Page 1 of 3 123 Last

1. Post

I hates those meeces to pieces!

Long story short - chicken farm across the road used to have 90,000 chickens. Now it's zero chickens and all the resident mice are coming into our neighbourhood in the hundreds. The neighbour's cat caught 15 mice last night.

We have a cat, traps, getting some bait today, they just keep coming, it feels like a mouse plague. We even borrowed a friends kitten for a few nights to catch them and she demolished a few.

Can/should the council do anything about this? Doc? Anyone at all?

2. Post
    Are they vegan mice?

3. Post
    Get a chicken.

4. Post
    Mancubus wrote:
    Are they vegan mice?
    Yeah they appear to be, their shit doesn't smell quite as bad as omnivore mice.

5. Post
    They won't give you cancer if you eat them then. If the thought of eating mice disturbs you, let your cat eat them then eat the cat, consuming the mice by proxy.
    Better Living everyone.

6. Post
    Does it still count as eating mice by proxy if I eat the cat shit?

7. Post
    just wait, the lack of food will sort things out over the season. Next season you might see a large amount of tiny mice just born but once they all die out , nature will sort it out. You can hire a pro , they will just put out some traps.

as a side note, tiny mice make fantastic trout bait. And only the very large trout would try eat them as well.

8. Post
    More cats, case closed

9. Post
    How do we control the cats?

10. Post
    Get some snakes, they love mice.

11. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    How do we control the cats?
    That's the thing, nobody can.

@gneiss - have seriously considered getting another cat. The one we have is 12 and while she still catches the odd mouse, there are so many running around at the moment she can't be bothered, all moused out.

12. Post
    for some reason i thought this would be an mxrecord nonsense thread.

13. Post
    JRS wrote:
    for some reason i thought this would be an mxrecord nonsense thread.
    Sorry about that I can get drunk and start a thread about beer or the lady below if you like.

14. Post
    So who owns the now ex-chicken farm? Is it just abandoned?

15. Post
    Have you considered building a border wall?

16. Post
    WhangaDan wrote:
    The neighbour's cat caught 15 mice last night.
    Did the cat lay them out on the driveway to be counted or something?

17. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    Did the cat lay them out on the driveway to be counted or something?
    It brought the mice to it's owners and showed them. Like most cats do.

The owners then made a tally of how many mice were caught.

?

- - - Updated - - -

gneiss wrote:
    So who owns the now ex-chicken farm? Is it just abandoned?
    Yep, all empty and stinky. Sitting there going to waste.

Not even a Trump wall can stop mice Mutton

18. Post
    start a mice cafe

u could also open a cat cafe next to it for synergy

19. Post
    WhangaDan wrote:
    Yep, all empty and stinky. Sitting there going to waste.

Not even a Trump wall can stop mice Mutton
    Call the council then man, the owners are probably liable for looking after it.

20. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Call the council then man, the owners are probably liable for looking after it.
    Yeah have done so and they're "looking into it" but will talk to the farm manager to see what his company can do I guess. We're in a new subdivision and most of the people who live here are quite posh so I'm sure they're complaining too.

21. Post
    Just like removing the queen bee will make a colony dissipate, you need to find the boss vermin. His name will be Vernon the Vermin - you'll know it's him because he's white and battle scarred. Defeat him and the rest will scamper.

22. Post
    Dig a large hole. Line it with something (unless it's clay). Fill it with water. Throw some peanut oil in. They love peanut oil. They will drown.

Also this may drown cats as an added bonus.

Then fill the hole up again. Job completed.

23. Post
    Some very funny suggestions

Just squished the heads of three of the bastards with the bottom of the kids swing ball set. They were trying to hide behind the outside air con unit.

24. Post
    I saw this DIY mouse trap on YouTube. It involved bait on the end of a little platform that was suspended above a bucket of water. The mice walk out on the platform to get the bait and when enough of their weight is on the platform it pivots and drops the mice into the water where they drown. You can get dozens a day because you never need to set the trap again. The platform just pivots back up.

25. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    I saw this DIY mouse trap on YouTube. It involved bait on the end of a little platform that was suspended above a bucket of water. The mice walk out on the platform to get the bait and when enough of their weight is on the platform it pivots and drops the mice into the water where they drown. You can get dozens a day because you never need to set the trap again. The platform just pivots back up.
    I'm looking that up right now. Sounds awesome!