1. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    You get a XV man squad. You can replace any injured player outside that XV. But they are REPLACED from the squad. So a short injury are not typically replaced - long term are - unless its the finals (cos you may as well just replace them at that stage).

Many teams will go with one keeper, they will call up a replacement from outside the squad...

So for NZ - if Latham got injured, I'd play Nicholls in one game - and get Blundell/Watling/Phillips/Seifert/that slogger from CD - not Cleaver in England by the time of the next game...

But if Latham had only a niggle, play Nicholls once or twice - then resume with Latham...

Henry and Wagner have county deals. They're over there. So is J Patel and Raval (dont want to see them in Black Caps though tbh). Corey Anderson is over there too for the Blast (later in the Cup). Milne gets a county deal every year as well. These are all things wise selectors will think about.

2. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    Not what Nicholls and Stead are suggesting at all...

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...mmer-long-prep

Nicholls to me was an obvious fit on par with Young. Once again Nicholls has crick blocked Young from the national team. Young will get his shot with Ross retires at 4 it would seem. Or replace Guppie if he never finds form again against good teams.

So Stead wanted a funky opener, and is thinking of Munro as a replacement in the middle should he be needed or back at the top if injury or Nips fails. I don't mind that at all. Mitchell is Munro's only competition really for the middle.
    If only Colin had a domestic competition he could practice those things...

3. Post
    https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport...world-cup.html

I'm guessing they'll keep him in the WC squad as it's too late to try anything new. If someone goes down then he'll jump in to open and Nicholls will slot in back at 6.

4. Post
    <N> wrote:
    https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport...world-cup.html

I'm guessing they'll keep him in the WC squad as it's too late to try anything new. If someone goes down then he'll jump in to open and Nicholls will slot in back at 6.
    Stopped reading at "Yet that's precisely how he plays". You need to be able to modify your game to the conditions, game situation etc. that's why Taylor is doing so well

5. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    Does Vodafone TV play the cricket? If not, wtf would I want that?

Sky does suck though. I don't watch it regularly but I read somewhere that they don't even have the F1 rights this season. Begs the question what the hell they're doing with our ~$100+ a month. Paying dividends probably.

SkyGO is pretty shit as well, they insist on streaming at 20 frames per second or something. I've got plenty of internet for a decent stream but the one they provide is almost unwatchable for sports. The interlaced 50-or-so they provide from the satellite is the bare minimum really.

I'm happy for them to play as much as possible in NZ from a convenient time-slot point of view. NZ is in such a mental timezone that it's hard to follow them closely when they play anywhere else but Australia.
    i meant its a better way to consume sky than skys own proprietary shit. i dont think vodafone offers the sky box anymore. i was forced into it and found it ok

6. Post
    turning_point wrote:
    i meant its a better way to consume sky than skys own proprietary shit. i dont think vodafone offers the sky box anymore. i was forced into it and found it ok
    I have one through voda...

I'm over it though. Too much money for not enough SA, WI or UAE games tbh... Not to mention Bang, Zim and SL...

I need to talk to a geek who can tell me the best way to get my global cricket fix. I can stream everything else in HD on my linux box for free without a vpn...

I'm happy to pay for a vpn and subscritption cricket - but who does NZ and the rest of the world? Just a vpn will get me the Indian channels like Hotstar for free which is a lot...

7. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    Not what Nicholls and Stead are suggesting at all...

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...mmer-long-prep

Nicholls to me was an obvious fit on par with Young. Once again Nicholls has crick blocked Young from the national team. Young will get his shot with Ross retires at 4 it would seem. Or replace Guppie if he never finds form again against good teams.

So Stead wanted a funky opener, and is thinking of Munro as a replacement in the middle should he be needed or back at the top if injury or Nips fails. I don't mind that at all. Mitchell is Munro's only competition really for the middle.
    Thanks for your article - most illuminating.

So it will work like this -

If an Opener goes down Munro is a straight swap
    If Kane or Ross goes down then Munro opens and Nicholls goes to three or four.
    If Latham goes down then Munro opens and Nicholls goes to five and gets the gloves.

If Neesham goes down then I suppose it will be a straight swap with Munro asked to bowl 4-5 overs

Actually given those scenarios and Nicholls flexibility we might lose if we get an injury but at least we will be well covered in theory.

We didn't need Tom Latham in 2015 so hopefully won't need Munro.

All that said if I were picking the team I would rest Ross or Kane (who needs to freshen up) in one or two of the Bangla matches and give Young a run to see if he is an option as back up.

