1. Post
    I have a couple of kitchen utensils from Ikea - I tell ya what - absolute quality. Best I've ever used. So much so I've had friends send me more from Aust and I've given them as gifts - the recipients of which also rated them very highly.

2. Post
    HunHunter wrote:
    The tall glass display cases will be pretty sweet.
    Have one of those already from one of the importers places. Great value and cool case, just need to setup some lights for it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14907787_10211705809107660_1940315270_o.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	224620

3. Post
    Ohh I might have to look into a display case for the newly completed Death Star at our place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	709B5C6C-11FE-4497-86E8-F5DBBA0A8910.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	600.0 KB 
ID:	224621

4. Post
    They said on the news tonight that they will start with a pop-up store, and that when their flagship store opens in Auckland in a few years, that (in a world first) their online store will carry their full range and will be available to the whole country.

At a later date they will open their second store in the South Island (I am guessing Christchurch).

They also said people spend on average 4 hours in their stores... RIP NZ retail.

5. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    They said on the news tonight that they will start with a pop-up store, and that when their flagship store opens in Auckland in a few years, that (in a world first) their online store will carry their full range and will be available to the whole country.

At a later date they will open their second store in the South Island (I am guessing Christchurch).

They also said people spend on average 4 hours in their stores... RIP NZ retail.
    Yeah it's about 90 minutes to navigate/walk the showroom, 60 minutes to find stuff in the warehouse, 60 minutes queuing, meal/toilet breaks

that's only a slight exaggeration

6. Post
    Or you can just look up the part numbers online and walk into the depot and buy the parts you need... You're not doing Ikea right.

7. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    I made this thread about it five years ago. I guess I'm a fanboy.
    Hehe yes it's you

8. Post
    HunHunter wrote:
    The tall glass display cases will be pretty sweet.
    Oh yea deltofs or whatever. Gonna get some

9. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Ohh I might have to look into a display case for the newly completed Death Star at our place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	709B5C6C-11FE-4497-86E8-F5DBBA0A8910.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	600.0 KB 
ID:	224621
    2 things

1) Give it to me, you asshole.
    2) it may not fit in one of that specific glass display case, therefore ill look after it, at my house

i looked up the sizes on their site and im not sure my UCS stuff (Star Wars/big marvel) wont fit either

10. Post
    Haha, you’ll never get it, I got it for the Mrs for Xmas. It was her dream Lego, she’s wanted it for years.

11. Post

12. Post
    Puk wrote:
    Very good

13. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    2 things

1) Give it to me, you asshole.
    2) it may not fit in one of that specific glass display case, therefore ill look after it, at my house

i looked up the sizes on their site and im not sure my UCS stuff (Star Wars/big marvel) wont fit either
    Yeah i was just looking at that pic. Not sure it'll fit. The Vadar at the top is about 12" inch tall with stand. And it's not as wide or deep as that. It's perfect for all my Hot Toys items which haven't gone in there yet.

14. Post
    Do they do other sizes? That’s more what I was thinking for it.

15. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Not that I know of in that model. Which I think I remember is called the Detolf.
    Others: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/c.../dining/10410/

16. Post
    focus wrote:
    Have they announced where the auckland store is going to be built?
    I think NorthWest is trying to entice them, apparently they have 50ha free for development

17. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    I think you need a FABRIKÖR

18. Post
    I want a TIE fighter. Or Hogwarts.

19. Post
    IKEA sell wooden train tracks that are compatible with official Thomas the Tank Engine ones so my house is getting enough railways to give a Greens supporter a permanent stiffy

20. Post
    Wandering around IKEA in China is hilarious. There are a whole lot of model bedrooms/living rooms etc for showing off the products, and most of the couches and beds have people sleeping in them. These people aren't homeless, they just love IKEA, and get tired while navigating the maze of homewares so decide to take a midday sleep. It seems to be a real destination for a nice day out.

I buy most of the stuff for my apartment at IKEA, just because it's decent quality, reasonably cheap, and looks nice. I got an awesome table with adjustable telescoping legs that I use as my computer desk, and it only cost about $30 NZD. It's awesome because I can adjust it to the perfect height to eliminate shoulder strain while I play games.
    I imagine something similar at the Warehouse or K-Mart would be upward of $200.

i.e.awesome wrote:
    I want a TIE fighter. Or Hogwarts.
    I've been buying a bunch of the knockoff lego star wars sets in China, I've got the millennium falcon, Poe's X-wing, Vader's imperial shuttle, AT-ST walker, and a TIE fighter. I just disassembled them to bring them back to NZ, they take up half of my big suitcase

I am really torn, as I'd love to buy the BIIIIGGGGG star destroyer, I can get it for about $100 NZD, but it has so many pieces and I dunno if it'll fit in my suitcase...

21. Post
    JC wrote:
    IKEA sell wooden train tracks that are compatible with official Thomas the Tank Engine ones so my house is getting enough railways to give a Greens supporter a permanent stiffy
    Kmart also sells them for sweet FA.

22. Post
    Mancubus wrote:
    Kmart also sells them for sweet FA.
    Good tip, Daddio

23. Post
    JC wrote:
    This? It's not compatible with Trackmaster which is best Thomas.

24. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    This? It's not compatible with Trackmaster which is best Thomas.
    It is actually compatible, except for the bridges. But my kids are too young for leet shit like Trackmaster anyway so it's all good.

25. Post
    Here's the thing - NZ hasn't needed an IKEA since Kmart stepped in and became the go to for fashionable yet extremely cheap furniture. I have a feeling in NZ it may be a bit...du jour. IKEA is cheaper than the likes of Freedom, Harvey Norman and even Target (since Target decided to up its prices in the hopes that their perception as a semi-cheap furniture shop would change), but it's not CHEAP. We own a few IKEA bedroom items and they become outdated VERY quickly (which is why the likes of Kmart update their range pretty rapidly, but at those prices, who cares?).

Remember Top Shop? The 'international' clothing brand that crashed and burned in NZ because they were charging $50 for a T shirt which had the same quality as something you could find in Jay Jays or Cotton On for $10. We're not dummies (most of the time...).

The Warehouse seem to all but given up in the trendy, affordable housewares and have gone back to dull, beige/white average-looking...everything.

I just don't see what gap IKEA are trying to fill in NZ.