Subnautica

Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
(8 votes)

1. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Indeed it is, but in my case its not just his opinion I take issue with, its the brainless ****wittery in his presentation and moronic commentary. He likes a lot of the same things I do. He's still a prime example of bottom-rung overwrought YouTube "reviewers".
    His critique is so ****ing superficial. He also thought Hatred was a great game.

I am not a violent person, but his voice makes me want to punch him in the face. Over and over and over and over.
    To be honest Chris with a lot of the other offerings out there I trust him a lot more than 95% of 'reviewers'.

2. Post
    Eldon wrote:
    To be honest Chris with a lot of the other offerings out there I trust him a lot more than 95% of 'reviewers'.
    Each to their own, I have no faith in his integrity. He's just another hype youtuber trying to be edgy and I cant deal with it.

3. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Each to their own, I have no faith in his integrity. He's just another hype youtuber trying to be edgy and I cant deal with it.
    I agree that his style is provocative and I don't generally agree with all his points, but he does give me a reasonable run down of whether a game is going to be worth my time - and usually I agree with his conclusion. His general content tends to indicate that most you-tubers are shills, something he has no time for - so I think by his own definition he would try and distance himself from a lot of the hypers. Nevertheless, I only really watch him on games that I have some interest in.

4. Post
    I find his accent humorous

5. Post
    reeeeeeeeeee ding ding *slobbery noises* ding reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

6. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Hmmm might hold off a bit...

Haven't watched this yet but iirc he really liked the original

7. Post
    I've just started the original, enjoying it quite a bit but turned off the need for food & water as that shit annoys me. Enjoying the exploration and building shit.

8. Post
    Mack supporter reporting in

9. Post
    Subnautica Below Zero is definitely in very early alpha - I bought it to support the studio, much like I bought Subnautica in early access (back when you could stick solar panels on your Cyclops sub to recharge its batteries, and there was no story) - but I'm holding off playing Below Zero until it's done.

My support of Subnautica was worth it, such an amazing game at the end, I don't expect Below Zero to be any different when its finished.

Also - the studio released this game like they did Subnautica, with feedback to the developers built directly into the game, because it helped them deliver a high quality product.

10. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Subnautica Below Zero is definitely in very early alpha - I bought it to support the studio, much like I bought Subnautica in early access (back when you could stick solar panels on your Cyclops sub to recharge its batteries, and there was no story) - but I'm holding off playing Below Zero until it's done.

My support of Subnautica was worth it, such an amazing game at the end, I don't expect Below Zero to be any different when its finished.

Also - the studio released this game like they did Subnautica, with feedback to the developers built directly into the game, because it helped them deliver a high quality product.
    Quick question - do you recall if Subnautica increased in price between the alpha and release? I notice that Below Zero is quite cheap at the moment, and I'm wondering if it will increase in price as it progresses towards release.

11. Post
    Caffeine wrote:
    Quick question - do you recall if Subnautica increased in price between the alpha and release?
    Appears to be no.
    https://isthereanydeal.com/game/subn.../#/chart:price

12. Post
    Cheers. Looks like it jumped just $5 shortly before release. Nothing major.

13. Post
    Such a great game. Another is Astroneer a great base building exploring game, less obvious story mode though.

14. Post
    Astroneer could be great if they hadn't burdened it with such a clunky interface that makes simple tasks a chore of constant shuffling.

15. Post
    Yes very true.

16. Post
    I am just too f**king stupid for this game. Tried to get back into it yesterday, but am just lost.

17. Post
    Frederick if you are lazy and stupid (your words not mine lol) i recommend the subnautica wiki, helpful for those moments when you hit a brick wall.
    End game is worth persevering

https://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Subnautica_Wiki

Also Youtube can be another resource if you just want to see a location you can't find.

The only time i had to use it was for the entrance to the Aurora -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A78pOKWmH44
    However i would only go as far to find the entrance then kill the video. And Really it was a time thing, i dont have time to spend 30-60 minutes finding something i just need to get in and get out and progress.

18. Post
    I said stupid, not lazy, TYVM!

22 hours on the game so far, and have done f**k all (have radiation suit, so explored around the outside of the Aurora, but think i need some kind of device to move the boxes covering the doorway?). Tried the wiki, but not sure what i'm looking for, or what i should be doing next. Have a couple of Lifepods showing as locations, but seems to be bugger all to do when i get there. One of them has some aggressive creature burrowing around, so tried to use the beacon thing that attracts stuff, but nothing happened - didn't seem to attract a damn thing.

I dunno, i just find it all to be a bit too obtuse and vague. Seem to spend all my time getting food and water, never enough slots in inventory (hello No Mans Sky!) to stock pile anything that makes me feel confident about having a good explore around the place.

19. Post
    How much did you pay for the game, Frederick? PS4 copy, I assume?

20. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    I said stupid, not lazy, TYVM!

22 hours on the game so far, and have done f**k all (have radiation suit, so explored around the outside of the Aurora, but think i need some kind of device to move the boxes covering the doorway?). Tried the wiki, but not sure what i'm looking for, or what i should be doing next. Have a couple of Lifepods showing as locations, but seems to be bugger all to do when i get there. One of them has some aggressive creature burrowing around, so tried to use the beacon thing that attracts stuff, but nothing happened - didn't seem to attract a damn thing.

I dunno, i just find it all to be a bit too obtuse and vague. Seem to spend all my time getting food and water, never enough slots in inventory (hello No Mans Sky!) to stock pile anything that makes me feel confident about having a good explore around the place.
    You need a Propulsion cannon to move those boxes. You can also catch fish with them & is way easier than catching them by handhttps://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Propulsion_Cannon

You also need a laser cutter to cut open specific locked door on wrecks.

Once you build an Alien Contatinment tank you can breed fish if you have two of the same species & never really have to worry about catching fish again.

You can also build lockers to store excess stuff.

It is a big change coming from other modern games that hold your hand & tell you exactly where to go & what to do next lol

21. Post
    ^ Cheers dude. If i can be arsed getting back to it, i'll keep that advice in mind.

EvaUnit02 wrote:
    How much did you pay for the game, Frederick? PS4 copy, I assume?
    Yeah, $55 - purchased as a "stocking filler" for myself pre-Christmas.

Workmate suggested it - so far, he's suggested Goat Simulator, Fortnite, The Witness, and Subnautica, all of which i've hated (well not hated, more just been meh about). He also recently suggested Hollow Knight to me, but i think i've learned my lesson. He's trying to buy some Pokemon game for the Switch at the moment from PC Tech, which has pretty much eroded any credibility he might still have had.

Edit; now that i think about it, he also tried to get me to buy an XB1X so that we could play the amazing Sea of Thieves together. Definitely learned my lesson!

22. Post
    Sounds like he smokes a lot of crack.

Just finished Assassins Creed Odyssey on PC - pretty sweet.

Next game on my radar is Vampyr

With Subnautica build all the things, if you hit a wall then explore and scan blueprints. Go to zones that look different and the blueprints there might move you along.
    22 hours should have a base by now?

23. Post
    Small base, but f**k all in it - no reason to even go to it unless I need some air.

24. Post
    Base is where you stock pile your stuff and recharge batteries, you can build lockers cabnets etc

25. Post
    The thought of grinding resources to expand my base, grinding resources to build lockers for my base, and grinding resources for food, water etc to put in those lockers isn’t super appealing, but I think ima give it a go - change my focus to building up my base rather than worrying about the story.

Cheers for the advice guys.