8. Post
    I have been thinking about the blue print and the world cup/future games.

I think the two areas we need to address are

1) Who will open the bowling with Boulter. If the ball starts to swing its Southee if it doesn't then who.

2) The lower middle order batting.
    I have done some batting permutations and I think we can, all things going swimmingly, get to 200 in the 35th to 40th over on most occassions. That will leave it up to our lower middle order to "bring it home" and score about 120 runs in the last 35 overs. In the champions trophy we failed miserably at this and had a lower middle order of Neesham, Anderson, Santner, Milne

This time around we have - possibly Neesham, Santner, CDG, Astle

The only upgrade seem to be that Neesham is in better nick and Astle is better than Milne although Milne did ok.

Furthermore Santner is out of form at the minute due to his injury lay off. CDG vs Anderson could be a neglible trade off as CDG seem to not know how to bat against Leg spin. We could jettison in Anderson but he screwed up last time plus he is like a 1970s car on cold winters morning, he takes a long time to warm up.

We need to address this area, ideally Bracewell would have been perfect, but his bowling is just so inaccurate.

I think someone needs to come in for CDG whose name is not Bracewell or Anderson. Am struggling to think of names.

I guess you could go Neesham/Astle/Santner/Kuggs

Even though we (only one game ago) seem to have bravely addressed the opening issue we need to examine the position CDG holds.

From a bowling perspective we are looking like

The stat next to the person is wickets per bowling ODI innings

Boult 1.84
    Someone - Ferguson/Southee 1.67/1.3
    Astle/Sodhi 1.3/1.3
    Santer 1.2 per inning
    CDG 0.66 per inning
    Neesham 1 per inning

Total expected wickets per inning all things being equal = 7.5

You will notice I listed 6 bowlers - this is because we often bowl 6 bowlers and I have used wickets per inning and not SR so it "should" balance out ok.

7.5 means often we havn't been bowling teams out.

It is very tempting to go Bracewell or Kuggs over CDG to help the bowling. Bracewell averages 1.2 wickets per game and I reckon Kuggs will sail around 1.3 or 1.4

Having either of them instead of CDG would lift our expected wickets to 8.1 wickets per game.

Also with CDG not performing from a batting perspective you might not lose much from that angle.

It really sucks we don't have another 7-10 games to tinker with our ODI line up.

9. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    Stopped reading at "Yet that's precisely how he plays". You need to be able to modify your game to the conditions, game situation etc. that's why Taylor is doing so well
    True, but that's exactly how McCullum played. He didn't adapt around or during the WC, he just came out and whacked it. Difference was he was 100% commited to that role. Munro is betwixt and between.

10. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    Thanks for your article - most illuminating.

So it will work like this -

If an Opener goes down Munro is a straight swap
    If Kane or Ross goes down then Munro opens and Nicholls goes to three or four.
    If Latham goes down then Munro opens and Nicholls goes to five and gets the gloves.

If Neesham goes down then I suppose it will be a straight swap with Munro asked to bowl 4-5 overs

Actually given those scenarios and Nicholls flexibility we might lose if we get an injury but at least we will be well covered in theory.

We didn't need Tom Latham in 2015 so hopefully won't need Munro.

All that said if I were picking the team I would rest Ross or Kane (who needs to freshen up) in one or two of the Bangla matches and give Young a run to see if he is an option as back up.
    I think Young is the ideal replacement for Latham, Kane or Ross... with Nips taking the gloves... But to take Young as well, it means only 1 spare quick if Sodhi is a spare spinner...

11. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    I have been thinking about the blue print and the world cup/future games.

I think the two areas we need to address are

1) Who will open the bowling with Boulter. If the ball starts to swing its Southee if it doesn't then who.

2) The lower middle order batting.
    I have done some batting permutations and I think we can, all things going swimmingly, get to 200 in the 35th to 40th over on most occassions. That will leave it up to our lower middle order to "bring it home" and score about 120 runs in the last 35 overs. In the champions trophy we failed miserably at this and had a lower middle order of Neesham, Anderson, Santner, Milne

This time around we have - possibly Neesham, Santner, CDG, Astle

The only upgrade seem to be that Neesham is in better nick and Astle is better than Milne although Milne did ok.

Furthermore Santner is out of form at the minute due to his injury lay off. CDG vs Anderson could be a neglible trade off as CDG seem to not know how to bat against Leg spin. We could jettison in Anderson but he screwed up last time plus he is like a 1970s car on cold winters morning, he takes a long time to warm up.

