ATLAS - Ark with pirates, monsters, and a lot of baggage.

Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
(3 votes)

1. Post
    dirt rally was early access of acceptable quality to charge money for. THIS game, is not. why should calling something "early access" be a free pass to toss your unplayable janky mess on steam and collect money for it. many of them never make it to release status.

2. Post
    JRS wrote:
    dirt rally was early access of acceptable quality to charge money for. THIS game, is not. why should calling something "early access" be a free pass to toss your unplayable janky mess on steam and collect money for it. many of them never make it to release status.

Because it being janky or unplayable are two of the risks for any Early Access title. Hell, its likely there will be significant issue. Because its Early Access!
    If you want polished and complete then just wait until its actually fully released. It's a pretty simple concept. If its still janky and unplayable, then and only then are the complaints valid.
    The complaints here are no different than people bitching that an advanced screening of a movie had incomplete VFX and missing foley.

3. Post
    GaR wrote:
    His is a nuanced look at the situation. He's not doing what you're accusing him of. You're the one who's shitposting, and I strongly suggest you address the posts at hand rather than nursing old grudges.
    You accuse me of not reading posts despite the fact you clearly didn't read mine properly along with veiled insults, which is fine and often the norm around here but don't then act like you're above it.

ChrisB wrote:

Because it being janky or unplayable are two of the risks for any Early Access title. Hell, its likely there will be significant issue. Because its Early Access!
    If you want polished and complete then just wait until its actually fully released. It's a pretty simple concept. If its still janky and unplayable, then and only then are the complaints valid.
    The complaints here are no different than people bitching that an advanced screening of a movie had incomplete VFX and missing foley.
    The thing is that you don't get to pick when complaints are valid. If people paid $30 for a game that was clearly rushed and clearly not ready for even EA then they have a right to complain. EA isn't a magical label that removes criticism and complaints, in fact that is a big part of EA and making a better end product.

4. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    The thing is that you don't get to pick when complaints are valid. If people paid $30 for a game that was clearly rushed and clearly not ready for even EA then they have a right to complain. EA isn't a magical label that removes criticism and complaints, in fact that is a big part of EA and making a better end product.
    NO!
    Again you're missing the point Early Access is NOT comparable to any game release. It is LITERALLY incomplete, unfinished, unready for release. Why is that so hard for you understand?
    And in many cases it IS A "MAGICAL" label. Because it's EARLY ACCESS! That's the whole point! Not only that but its been about a week. It is not done. It is not complete. It is not ready for release. It is not finished. It is still in active development. How many ways can I say the same thing?
    It feels like I am trying to explain something to a belligerent child.

People are playing it. There are active streams right now. Yes its janky, but that is to be expected.

5. Post
    I bought it and played for about 15 minutes, I will be asking for a refund.

Many many many better games out there in the genre, the only difference with this one is the supposed '40,000' player limit when in reality its a grid map with each shard housing 150 players. Still an impressive number no doubt but the game has to be good, too.

6. Post
    Bt wrote:
    I bought it and played for about 15 minutes, I will be asking for a refund.

Many many many better games out there in the genre, the only difference with this one is the supposed '40,000' player limit when in reality its a grid map with each shard housing 150 players. Still an impressive number no doubt but the game has to be good, too.
    I am curious, why did you buy it? Or was it just because with the Steam refund its a zero risk proposition?

7. Post
    I have a bunch of friends playing it and I've been away from home for a week, so I missed the launch. I planned on joining them but upon logon today I was greeted with a very sub-par game. There is massive potential but I see massive potential in almost all early-access games I play, they rarely deliver or listen to their communities to develop something meaningful. In saying that, I don't think it is always about listening but more about company resources and restrictions.

8. Post
    Joe's thoughts, pretty much spot on:

Also Summit isn't a fan either lol.

9. Post
    Lol at defending this just because its EA. It's literally an ark DLC released as a full game because every regular ark player has a season pass. Why release it as DLC when they aren't going to make any money, They've shown they are scummy by releasing paid DLC during ark EA. This is a straight up cash grab nothing else. It's scummy, Early Access or not...

10. Post
    If you're going to come in here and comment about my stance at least give me the courtesy of actually reading what it is. Because your post indicates you've not even bothered to do that.

11. Post
    The Early Access label, much like "alpha" and "beta" doesn't magically hand wave away criticism and accountability, especially so when you're charging for access to your product. All the aforementioned labels are increasingly meaningless. Each game should be looked at by a case by case basis and with nuance. Blanket arguments regarding the stages of game development might've worked as late as 2010, but it's simply not the case any more, in PC gaming especially.

12. Post
    lol at all the sellout streamers doing a sponsored Atlas stream, promoting this trash.

13. Post
    Please don't defend this game dude. If this is the standard we allow for "early access" its going to keep getting worse and worse. I used to not hate on anything that was early access but now that it is becoming normal for it to last 3+ years of this early access, we need to admit that its the full game when they thow it out under this title. Its disgusting.

14. Post
    Blame twitch too

How many games are now sold because kids see streamers on twitch hype the shit out of the next big thing that they got paid to market on twitch with no disclaimer of their affiliation

15. Post
    Steam should make it so a developer can only claim Early access if its free to play, with an option to buy into the game if you enjoy it and want to help development and get in early instead of paying full price further down the line.

16. Post
    Mhm much wow performance

$2500nzd graphics card and only 30fps, so Cinematic

Also, why does this ugly looking game use 10gb of VRAM, ah chui chui

17. Post
    It's almost like it's not finished

18. Post
    JC wrote:
    like Ark?

19. Post
    lol this thread reminds me of the hardcore DayZ fans who hide behind "ITS ALPHA!!!!!!" - look how that worked out for them.

20. Post
    JC wrote:
    Indeed. Maybe they should put it in early access so people understand its not only not finished, but still in active development.

21. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Mhm much wow performance

$2500nzd graphics card and only 30fps, so Cinematic

Also, why does this ugly looking game use 10gb of VRAM, ah chui chui
    Yeah but just imagine how good it'll be when then these devs finish the game!

Is there an eta or timeline for progress or is that something people aren't worried about?

22. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    Yeah but just imagine how good it'll be when then these devs finish the game!
    Isn't there several anecdotes that Ark is unoptimised to this very day?

CODChimera wrote:
    Is there an eta or timeline for progress or is that something people aren't worried about?
    Grapeshot Games reckon this initial launch is the start of a long, hard journey, and estimate that Atlas will remain in early access for around two years.
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...-early-access/

23. Post
    2 years of early access? For the love of god... I wish them a lot of luck because the game seems cool, but 2 years in an insane length of time to remain in early access. I know other games have done too, but it doesn't make it right. haha

24. Post
    2 years seems pretty... early

25. Post
    there should be a limit on early access. I feel even 6 months is too long.
    I also feel like early access should always be free, the free game expires on release then you pay for the game.