Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Whats considered a 'reasonable time' for laptops under the CGA?

I have an Apple Macbook Pro Retina 15" (Mid-2014). I bought it from Dicksmith on 23/11/2014. I understand this is now 4 years and 2 months which is a substantial amount of time for Tech. However, I recall reading in the CGA that higher priced items are expected to last longer. This particular laptop was the higher end model at the time (maybe retail $3799? It was the i7, 512GB SSD model, which I think might have been the largest and most expensive you could get at the time).

Its now got a bizarre trackpad issue where every time I wake it up from deep sleep (few hours), the trackpad behaves erratically and just bounces around. I have to hard power down the machine and start it again to fix it. Did all the usual software checks (reset SMC, NVRAM, etc), and even re-installed fresh copy of Mojave with the same issue. Having spoken with Apple over the phone, they think its a hardware issue. They've since contacted their 'legal department' and tell me anything after 3 years they won't consider under Consumer Law and that's their final verdict on this case.

Am I barking up the wrong tree trying to get this fixed this far out? Should I just suck it up and find someone 3rd party who can fix the trackpad for me or should I be finding another avenue to push this further?

2. Post
    Apple can and definitely do cover things over 3 years you just have to hassle them more and tell them that 3 years isnt acceptable. (3 years is pretty much just their automatic cover period) and they will issue you an exception code to give to a service center.

3. Post
    Siris Le Osiris wrote:
    Apple can and definitely do cover things over 3 years you just have to hassle them more and tell them that 3 years isnt acceptable. (3 years is pretty much just their automatic cover period) and they will issue you an exception code to give to a service center.
    I was told by the senior guy I was talking to on the phone that this is their final decision and that if I wanted to pursue it further I'd have to do it 'from my end', which I'm assuming means by going through legal channels I guess?

4. Post
    mmd wrote:
    I was told by the senior guy I was talking to on the phone that this is their final decision and that if I wanted to pursue it further I'd have to do it 'from my end', which I'm assuming means by going through legal channels I guess?
    That's utter crap, I've seen Apple cover 5 year old machines before.
    Basically call in the afternoon you will likely get someone from the Aus support team who actually understand NZ / AU law.
    But yea there is no such thing as a hard limit in the CGA everything is case by case.

5. Post
    Laptops should last between 3-5 years so at that price point you can argue it and it can go either way.

It does sound like the guy you called probably couldn't be bothered dealing with it and giving it another go is a good idea

6. Post
    Siris Le Osiris wrote:
    That's utter crap, I've seen Apple cover 5 year old machines before.
    Basically call in the afternoon you will likely get someone from the Aus support team who actually understand NZ / AU law.
    But yea there is no such thing as a hard limit in the CGA everything is case by case.
    That goes both ways. I would say stopping at 3 years is fair. Sometimes they cover stuff that are flawed over longer periods (ie known issues). I doubt the Disputes Tribunal is going to force them to cover over 4 years (maybe do a search of disputes cases).

- - - Updated - - -

ThomasChp wrote:
    Laptops should last between 3-5 years
    Says who?

7. Post
    CGA aside, sounds like turning it off when not in use will fix this? Seems like an easy fix and with SSD boot time isn't long to wait.

8. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    CGA aside, sounds like turning it off when not in use will fix this? Seems like an easy fix and with SSD boot time isn't long to wait.
    If it is indeed the trackpad ribbon slowly fraying (as per most of the online searches on the topic), this is only a matter of time before it gets worse / completely dies.

9. Post
    sounds like normal wear and tear to me, surely it's not that hard to fix yourself?

10. Post
    As someone who works in the industry, I've seen apple cover 4 year old machines before but it usually involves a bit of a battle to make it happen and it certainly isn't guaranteed.

Personally, I'd definitely expect a laptop worth nearly 4 grand to last longer than 4 years but at the same time, I somehow doubt apple or the CGA would agree. I certainly wouldn't discourage you from trying however.

11. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    sounds like normal wear and tear to me, surely it's not that hard to fix yourself?
    If it is the trackpad ribbon fraying then I would argue that it is not fit for purpose. It is a non-moving part that should not wear. I would be arguing it is not fit for purpose. I would expecting moving parts like a fan, HDD, DVD or even hinges to be considered normal wear and tear...

...as someone who worked in the apple disty alongside their repair center guys for 8 years.

12. Post
    Says who?[/QUOTE]

Consumer NZ uses it on their CGA guidelines, the Bundle PCs/ Laptops into one and thats their "reasonable Time Frame"

Of course whats reasonable to one person isn't always to another, personally three years seems like a good run for a laptop for me.