We need to address this area, ideally Bracewell would have been perfect, but his bowling is just so inaccurate.

I think someone needs to come in for CDG whose name is not Bracewell or Anderson. Am struggling to think of names.

I guess you could go Neesham/Astle/Santner/Kuggs

Even though we (only one game ago) seem to have bravely addressed the opening issue we need to examine the position CDG holds.

From a bowling perspective we are looking like

The stat next to the person is wickets per bowling ODI innings

Boult 1.84
    Someone - Ferguson/Southee 1.67/1.3
    Astle/Sodhi 1.3/1.3
    Santer 1.2 per inning
    CDG 0.66 per inning
    Neesham 1 per inning

Total expected wickets per inning all things being equal = 7.5

You will notice I listed 6 bowlers - this is because we often bowl 6 bowlers and I have used wickets per inning and not SR so it "should" balance out ok.

7.5 means often we havn't been bowling teams out.

It is very tempting to go Bracewell or Kuggs over CDG to help the bowling. Bracewell averages 1.2 wickets per game and I reckon Kuggs will sail around 1.3 or 1.4

Having either of them instead of CDG would lift our expected wickets to 8.1 wickets per game.

Also with CDG not performing from a batting perspective you might not lose much from that angle.

It really sucks we don't have another 7-10 games to tinker with our ODI line up.
    CdG is a genuine swing and seam bowler. If there's assistance - he's a genuine wicket taking threat. More than Doug Bracewell. More than Wagner even... If its flat - CdG's useless and a liability...

I don't want Bracewell near the team. I don't rate him.

12. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    I think Young is the ideal replacement for Latham, Kane or Ross... with Nips taking the gloves... But to take Young as well, it means only 1 spare quick if Sodhi is a spare spinner...
    List your XV as of today - and differentiate between the starting XI and reserves

13. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    List your XV as of today - and differentiate between the starting XI and reserves
    Thursday's team plus Sodhi, Young, Munro/Mitchell (pending the t20 games) and I'd drop Henry altogether and take Ferg and Southee.

I am interested in Kuggs... I want him in the squad. But he hasn't played an odi since 2017...

14. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    Thursday's team plus Sodhi, Young, Munro/Mitchell (pending the t20 games) and I'd drop Henry altogether and take Ferg and Southee.

I am interested in Kuggs... I want him in the squad. But he hasn't played an odi since 2017...
    So your including CDG in the starting eleven?

15. Post
    Name:  images (5).jpg
Views: 62
Size:  4.9 KB
    5th ODI {Westpac, Wgtn}
    NZ v INDIA
    Sun 3rd Feb - 3pm

Odds : NZ $2.00 - India $1.81
    https://www.tab.co.nz/sports/event/3...ealand-v-india

16. Post
    munro back with the peasants..

17. Post
    turning_point wrote:
    munro back with the peasants..
    And getting smashed when your down, your down

18. Post
    Oh dear...perfect opportunity to bring Young in to the team

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...raining-injury

19. Post
    Yeah, both Young and Worker might still be in Wellington?

I thought NZC had some travel/rest/play rule which is why ODI's and T20's are usually three days apart?

20. Post
    Good news is Munro doesn't lose T20 form despite his ODI struggles.

Bad news is he doesn't play like this in ODI's. His only show as an opener in ODI's is doing this.

labcat wrote:
    Yeah, both Young and Worker might still be in Wellington?

I thought NZC had some travel/rest/play rule which is why ODI's and T20's are usually three days apart?
    Thought the same, but then again Neesham played for Wellington then was on the plane that night for Hamilton. Was one day though, this is next day.

21. Post
    <N> wrote:
    Good news is Munro doesn't lose T20 form despite his ODI struggles.

Bad news is he doesn't play like this in ODI's. His only show as an opener in ODI's is doing this.
    And bad news, NZC will use his domestic bullying form as justification for ODI selection.

22. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    And bad news, NZC will use his domestic bullying form as justification for ODI selection.
    I mean, he's facing Kuggs and Abbot, and Wagner to an extent. That's INT class bowling attack.

23. Post
    Gee Cachopa always seems to score runs when he's on tv... and hardly ever when he's not on tv...

24. Post
    Not seeing much impressive in Mitchell's death bowling there...

25. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    Oh dear...perfect opportunity to bring Young in to the team

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...raining-injury
    It says they won't make a call on Guptill's injury until the morning. Let's hope he plays in the first instance.

I mean Munro must really the biggest rabbits foot collection in the world.