Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

i7 4790k, worth upgrading at this point?

Hey Dudes!

My system is aging a bit, the CPU is a few generations old now and I think it might be time to upgrade? It's running a GTX 1080 and i have an UW 3440x1440 G-Sync screen, I run most games pretty well at the moment, wondering if i would see much benefit in jumping up to current gen? Or am i wasting my time/money?

2. Post
    Mada wrote:
    Hey Dudes!

My system is aging a bit, the CPU is a few generations old now and I think it might be time to upgrade? It's running a GTX 1080 and i have an UW 3440x1440 G-Sync screen, I run most games pretty well at the moment, wondering if i would see much benefit in jumping up to current gen? Or am i wasting my time/money?
    In some cases you will but not in all games depends how the game is optimised, do you run anything else?

I would wait for abit there have been some hot rumours in regards to AMD CPUs and the announcement should be at CES is January.

3. Post
    Cool i am in no rush, i dont do anything on this machine except game, and a bit of work

4. Post
    Have you delidded, strapped on some good cooling and overclocked it?

5. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    Have you delidded, strapped on some good cooling and overclocked it?
    Nah man, no delid. Its just stock overclock to 4.2ghz. It has a custom loop installed by CL (attached)

Name:  NZXT-Manta-4K.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  243.4 KB

6. Post
    Itís a 4 core cpu
    There are definitely some games that will benefit greatly from more cores and that trend will continue
    Yes an upgrade is worth it
    However now is not a good time to upgrade

Both amd and intel are launching new cpus within 6 months, both are expected to be significantly faster than the current cpus, also they are expected to run cooler and use less power

The 4790k will still be ok for some time yet, so hold off for another 6 months and you will rewarded with a massive upgrade

7. Post
    See if you can overclock to at least 4.5ghz. 4.6+ would be nice.

8. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    It’s a 4 core cpu
    There are definitely some games that will benefit greatly from more cores and that trend will continue
    Yes an upgrade is worth it
    However now is not a good time to upgrade

Both amd and intel are launching new cpus within 6 months, both are expected to be significantly faster than the current cpus, also they are expected to run cooler and use less power

The 4790k will still be ok for some time yet, so hold off for another 6 months and you will rewarded with a massive upgrade
    Sweet as I shall hold off, thanks for the advice

- - - Updated - - -

nzbleach wrote:
    See if you can overclock to at least 4.5ghz. 4.6+ would be nice.
    Yeah I tried, even getting it to 4.4 puts the temps up way too high so not worth it for a few extra MHZ

9. Post
    All good. I would leave it as is then.

10. Post
    Running a similar setup - undervolted delidded @ 4.4ghz, 1080 on 1440p. Runs everything well so just its not worth the $ to upgrade yet.

11. Post
    Still running my 4790k at 4.5 with a 1080ti. Don't see any point in upgrading yet either.

12. Post
    ^ this. If you wanted to upgrade anything you'd get better gains spending on the GPU.

That said there's not a lot a 1080 can't run comfortably @ 3440x1440.

13. Post
    Mada wrote:
    Sweet as I shall hold off, thanks for the advice

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I tried, even getting it to 4.4 puts the temps up way too high so not worth it for a few extra MHZ
    What do you get temp wise while gaming? Pump might be on the fry.

14. Post
    Maxes out at 70deg. Build was put together in May this year, temps seem normal to me. Just the additional voltage required to get it to 4.5 makes it sky rocket, not worth it

15. Post
    What about RAM? I upgraded my i7-4790k / GTX 1070Ti to 32GB, which gives just that bit more breathing room if you multitask a lot. I also set aside 4GB as a temp file RAM Drive (TEMP and TMP Variable redirected to it R:\) ... system feels just that much more smoother.

16. Post
    I have 16GB, no need for more than that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyl.../#4bf894502bba

Will wait for CES 2019

17. Post
    If your rig is fine with 16gb I wouldn’t upgrade to more now

DDR5 5200mhz RAM will be here in 2020 if you can hold out

18. Post
    Mada wrote:
    I have 16GB, no need for more than that.
    SirGrim wrote:
    If your rig is fine with 16gb I wouldn’t upgrade to more now
    A famous person once said you will need no more than 640 KB.

Since I have systems longer than many on here (I had my i7-920 for 7 years - before upgrading to a i7-4790k in 2015), I decided to upgrade mine to the MB max of 32 GB. I too doubt I'll be pushing it for a very long time, but there will probably come a time in the next 3-5 years that 32 GB will become the norm. And one thing I learned from youtube benchmarks, recommended memory capacity keeps going up over time. This was my main motivation for upgrading mine to 32 GB. I dont intend to replace my CPU/MB/RAM combo for another 3-5 years either.
    Last edited by KiwiTT; 1st January 2019 at 10:22 am.

19. Post
    While memory requirements do go up over time, 32GB is still currently a waste of money for gaming. By the time it MIGHT be useful, you'll be upgrading the rest anyway. Was surprised you upgraded at the time as everyone said it was a waste of time. But YOLO eh.

Mada is 100% right, they have no need for more than 16GB.

20. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    A famous person once said you will need no more than 640 KB.

Since I have systems longer than many on here (I had my i7-920 for 7 years - before upgrading to a i7-4790k in 2015), I decided to upgrade mine to the MB max of 32 GB. I too doubt I'll be pushing it for a very long time, but there will probably come a time in the next 3-5 years that 32 GB will become the norm. And one thing I learned from youtube benchmarks, recommended memory capacity keeps going up over time. This was my main motivation for upgrading mine to 32 GB. I dont intend to replace my CPU/MB/RAM combo for another 3-5 years either.
    That’s fine and I’m all for future proofing
    That’s why I got 32gb too

But had I known that DDR5 was around the corner I’d have waited and know we do know

DDR5 is one year away and the specs blow ddr4 out of the water so I wouldn’t use ddr4 to try and future proof now
    Once DDR5 is out then by all means go hard and grab 64gb if you want

21. Post
    CES is literally a week away, and AMD will be announcing their release schedule for the year then. I would seriously wait.

22. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    While memory requirements do go up over time, 32GB is still currently a waste of money for gaming. By the time it MIGHT be useful, you'll be upgrading the rest anyway. Was surprised you upgraded at the time as everyone said it was a waste of time. But YOLO eh.

Mada is 100% right, they have no need for more than 16GB.
    What about gaming and streaming

I was on only 8 GB at the time. So I thought, If I am going to upgrade the RAM to 16 GB, it would be best to do it with 4 new sticks as adding another 8 GB would have run the risk of memory miss-match. That is why I decided to get 4 x 8 GB sticks and be done with it, instead of 4 x 4 GB or 2 x 8 GB. And $250 is neither here nor there for me.

23. Post
    16GB would be fine for that. Your CPU isnt going to game and stream well anyway. So not really something worth worrying about. I'm talking in general terms, some games won't use much CPU so might manage a basic stream. Others will need six or eight cores to give a smooth stream.

24. Post
    Some people stream 'Armored Warfare' on less CPU/GPU than what I have

25. Post
    They don't stream current games at respectable (60fps) though. Which is my point, streaming an old game that looks like garbage on old hardware isn't an achievement. Streaming a current game, at max settings, without dropping below 60fps for the stream, that is an achievement.

As for OP, i'd just be looking at GPU over CPU. UW 3440x1440 is pretty taxing on the GPU. If it's a 60hz monitor though, it might be perfectly fine for a while yet.
    Last edited by Fragluton; 2nd January 2019 at 1:12 am.