This is what they used to display, nice little image to sum up their guidelines

Name:  life exepctancy.png
Views: 191
Size:  20.6 KB

13. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    If it is the trackpad ribbon fraying then I would argue that it is not fit for purpose. It is a non-moving part that should not wear. I would be arguing it is not fit for purpose. I would expecting moving parts like a fan, HDD, DVD or even hinges to be considered normal wear and tear...

...as someone who worked in the apple disty alongside their repair center guys for 8 years.
    that's fair enough, it does seem to be a design flaw but is it really worth the battle? I'm sure you could get a replacement cable for a dollar or two...

14. Post
    ThomasChp wrote:

Consumer NZ uses it on their CGA guidelines, the Bundle PCs/ Laptops into one and thats their "reasonable Time Frame"

Of course whats reasonable to one person isn't always to another, personally three years seems like a good run for a laptop for me.

This is what they used to display, nice little image to sum up their guidelines
    But their guidelines are meaningless, just an opinion and sometimes not even an expert opinion. They also caveat their table with "reasonable use and some repair". Note the some repair. In this case if the OP applied "some repair" his laptop would last 5 years.

That list is effectively just dribble.

15. Post
    $4k laptop should last longer than 5 years. I would battle it out.

16. Post
    Looking online the trackpad/ribbon replacement on a retina model seems to be a nightmare job..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdxyegNGj_Q

So I can see why Apple would fight not to touch it if it's a hardware issue. I would go via the Disputes Tribunal, worst case you lose and pay $90(2-5k value dispute), do your research(ie it's a well documented issue) because you can only use what you bring/send in with you on the day to make your case(if it goes that far, often they might make a goodwill gesture before the date).

17. Post
    Doesnt even need to go that far if he calls back a few times and says that isnt acceptable they will cover it,

18. Post
    Chunky wrote:
    Looking online the trackpad/ribbon replacement on a retina model seems to be a nightmare job..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdxyegNGj_Q

So I can see why Apple would fight not to touch it if it's a hardware issue. I would go via the Disputes Tribunal, worst case you lose and pay $90(2-5k value dispute), do your research(ie it's a well documented issue) because you can only use what you bring/send in with you on the day to make your case(if it goes that far, often they might make a goodwill gesture before the date).
    the ribbon replacement is literally a 30 second job as it sits on top of all that crap, you don't need to remove/unglue anything.

100% not worth going to the DT, but only if you're sure it's the cable.

19. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    the ribbon replacement is literally a 30 second job as it sits on top of all that crap, you don't need to remove/unglue anything.

100% not worth going to the DT, but only if you're sure it's the cable.
    That's the issue - what if it turns out its not the cable? And what if I replace the cable and there's no change... Now I can't go to Apple anyway as they'll say the laptop has been opened and no longer under Manufacturer's Warranty. Its a bit of a catch 22.

This is why I'd rather go to them to begin with. They check it out themselves and decide what the issue is.

20. Post
    It's a hard one for sure. I had a similar issue with a joystick (HOTAS setup so expensive). The cables in the throttle had a design flaw, and eventually buttons started to stop working. I made an RMA claim with the retailer, they denied it as it was outside the warranty. I downloaded all the documents and photos from the net about the problem, they promptly went back to the vendor. The vendor then authorized the RMA, the retailer refunded me as there was no replacement stock available.

In my case the symptoms clearly matched up with a known issue. Which iirc you use a combination of the CGA and Fair Trade Act (with the goods not being fit for purpose due to a design flaw).

In this case if the cable has issues it would be a design flaw (as it is not wear).

21. Post
    In the SKU in the video is does not run over the battery like other SKU's.

22. Post
    If I was to open the case up and look at the ribbon.. is there any mechanism in place for Apple to know the laptop has been previously opened? I know some devices have this, just wondering if anyone knows if the MBP Retina 15" (Mid 2014) has something of that sort too? I'd like to confirm its the ribbon before I go taking this further I guess!

23. Post
    I think over 4 years is pushing it. For reference, at work laptops are replaced every 4 years regardless of condition because the failure rates skyrocket from that point (we have data on that shit)

24. Post
    I don't know what Dick Smith's presence in NZ is like now, but have you tried contacting them? For the price of the laptop I'd expect it to be covered under the CGA. Price is definitely a factor when it comes to the CGA.
    If you can find multiple sources of the issue and relate it back to a failing part, you've got it in the bag. off memory its about $40 to make a claim to get it repaired. For a full replacement, probably about double that.

25. Post
    Dick Smith as a NZ retailer is gone. The name was sold AFAIK, but the business is long gone.