Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

1. Post

So whats the deal with Ikea all of a sudden

They're launching a store in Auckland and the media is going bananas

I've had a look at the pictures of what they stock and it just looks like any pretty boring cheap furniture

Am I missing something?

2. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Am I missing something?
    Where do we start

3. Post
    They revolutionised the concept of flat-pack furniture, and did it in that super-efficient Swedish way. They also did it in a way that introduced some very stylish designs, clean lines, very minimal. Well made, good quality and easy to put together.

There’s been a guy on the internet who has been lobbying IKEA for over 10 years to open an NZ store, and a lot of people are excited about it. Our whole bedroom furniture suite is from IKEA, which we got from TradeMe (think a dude had brought in a container load).

Grim, i’d suggest that you reserve judgement until you have had the opportunity to actually go through the store when it opens. They are really going to give the likes of Freedom Furniture a run for it’s money.

4. Post
    When i was living overseas, mrs and i like to buy ikea stuff because generally above average quality and cheap prices. Some of their products are interchangeable. Got a 2m table for 2 PCs, playstation and some junk and still have room left for $120ish

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

5. Post
    I don't think Grim's mum lets him have a say in what furniture goes in the house

6. Post
    Hard to beat that with the furniture stores in nz. I believe ikea will bring lots of competition to existing business unless they up their game

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

7. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    They revolutionised the concept of flat-pack furniture, and did it in that super-efficient Swedish way. They also did it in a way that introduced some very stylish designs, clean lines, very minimal. Well made, good quality and easy to put together.

There’s been a guy on the internet who has been lobbying IKEA for over 10 years to open an NZ store, and a lot of people are excited about it. Our whole bedroom furniture suite is from IKEA, which we got from TradeMe (think a dude had brought in a container load).

Grim, i’d suggest that you reserve judgement until you have had the opportunity to actually go through the store when it opens. They are really going to give the likes of Freedom Furniture a run for it’s money.
    I don't like any of Freedom furniture's stuff either - e.g if looking for an entertainment unit in the lounge even Noel Leeming/Harvey sell better looking stuff
    but I do agree that furniture in general is expensive in new zealand

8. Post
    The IKEA liker has logged on...

Their solid wood stuff is very affordable, and kicks the bum of things like Freedom or the Warehouse for a similar price. For homewares and the like, you can't beat them - setting up a new flat with an IKEA in town is a lot easier than trying to cobble shit together from Warehouse/Briscoes etc and the quality is good.

It's not high end stuff (although some of their storage solutions are pretty flash/expendo these days) - but it's solid and well designed. The days of it being considered tatty old flat-pack are over.

I can understand if a powerful money-god like SirGrim would turn his nose up at it, but it's pretty leet having an IKEA in town IMHO

This documentary is pretty good - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6fcf8z

9. Post
    Have just set up our first home and there are four tiers, trademe, generic furniture stores that all sell the exact same range as each other and trademe, harvey norman, danske mobler, freedom etc which is ****ing expensive and then theres the designer places that i dont know who can afford.

So yeah, i think Ikea will decimate trademe/generic furniture stores, and take a huge chunk out of kmart for homewares, the warehouse doesnt really have much in the furniture department for it to be an issue, but from experience ikea has varying levels of quality, but it looks the part, and its far more affordable

10. Post
    I thought Ikea was already here in a way not counting that weird copy shop in Glenfield mall (I don't think those are real Ikea products) Via One Story which is where I got my Ikea table that converts into a cupboard like thing. (bloody expensive but really nice table) I think alot of the Ikea stuff is great for people with smallish houses and want some nice n tidy furniture.

11. Post
    Hey Dana...

12. Post
    JC wrote:
    The IKEA liker has logged on...

Their solid wood stuff is very affordable, and kicks the bum of things like Freedom or the Warehouse for a similar price. For homewares and the like, you can't beat them - setting up a new flat with an IKEA in town is a lot easier than trying to cobble shit together from Warehouse/Briscoes etc and the quality is good.

It's not high end stuff (although some of their storage solutions are pretty flash/expendo these days) - but it's solid and well designed. The days of it being considered tatty old flat-pack are over.

I can understand if a powerful money-god like SirGrim would turn his nose up at it, but it's pretty leet having an IKEA in town IMHO

This documentary is pretty good - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6fcf8z
    Fair enough, I'm passed the student flatting stage so I guess that explains why it doesn't appeal
    I can definitely see the appeal with some of the pieces where living in place where space is a commodity such as communal living

WarZoner wrote:
    I thought Ikea was already here in a way not counting that weird copy shop in Glenfield mall (I don't think those are real Ikea products) Via One Story which is where I got my Ikea table that converts into a cupboard like thing. (bloody expensive but really nice table) I think alot of the Ikea stuff is great for people with smallish houses and want some nice n tidy furniture.
    It looks like some stores already import some ikea stuff
    I guess if they wanted to Ikea can just price all those little stores out of the market

13. Post
    Sounds cheap & decent & I'm all about value for money so sounds good to me.

14. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Fair enough, I'm passed the student flatting stage so I guess that explains why it doesn't appeal
    I can definitely see the appeal with some of the pieces where living in place where space is a commodity such as communal living
    Oh I didn't mean student flatting, I guess I meant apartments etc. As Subway said there is a varying degree of quality in Ikea's range, but it's pretty hard to go past for basics and storage, at least. I wouldn't buy a couch there, but I did get a book case and a potato masher. It was a good day.

15. Post
    JC wrote:
    Oh I didn't mean student flatting, I guess I meant apartments etc. As Subway said there is a varying degree of quality in Ikea's range, but it's pretty hard to go past for basics and storage, at least. I wouldn't buy a couch there, but I did get a book case and a potato masher. It was a good day.
    Yeah I get you

Would be cool if they do encroach on briscoes because briscoes' quality has been going downhill and they aren't cheap either

stuff makes me feel old now

16. Post
    More competition is a good thing...I had quite a few IKEA things when I lived in the UK, happy to see these guys coming here finally,

17. Post
    their idea of flat pack puts the generic shitty flatpack stuff (the warehouse and the likes)to shame, their camlocks actually last more than one assembly and the veneers are considerably higher quality, A++ for them coming to NZ as i know theyve been trying for a long time. it will probably kill out that OneStory place though as their entire business model is based on the fact that Ikea didnt exist/couldnt justify being here

- - - Updated - - -

also, Meatballs. The End.

18. Post
    Went to IKEA in Melbourne years ago, have been angsting for them to come here ever since

19. Post
    Wasn't there a huge Ikea fanboy here?

Went to one in Brissy, thing was huge and had a cafeteria. Got some brekky (yes, meatballs included)

20. Post
    Went to the warehouse the other day to find a bookcase or something similar but they had nothing.

21. Post
    hope the online is available late this year, will make fitting out a new house easier.

22. Post
    Konev wrote:
    hope the online is available late this year, will make fitting out a new house easier.
    Does Ikea do installation as well?

Cause would be pretty cool - buying everything online, they come out to deliver and they install and setup everything how and where you want it

You got get companies that do fitouts, but are mostly focused on the commercial side

23. Post
    Mmmmm Swedish meatballs

24. Post
    Yes, lets not forget they serve some good cheap food also - which most kiwis aren't aware of.

25. Post
    I'm just hoping to be able to get Swedish food here. There are some shops in Auckland that sell Swedish stuff but I bought a jar of lingonberry jam delivered and it cost me $20.