Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    How many KMs do you do a day? And how far do you drive maximum (eg, cross country road trips)?

If 60-120KM/day and you don't drive long distances then finance a Leaf (~10k).

60km/day = ~4.6L petrol/day (13KM/L) = $9.23 at $2/L.
    60km/day = ~8.5KWh/day = $1.36 at 16c/KWh (mine is 15.4c)
    260 driving days a year at $7.87 savings per day = $2,046.2 saved in fuel/year.
    Or $39.35 saved per week (excluding weekends)
    10k vehicle finance at the first link that would give a quote = $67/week payments over four years.

AKA after fuel savings driving 60KM per day on weekdays only (so a massive underestimation), you would have paid an equivalent of $4,336.8 (67*52*4 - 2046.2*4) for your 2012 car after four years inclusive of interest and gotten a much nicer, twice as expensive car out of it.

Additionally, after fuel savings your weekly payments for finance and fuel are:
    Petrol financed using the above calc (still assuming four years and no weekends and a petrol car that costs $5000): $9.23*5+33=$79.15
    Leaf on above (four years, no weekends, 10k finance): 1.36*5+67 = $73.8

If you do 120KM/day, then you'll have saved more than the cost of the vehicle plus finance. And if you drive on weekends (likely) then that will factor into a lower price vehicle overall.

60KM/day 260 days a year is 15,600KM/year, AA average is 14,000KM a year, so it's not an unrealistic calculation. The more KMs you do, the greater the Leaf performs (until you hit the range limit). So you don't necessarily need to do 60KM/day, just 15,600KM/year for all of the above to apply.
    We don't drive much as I have a company car and the miss take the bus to CBD.
    It's mainly to replace the old 96 beaten up Mirage we bought when we arrived in NZ.
    Between the last 6 months we did 300kms.

2. Post
    blackbox wrote:
    That's soooo cuuuuute. How does it feel when you go roaring past a truck/trailer @ 100km/h?
    If I find a truck and trailer then I sit behind it to maximise my range, it's not exactly aerodynamic and I can almost double my range on the motorway (140-160KM at 50km/h, 80-90 at 100KM/h) if someone else is breaking wind for me. It doesn't leave Auckland so I haven't been stuck behind one climbing a hill.

$@ked0wn14 wrote:
    We don't drive much as I have a company car and the miss take the bus to CBD.
    It's mainly to replace the old 96 beaten up Mirage we bought when we arrived in NZ.
    Between the last 6 months we did 300kms.
    Not worth it for you, in that case, to go electric. With those kinds of economics I wouldn't recommend financing anything at all.

3. Post
    Roumelio wrote:
    Meh... spending more than you have to on cars when they're a depreciating asset is not the smartest idea in the world quite frankly. The point of a loan is to double down on something that is worth money and make money... A house and land is an appreciating asset, cars are not. Buy a car you can afford not the one to keep up with Mr. Jones.

Or don't listen to me and be broke, end up with nothing and live on the pension when you're put out to pasture at 65.
    lol

not too brag but I'm in a pretty good position financially a I paid for about half my i8 with floating mortgage credit.

I didn't want to sell investment assets or to draw down a higher interest loan, and I think i can get more from my investments than the ~5% I pay on my floating mortgage, so I went for it.

There are more scenarios than "doesn't have the cash or asset base hence has to get a loan to get a car.

4. Post
    lol
    every post you make is a brag