1. Post

Ethernet cat6 only working properly via switch?

EDIT: seems to be working now. I have no idea why.

I have 15m of CAT6 running from the router to my PC, but am only getting 1Mbps on speedtest.

What works as it should 100Mbps
    Router > 15m Cat6 > Netgear 10/1000 switch> 30cm of Cat5e > PC

What doesn't (well, does but gives 1.5Mbps)

Router > 15m Cat6 > new Dlink Gigabit switch> 30cm of Cat5e > PC
    Router > 15m Cat6 > PC

Any idea what's going on here? It's only come to my attention because I have bought a new gigabit switch, and only get 1Mbps on it. So plugged the Cat6 directly into the PC and wouldn't you know it, also only 1Mbps.

Any ideas?

(the reason I have the switch is for networking with another PC I sometimes use for work)
    Last edited by Richard7666; 27th December 2018 at 8:54 pm.

2. Post
    Did you attach the plugs to the cable or is it a pre-made cable?

3. Post
    Update: tested it with a laptop (both cat6 direct to laptop, and via new switch which only gives 1.5Mbps on PC) and it works at full speed.

So wondering if it's something to do with my motherboard's port not liking the Cat6 cable?

However, I also have a new gigabit switch. I've edited my original post to include another test

DW wrote:
    Did you attach the plugs to the cable or is it a pre-made cable?
    I got it from the local branch of a large electrical wholesaler. So I'm not sure.
    It's a Dynamix cable, from reading it

4. Post
    aaand it's randomly working now. Slightly over 105Mbps on speedtest (I'm on a 100Mbps plan)

Bizarre.

5. Post
    Dynamix is legit, all my gear is from them. Sounds a bit odd, will be interesting to see if it reliably stays connected at 1Gb.

6. Post
    Can you do some rapid pings to the router? When you say you only get 1mbit, is that to an internet speedtest server?

7. Post
    Okay, update.

It is slow when the *switch* is turned on if the PC is on first.

ie, if I put the PC to sleep so as not to have to wait a long time to reopen a project, but have turned the network switch off overnight.

No biggie, but weird.
    Last edited by Richard7666; 12th January 2019 at 1:20 pm.

8. Post
    Could it be a statically assigned IP conflict?

9. Post
    JC wrote:
    Could it be a statically assigned IP conflict?
    Oooh, possibly. Static IPs are indeed set up on my two PCs, as the rendering software I use needs to know where to send jobs to.

Although it's odd that my old 100/10 switch never had any issues on the same setup.

10. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Dynamix is legit, all my gear is from them. Sounds a bit odd, will be interesting to see if it reliably stays connected at 1Gb.
    Dynamix make the cable, they don't terminate it.

11. Post
    I have a bunch of terminated Dynamix cables, I don't know who actually manufactures them. Was more so saying that in my experience they are good quality, so a cable issue would be odd.

12. Post
    Richard7666 wrote:
    Oooh, possibly. Static IPs are indeed set up on my two PCs, as the rendering software I use needs to know where to send jobs to.

Although it's odd that my old 100/10 switch never had any issues on the same setup.
    Your current switch might be holding onto ARP entries a bit more vigourously which might explain it.. Dunno