1. Post
    the only thing I miss is fried chicken but it's mainly the salt that we like so much innit

2. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    the only thing I miss is fried chicken but it's mainly the salt that we like so much innit
    I cooked up some fry's family chicken strips yesterday for my creamy mushroom chicken pasta thingy.... and tbh next time I get it I'm going to batter it up in some louisiana fried chicken batter and give it a hoon... granted you don't get the off the bone thing going on but the Fry's stuff is pretty convincing so should make for excellent nuggets if nothing else

3. Post
    ClavulanateV2 wrote:
    Not really qualified to give dietary advice.... just try different things and see what works for you.... being vegan is what worked for me and there's a lot of good data supporting vegeterian/vegan diets to suggest they are good for health which is nice.

I don't eat meat at all.... when I first switched I'd eat a lambs liver and kidneys once a month to boost iron and B12 but I stopped doing that a long time ago and haven't had any problems, only supplement I take is B12 once a week or so (if that).

When I'm motivated I prefer to intermittently fast as well and I go by a 16:8 ratio if I can meaning I have an 8 hour eating window and 16 hours of fasting and it's generally 2 meals divided into whatever my calorie goals are for that moment in time.

As far as meals go... I cook heaps of stir fries because I'm lazy but for example last night I did a creamy "chicken" mushroom and pasta dinner which was ****ing awesome.... and tomorrow I'm going to cook a spaghetti bolognaise.... I eat heaps of tofu though, it's super versatile if you learn how to cook it properly.... but if you ever need inspiration there's places like reddit.com/r/vegangifrecipes

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of tax which is spend on themselves but they're still a massive burden on the healthcare system
    RGR that, some experimentation must be tried. I've eaten meat at least 5 times a week for my entire adult life. I like the fasting idea too

4. Post
    Lethargic wrote:
    RGR that, some experimentation must be tried. I like the fasting idea too
    If you're looking at going plant-based just try cut down to like 2 meat meals a week to start with... then 1... then eventually none or something, don't just try jump in the deep end... especially with you being a student because a lot of the substitute meats are quite expensive (and tbh veges in general are expensive)... just take your time with it and see what works for you.

5. Post
    bonus image: the creamy mushroom chicken pasta I made last night

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foods.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	224513

6. Post
    That straight up looks delicious

7. Post
    Mmm, chicken simulator. What's it like?

8. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    Mmm, chicken simulator. What's it like?
    excellent... tastes just like real chicken imo

9. Post
    How much more expensive is it?

10. Post
    what did you use for cream
    I'm assuming stock and cornflour

11. Post
    jdz wrote:
    I will not!
    Even when I ate meat, I never liked bacon. A good quality steak though... That's a whole different story.
    Hitler was a vegetarian you know. Probably started out with him not eating bacon.

12. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Hitler was a vegetarian you know. Probably started out with him not eating bacon.
    I actually did a bit of research on this (I mean like 5 mins on google) and I read a lot of stuff saying that he was only vegetarian for the last few years of his life. He had a lot of health issues, so I wonder if that's why he did it?

That's assuming that he actually died in 1945...

13. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    what did you use for cream
    I'm assuming stock and cornflour
    The sauce was some portobello mushrooms, tbsp of oil tbsp of flour and soy cream with sriracha and salt to taste

- - - Updated - - -

CODChimera wrote:
    How much more expensive is it?
    It's not cheap... I think $7 for 400g or something

14. Post
    We live a mostly vegetarian lifestyle; my partner's a full-time vege but I'll still guiltily sneak in a meat meal once or twice a week. The fake chicken stuff genuinely isn't as good as the real thing, but when used in appropriate meals, it easily passes over the uncanny valley that most of the fake meat substitutes sit in.

The other stuff -- the cans of congealed protein stuff that are supposed to emulate mince/beef strips/whatever -- those are bad. Our old flatmates used to use them to make "meat" dishes, but for the most part they're abhorrent; you're better off accepting vegetarianism and producing good vege-based meals than you are moving onto those things.

15. Post
    frio wrote:
    my partner's a full-time vege but I'll still guiltily sneak in a meat meal once or twice a week.
    Name:  tenor.gif
Views: 156
Size:  6.5 KB

16. Post
    i like the canned substitutes like nutmeat & nutolene tbh... just gotta use it in the right dish imo

17. Post
    ClavulanateV2 wrote:
    i like the canned substitutes like nutmeat & nutolene tbh... just gotta use it in the right dish imo
    I suspect if you haven't had meat in yonks they're probably decent enough, but if you're still regularly imbibing then they're pretty horrible. The fake chicken, on the other hand, is genuinely super edible.

18. Post
    frio wrote:
    I suspect if you haven't had meat in yonks they're probably decent enough, but if you're still regularly imbibing then they're pretty horrible. The fake chicken, on the other hand, is genuinely super edible.
    I dunno eh... I mean I don't use them to replace meat as a flavour or anything. Also craft meat company no meat mince is the bomb btw, but that's not canned. Quorn mince is also really good, but not vegan unfortunately .

19. Post
    ****s me up how many vegans will be like taste this fake meat it tastes just like the real thing!!! and like... in most instances it tastes far more like duck than whatever it's trying to emulate

thinking like blissful products here

20. Post
    the quorn fake turkey slices actually tasted like a shoe. I agree with this

The other stuff -- the cans of congealed protein stuff that are supposed to emulate mince/beef strips/whatever -- those are bad.

21. Post
    Healthy living everyone.

22. Post
    jdz wrote:
    That's assuming that he actually died in 1945...
    Maybe he's like Vegan 0. If we find him and kill him will it unvegan all the sub-vegans?

23. Post
    Feel sorry for you Veg's, these go good in a salad.

Name:	pad1025x504.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	224553
    or with a nice cold beer, wine.

24. Post
    |icED-e@RtH| wrote:
    Feel sorry for you Veg's, these go good in a salad.

Name:	pad1025x504.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	224553
    or with a nice cold beer, wine.
    it's not like we have some crippling disability that stops us from eating meat... we do it by choice, so no need to feel sorry

25. Post
    pork crackling is rank anyway