Michael Pachter strikes again

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    Not much of a life outside of gaming I see.

2. Post
    Who cares though

3. Post
    Titanfall 3 and Jedi Fallen Order are supposedly coming this year lol

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01...aunching-2019/

4. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    240fps AND 4K from a console of all things? No PC out today can do that.
    240fps and 4K support not possible on PC!? Yeah been around for ages.

5. Post
    XSpike wrote:
    Possible, if you're running games from the PS2 generation. Also possible if you have a $5000+ budget. Having it in a console released in the next few years that will be sold at anything resembling a reasonable price? Yeah nah.

6. Post
    XSpike wrote:
    Yup, nothing new, not sure what Eva is on about - must be those long nights

No one (including Pachter) said anything about what was running (they didn't mention any game names) - he may have simply meant the console may be able to output a 240hz image - which can be useful for PSVR V2 (remember PSVR already runs games at 90 or 120hz) or games not as graphically intensive where the developer wants to support high refresh rates. Many games can easily do 240fps at 4k, just one quick example is Counter Strike GO - a very popular PC game

It's also worth noting he did not mention that 4k and 240hz are necessarily accompanying

And even if they did intend to match up high resolution and high refresh rates, there is nothing wrong with future proofing, just yesterday LG confirmed that at the end of this month they will be launching their first 4k 120hz VRR, HDMI 2.1 OLED TV

And the refresh rates of VR headsets will go up - as will the field of view and these both help to reduce the side effects of VR

Eva: Just because you only game in 2d on a small refresh tiny screen doesn't mean everyone needs to, nothing wrong with Pachter's comments

I agree he's a dick, but this time you are wrong Eva
    Last edited by SirGrim; 5th January 2019 at 2:12 pm.

7. Post
    Didn't read the article, but they could well 'support' 4k 240fps, they'll just never realistically actually hit that outside a menu.

8. Post
    Xev wrote:
    Possible, if you're running games from the PS2 generation..
    This.

You guys know what I meant, stop splitting hairs. True 4k resolution, high to ultra settings, 240fps in most modern AAA games? It's not happening at present time.

9. Post
    XSpike wrote:
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider running at 4K at up to ~200fps
    You just need the fastest CPU + Mobo + Ram and 2 RTX 2080 Ti's. I'm sure that will fit in a console at a competitive price.
    Last edited by ChrisB; 6th January 2019 at 2:24 am.

10. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    This.

You guys know what I meant, stop splitting hairs. True 4k resolution, high to ultra settings, 240fps in most modern AAA games? It's not happening at present time.
    You still haven’t shown us where in the link you posted Pachter says the ps5 and Xbox one 2 is running 4K 240fps at the same time

You are the one who is nitpicking so you can post this crap

And if you want a reality check, consoles are used on tvs and even with the the latest and greatest - HDMI 2.1 you cannot output 240hz at 4K, HDMI doesn’t support it period - it doesn’t matter if the ps5 was equal to 20 x 2080tis you cannot bypass the limitations of HDMI 2.1

11. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    You still haven’t shown us where in the link you posted Pachter says the ps5 and Xbox one 2 is running 4K 240fps at the same time

You are the one who is nitpicking so you can post this crap

And if you want a reality check, consoles are used on tvs and even with the the latest and greatest - HDMI 2.1 you cannot output 240hz at 4K, HDMI doesn’t support it period - it doesn’t matter if the ps5 was equal to 20 x 2080tis you cannot bypass the limitations of HDMI 2.1
    Oh yeah I forgot about the HDMi limitations.

12. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider running at 4K at up to ~200fps
    You just need the fastest CPU + Mobo + Ram and 2 RTX 2080 Ti's. I'm sure that will fit in a console at a competitive price.
    4K done already on current consoles.
    PS4 already produces 120fps on VR games, PSVR2 maybe capable of 240fps giving developers the option to target 60fps for graphical settings & 120fps (240fps with reprojection) for frame rate option / giving the user the option to choose their preference. Since VR should be integrated all into the console, the console will be sending a 240hz signal, won't be 4K but console still supports 4K, 240fps & VR.

13. Post
    It’s amazing how important a good Comma can be

14. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    It’s amazing how important a good Comma can be
    What about full stops?

15. Post
    Ok, so I see that there seems to be some confusion.
    I've not read Eva's post (never will) so i am going on the responses and looking up MP's predictions.
    Are people talking it as the new consoles will support 240 fps and 4K as seperate things? e.g 240 fps for some 1080p or VR titles or that he's talking about 240 fps @ 4K? Because the latter is not going to happen and the former is a non-statement as technically that already exists. There is no FPS limit on the consoles now only their ability to drive fps at certain resolutions or triangle counts. I am sure that a lot of indies or basic games can already run ar 240 or higher fps is the devs wanted them to. Which is why I think he's talking about the latter. The 240 fps support and 4K (but not @4K) again is a non-statement/prediction.

16. Post
    Pachters my mate on twitter

but i did honestly take it as options i.e. for VR games you could do a 240fps game, or a full 4k at hopefully 60. Just like we have now with many games offering a performance mode or a quality mode.

17. Post
    Because the latter is not going to happen and the former is a non-statement as technically that already exists.
    That's only half true. The base PS4 is only HDMI 1.4, which apparently doesn't meet the bandwidth requirements for 1080p240. The PS4 pro does have HDMI 2.0 so it technically can, but it's highly unlikely that Sony would even allow devs to use a refresh rate that can't even be displayed by the base PS4.

18. Post
    New HDMI 2.1 spec which should become mainstream for 2019 devices supports max 4k 120fps.
    So it will be either 4k OR 240fps not together.