mental health health presentations since marijuana has been legalised around the world. That will take some years to develop.

  2. Post
    #52
    Roumelio wrote:
    Yeah pretty much, alcohol is a shit drug, we've just accepted it because its legal... but thats double sided also. You should wonder how much higher those number would be if things like heroin, and cocaine were legal and we're yet to have longitudinal studies on the increase of mental health health presentations since marijuana has been legalised around the world. That will take some years to develop.
    Places like Portugal have shown that legalization does not cause an increase in usage, I'm willing to bet without looking that for cannabis at least, US States will show the same/similar

    btw for the record I didn't circle cannabis & alcohol on the previous slides, I can only assume it was my lecturer who did

  3. Post
    #53
    WTF at the placement of Butane...
    People die huffing that stuff yet it's rated lower than weed on both indexes. That's wrong.

  4. Post
    #54
    I'm against criminalising people who want to smoke weed, although I admit it's at odds with NZ's Smokefree by 2025 campaign. As much as people will say "but edibles and vaping," the reality is most people will still consume it as marijuana cigarettes and in pipes. Are they gonna ban cigarette papers and pipes and criminalise the possession of homemade pipes?

  5. Post
    #55
    After spending 3 weeks in Cali, I can see less and less people burning dried leaves over the coming years. There are much more sensible ways to ingest it, if that's your thing.

    Cigarettes and pipes have as good a future as fossil fueled vehicles driven by hairless apes.

  6. Post
    #56
    ClavulanateV2 wrote:
    If anyone is interested:
    How the heck is buprenorphine so low? I don't know what constitutes "harm" in the metrics used here but the massive half life makes withdrawals more brutal than most other opiates and it's pretty much the cheapest other than fentanyl (& derivatives) if you're not on an easy trafficking route.

    Does it assume medically sourced supply?

  7. Post
    #57


    The analysis was undertaken in a two-stage process. Thechoice of harm criteria was made during a special meeting in 2009 of the UK Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), which was convened for this purpose. At this meeting, from first principles and with the MCDA approach, members identified 16 harm criteria (figure 1). Nine relate to the harms that a drug produces in the individual and seven to the harms to others both in the UK and overseas. These harms are clustered into five subgroups representing physical, psychological, and social harms. The extent of individual harm is shown by the criteria listed as to users, whereas most criteria listed as to others take account indirectly of the numbers of users.
    Then they scored the drugs from 0-100 with 100 being the most harmful, after that they compared the drugs which scored 100 across all criteria which was done to try explain why some drugs scoring 100 are more harmful than others.

  8. Post
    #58



  9. Post
    #59
    Also from this, which probably has some dubious sources but meh:






  10. Post
    #60
    It clearly should be legalised and regulated.

  11. Post
    #61
    This shit is so psychologically ingrained into my nugget that I'll quit and always find a way back after a few months or years. I'd say we need a lot more specialist in treatment and support areas too.

  12. Post
    #62
    Independent Survery of 1000 people

    When asked how they will vote in the reeferedrum

    Party breakdown

    Green Party supporters were most in favour, with 84 percent saying they would vote yes. National supporters were least likely to support it, with just 33 percent support.

    ACT: 49 percent yes/ 26 percent no
    Green: 84 percent / 14 percent
    Labour: 63 percent / 17 percent
    National: 33 percent / 48 percent
    NZ First: 56 percent / 26 percent
    Age breakdown

    Surprisingly, more people between 25-34 would vote yes than people aged between 18-24. At the other end of the age scale, more people over 75 would vote yes than people between 65-74.

    18 - 24 years: 68 percent agree
    25 - 34 years: 75 percent agree
    33 - 44 years: 72 percent agree
    45 - 54 years: 58 percent agree
    55 - 64 years: 58 percent agree
    65 - 74 years: 30 percent agree
    75yrs or over: 37 percent agree

  13. Post
    #63
    Lethargic wrote:
    Also from this, which probably has some dubious sources but meh:
    Quite surprised to see how high doctor prescribed opiod/pain meds rank - it's super highly regulated and the U.S it's not uncommon for doctors to make patients on opiods do regular drug tests to check they aren't abusing their dosages - not sure if that gets done here or not

    Either way, the actual harm indexes are really high - obviously opiods/morphine/heroin are some of the worst drugs but still did not expect it to cause that much damage when its prescribed and regulated. Clearly we need alternative pain meds asap!

