Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

1. Post
    yeah and you'll want that Daim cake too

2. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Does Ikea do installation as well?

Cause would be pretty cool - buying everything online, they come out to deliver and they install and setup everything how and where you want it

You got get companies that do fitouts, but are mostly focused on the commercial side
    I don't think you're quite getting it. That's half the fun.

3. Post
    Isin't that the acid test for a marrige?

If you can build Ikea products together without splitting up or involving a homocide, *nothing* will faze you

4. Post
    I was also very much blind about the whole IKEA business until I actually visited one massive store overseas. You could literally walk in the store in the morning, spend the whole morning, have lunch, spend the whole afternoon and not be bored for hours. Really perfect for budget decorating and room styling options, home staging, accessorising, lots of little knick knacks that you never knew you needed/wanted but its there.
    Im sure there must be a tonne of youtube videos of blog style walk arounds of these stores.

Have they announced where the auckland store is going to be built?

5. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    yeah and you'll want that Daim cake too
    Goddamn I hope they have Daim ice cream

6. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    I don't think you're quite getting it. That's half the fun.
    Yep I love to spend free time assembling furniture.. I also enjoy watching paint dry

MAC_HATER wrote:
    Isin't that the acid test for a marrige?

If you can build Ikea products together without splitting up or involving a homocide, *nothing* will faze you
    Ah now I understand the appeal, couples buy from Ikea as their second honeymoon - shall have to try this test

focus wrote:
    I was also very much blind about the whole IKEA business until I actually visited one massive store overseas. You could literally walk in the store in the morning, spend the whole morning, have lunch, spend the whole afternoon and not be bored for hours. Really perfect for budget decorating and room styling options, home staging, accessorising, lots of little knick knacks that you never knew you needed/wanted but its there.
    Im sure there must be a tonne of youtube videos of blog style walk arounds of these stores.

Have they announced where the auckland store is going to be built?
    They have not announced the exact location for the store
    But based on how big people say it will be, it will need to be a pretty hefty site

logically it would be somewhere central like Sylvia park.
    Central to Auckland, so not too far for everyone to travel, plus close enough to the CBD and Central suburbs where many of the customers will be from

7. Post
    Um I actually do. It's like a 3D puzzle, what's not to love.

8. Post
    If you're in a hurry, the showroom is the worst place to be, it's like an awful maze of consumerism. I like how someone said earlier "stuff you didn't know you needed", if you like loading up your house with junk that collects dust then yeah sure

9. Post
    Not proud of this but my missus usually puts together most furniture stuff we buy lol.

10. Post
    TECHNOVIKING wrote:
    Um I actually do. It's like a 3D puzzle, what's not to love.
    I don't particularly enjoy actual puzzles or puzzle games either, meh people enjoy different things
    Like those women's day type magazines you can buy that has like 10 pages of different types of puzzles, crosswords etc - I get bored after a couple minutes because it's too easy. Some of the harder Sudoku ones are a bit more fun though

w0lfbrains wrote:
    I like how someone said earlier "stuff you didn't know you needed", if you like loading up your house with junk that collects dust then yeah sure
    That's me in a harvey norman/jaycar/pbtech etc - I don't need plates or bedding, I could sleep on a bed of graphics cards

11. Post
    No staying power. happens when you get older.

12. Post
    Kog wrote:
    Wasn't there a huge Ikea fanboy here?

Went to one in Brissy, thing was huge and had a cafeteria. Got some brekky (yes, meatballs included)
    I made this thread about it five years ago. I guess I'm a fanboy.

13. Post
    its hard to decipher what "central auckland" means now. before it used to mean CBD, then newmarket, then now even sylvia park is "central auckland"

I wonder if it might pop up on the corner of south eastern highway and carbine road (the big empty lot next to Computer Lounge)

14. Post
    focus wrote:
    its hard to decipher what "central auckland" means now. before it used to mean CBD, then newmarket, then now even sylvia park is "central auckland"

I wonder if it might pop up on the corner of south eastern highway and carbine road (the big empty lot next to Computer Lounge)
    Oh I hope not, the traffic getting to CL on Carbine Road is awful enough as it is
    If Mt Wellington is not considered central then what would you call it? I don't see it as being East or South?

15. Post
    At this point, i wont even mind if the meatballs are made from horse meat

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

16. Post
    Hopefully Ikea can provide an online store with delivery for non-Aucklanders.

Although I am very happy with some of the stuff K-Mart sells. $40 for a TV stand? You fkn beauty!

17. Post
    JoeSkie wrote:
    Hopefully Ikea can provide an online store with delivery for non-Aucklanders.

Although I am very happy with some of the stuff K-Mart sells. $40 for a TV stand? You fkn beauty!
    Online will be first, followed by the first store.

IKEA generally position near good access, so close to a motorway(s) is likely.

18. Post
    the site they have in mind is slated to have 1000 of its own carparks, its going to be ****ing massive

19. Post
    Karl_KaKa wrote:
    At this point, i wont even mind if the meatballs are made from horse meat

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Have had horse and reindeer salami. Notbad.jpg

20. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Does Ikea do installation as well?

Cause would be pretty cool - buying everything online, they come out to deliver and they install and setup everything how and where you want it

You got get companies that do fitouts, but are mostly focused on the commercial side
    Yeah they do delivery and assembly for an additional fee.

The other bit where they really compete is custom-built kitchens and wardrobes - a few of my mates have IKEA kitchens and the build quality and finish are amazing (at a ridiculously low price).

When I moved to Sydney 4 1/2 years ago I outfitted my entire apartment in IKEA furniture (with a few exceptions - got my mattress and office chair from elsewhere). We have just ordered a new couch (the couch still has a few years of life in it but we wanted a change) but otherwise everything is still in good nick.

There are definitely different grades of quality - the bottom tier stuff is ugly but well constructed and cheap as, the better looking stuff is generally a bit more expensive (but still much cheaper than e.g. Freedom for similar quality/design).

St4lk3r wrote:
    the site they have in mind is slated to have 1000 of its own carparks, its going to be ****ing massive
    Yeah generally they like to be near transport links - so I'd predict it to be out towards the airport/port

21. Post
    Let's not forget about the show 'Ikea Heights' either.....

22. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    They're launching a store in Auckland and the media is going bananas

I've had a look at the pictures of what they stock and it just looks like any pretty boring cheap furniture

Am I missing something?
    Ikea is awesome... Once again you show your nativity about life SirDim.... As per above they revolutionised stylish and affordable flat pack furniture with a level of efficiency only Swedish people can achieve.

w0lfbrains wrote:
    I don't think Grim's mum lets him have a say in what furniture goes in the house
    lol

23. Post
    Konev wrote:
    hope the online is available late this year, will make fitting out a new house easier.
    I don't like your chances, it's still years away.

24. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    There are definitely different grades of quality - the bottom tier stuff is ugly but well constructed and cheap as, the better looking stuff is generally a bit more expensive (but still much cheaper than e.g. Freedom for similar quality/design)
    Even their cheap stuff puts to shame other things you could have bought from other places in Sydney like Bunnings (or at Bunnings in NZ), etc... As with everything else "cabinet making" is all about how you put it together and I've seen a lot of second hand Ikea that was put together by someone with no clue, but if you build it properly it offers a level of quality you can't get for the same amount of money elsewhere.

25. Post
    The tall glass display cases will be pretty sweet.