  14. Post
    #64
    SirGrim wrote:
    Independent Survery of 1000 people

    When asked how they will vote in the reeferedrum

    Party breakdown

    Green Party supporters were most in favour, with 84 percent saying they would vote yes. National supporters were least likely to support it, with just 33 percent support.

    ACT: 49 percent yes/ 26 percent no
    Green: 84 percent / 14 percent
    Labour: 63 percent / 17 percent
    National: 33 percent / 48 percent
    NZ First: 56 percent / 26 percent
    Age breakdown

    Surprisingly, more people between 25-34 would vote yes than people aged between 18-24. At the other end of the age scale, more people over 75 would vote yes than people between 65-74.

    18 - 24 years: 68 percent agree
    25 - 34 years: 75 percent agree
    33 - 44 years: 72 percent agree
    45 - 54 years: 58 percent agree
    55 - 64 years: 58 percent agree
    65 - 74 years: 30 percent agree
    75yrs or over: 37 percent agree
    Tying the referendum in with the election if a pretty good ploy to get Green voters out and voting, well played COL

  15. Post
    #65
    Would tieing the tax take from the cannabis to education or some other useful thing influence people's choice?

  16. Post
    #66
    I think most of the people against it would be harder to convince at this stage.

  17. Post
    #67
    bradc wrote:
    I think most of the people against it would be harder to convince at this stage.
    There still seems to be latent moral issues about it still. I have not personally smoked the stuff but my perception is that it is less harmful than alcohol and I think if more people were educated about the reasons behind that they may be more inclined to vote yes.

  18. Post
    #68
    Yeah, what I was trying to say is that the remainders clinging to the moral issue will tend to be more fundamentalists. A lot harder to convert.

  19. Post
    #69
    Those poll results are pretty favourable. I'm surprise by National supporters though. I knew it'd be low, but only 33% YES is still a bit shocking.

  20. Post
    #70
    s0cks wrote:
    Those poll results are pretty favourable. I'm surprise by National supporters though. I knew it'd be low, but only 33% YES is still a bit shocking.
    I'm sure that number would be quite different if it wasn't tied to a Labour/Greens referendum.

  21. Post
    #71
    bradc wrote:
    Yeah, what I was trying to say is that the remainders clinging to the moral issue will tend to be more fundamentalists. A lot harder to convert.
    Yeah eventually they just double down on it

  22. Post
    #72
    ClavulanateV2 wrote:
    Places like Portugal have shown that legalization does not cause an increase in usage, I'm willing to bet without looking that for cannabis at least, US States will show the same/similar

    btw for the record I didn't circle cannabis & alcohol on the previous slides, I can only assume it was my lecturer who did
    Cocaine and Heroin are not legal in Portugal. It's decriminalised. You can't buy it in a shop.

  23. Post
    #73
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    Cocaine and Heroin are not legal in Portugal. It's decriminalised. You can't buy it in a shop.
    Good thing we're not legalizing highly cocaine and heroin aye champ

  24. Post
    #74
    Roumelio wrote:
    Yeah pretty much, alcohol is a shit drug, we've just accepted it because its legal... but thats double sided also. You should wonder how much higher those number would be if things like heroin, and cocaine were legal and we're yet to have longitudinal studies on the increase of mental health health presentations since marijuana has been legalised around the world. That will take some years to develop.
    ClavulanateV2 wrote:
    Places like Portugal have shown that legalization does not cause an increase in usage, I'm willing to bet without looking that for cannabis at least, US States will show the same/similar

    btw for the record I didn't circle cannabis & alcohol on the previous slides, I can only assume it was my lecturer who did
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    Cocaine and Heroin are not legal in Portugal. It's decriminalised. You can't buy it in a shop.
    They way you wrote your post made it seem like you were talking about cocaine and heroin champ.

  25. Post
    #75
    Mr sika wrote:
    I have not personally smoked the stuff
    What kind of nerd-fest was your young-adulthood?

    Lethargic wrote:
    That's obviously nonsense. Heroin deserves to be high on the dependence and social harm but it's not actually bad for your body, it's pretty much the same shit you get from a doctor in a hospital. Meanwhile alcohol and tobacco are rated as low physical harm and benzos (Valium/Xanax/etc) are rated as low dependence which is ridiculous.

    There's an agenda there somewhere, it's not representative of reality at all.