Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
(8 votes)
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Bungie Splits With Activision

wow and they get to keep Destiny.

OUR DESTINY
    0h - Destiny Dev Team

When we first launched our partnership with Activision in 2010, the gaming industry was in a pretty different place. As an independent studio setting out to build a brand new experience, we wanted a partner willing to take a big leap of faith with us. We had a vision for Destiny that we believed in, but to launch a game of that magnitude, we needed the support of an established publishing partner.

With Activision, we created something special. To date, Destiny has delivered a combination of over 50 million games and expansions to players all around the world. More importantly, we’ve also witnessed a remarkable community – tens of millions of Guardians strong – rise up and embrace Destiny, to play together, to make and share memories, and even to do truly great things that reach far beyond the game we share, to deliver a positive impact on people’s everyday lives.

We have enjoyed a successful eight-year run and would like to thank Activision for their partnership on Destiny. Looking ahead, we’re excited to announce plans for Activision to transfer publishing rights for Destiny to Bungie. With our remarkable Destiny community, we are ready to publish on our own, while Activision will increase their focus on owned IP projects.

The planned transition process is already underway in its early stages, with Bungie and Activision both committed to making sure the handoff is as seamless as possible.

With Forsaken, we’ve learned, and listened, and leaned in to what we believe our players want from a great Destiny experience. Rest assured there is more of that on the way. We’ll continue to deliver on the existing Destiny roadmap, and we’re looking forward to releasing more seasonal experiences in the coming months, as well as surprising our community with some exciting announcements about what lies beyond.

Thank you so much for your continued support. Our success is owed in no small part to the incredible community of players who have graced our worlds with light and life. We know self-publishing won’t be easy; there’s still much for us to learn as we grow as an independent, global studio, but we see unbounded opportunities and potential in Destiny. We know that new adventures await us all on new worlds filled with mystery, adventure, and hope. We hope you’ll join us there.

See you starside.

BUNGiE

2. Post
    Bungie now only have to deal with being reamed by NetEase.

3. Post
    Wonder if Microsoft is looking to buy them again

4. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Wonder if Microsoft is looking to buy them again
    You might be onto something.

Tweet from Phil Spencer.

Looking forward to a very bright future working with one of my favorite independent studios on one of my favorite franchises. Excited to see how they continue to grow and evolve Destiny.
    https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/10...75683102285826

5. Post
    Destiny 3 xbox/pc exclusive?

6. Post
    This will be interesting to keep an eye on

7. Post
    Bungie to make Halo 6? :P

Not that the Halo franchise has much relevance anymore after what was done with 5.

8. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Destiny 3 xbox/pc exclusive?
    Nah, too many Destiny customers on PlayStation for them to walk away from.

Will Destiny 2 migrate away from Blizzard Bnet App? Will probably go with stand-alone launcher or Epic one rather than Steam. Destiny is big but I don't think it's big enough on PC to ignore Steam userbase if they walk away from Blizzard's clout.

9. Post
    They really should move away from Blizzard / Activision. Neither seems to be on the up anyway. A good clean break would benefit Bungie .

10. Post
    Rii wrote:
    Bungie now only have to deal with being reamed by NetEase.
    Lmao I was thinking this when i heard the news.

11. Post
    classy devolver

12. Post
    The vultures are circling.

Bungie didn't learn from Microsoft, not that it was a bad thing from the gamer's perspective really, but Bungie whinged about Microsoft no-end and then turned straight to one of the industry's over-bearing publishers.

They'll be back in bed with another publisher soon enough that they can blame all their shortcomings on.

13. Post
    Rii wrote:
    They'll be back in bed with another publisher soon enough that they can blame all their shortcomings on.
    I highly doubt that. They may enter into publishing agreements, but their name and successes with Destiny despite Acti's "disappointment" with sales numbers means that they should be able to secure funding moving forward with little trouble.
    Who knows what directly they'll take the game without the need to keep shareholders expectations met. Could be what is needed to take the series to the next level.
    Also "their shortcomings" assumes that they big decisions were Bungies to make, and I expect that is not the case. The product would have been forced into a shape Acti wanted which is possibly quite different than what Bungie wanted to release. I don't think it fair to judge them when anything they produced was not under their complete control.

14. Post
    now we get to wait and see how much of the horrible decisions were Bungie's work or Activision's.
    how many more MT's can they stuff into Destiny?, can they release a game without having people buying trash DLC packs?.

or will they prove that all the missteps and screw up's were entirely Activision pushing them in for investor numbers?

it will be interesting to see if they can regain any of the faith they lost from players during the last 2+ years.

15. Post
    Scheriers book has a great article about Bungie imo.

16. Post
    They should bring back Myth, i liked that game.

17. Post
    |icED-e@RtH| wrote:
    They should bring back Myth, i liked that game.
    Oni as well.

Name:  MV5BY2Q2MTZkMWMtZmE3Mi00Mzc5LTgzNGQtMzE5MmZiNDIyNmJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  129.6 KB

18. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Oni as well.

Name:  MV5BY2Q2MTZkMWMtZmE3Mi00Mzc5LTgzNGQtMzE5MmZiNDIyNmJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  129.6 KB
    pretty sure i still have my ps2 copy of this somewhere.

19. Post
    This is potentially the greatest thing ever for Destiny, as long as having no Acti deadlines means big content droughts...hopefully not though.

Now, are they going to still do a 3rd big expansion ala Rise of Iron for D1, or totally bypass that now, and head straight into D3, that's the question for sure...

20. Post
    This has also made me realise what would make me the happiest gamer of all time (or there abouts)...imagine this:

BioWare did the same thing, taking the Mass Effect, KOTOR and Dragon Age ips with them (they can leave Anthem on the sacrificial alter lol)...then re-hired Drew K.

I know this isn't going to happen, but I'm just imagining how amazing that would feel (I'm a masochist, obviously).

21. Post
    BioWare is gone. ALL of the people that made the games you like are gone. It's just a name now. Let it go.

22. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    BioWare is gone. ALL of the people that made the games you like are gone. It's just a name now. Let it go.
    I know this to be true, was more a pipe dream if it was at all (it's 0%) viable

23. Post
    We have Obsidian, Larian, and CDPR to carry on their noble goal before they lost their way. It is a sad day when you see your heroes fall. This must have been what the 13 Colonies felt when they discovered Benedict Arnolds betrayal. Heck, this may hurt even more.

24. Post
    Don't forget InXile Entertainment, i know you don't like Fargo, but i still have hope for their games..enjoying playing through the Bards tale trilogy atm.

25. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    We have Obsidian, Larian, and CDPR to carry on their noble goal before they lost their way. It is a sad day when you see your heroes fall. This must have been what the 13 Colonies felt when they discovered Benedict Arnolds betrayal. Heck, this may hurt even more.
    I hear you: and much like in that failed treachery, greed got the better of Arnold, much like EA giving poor old BioWare Montreal the Mass Effect IP's reigns... to kick out a product fast and furious to milk our quads and credit chits dry, betraying all that Shepard had done in the past....for a couple of million sales and endless gifs of frustration and a shelved IP His past glories in battle, forgotten..now there is only this:

You're so right about the future being bright though: we have Cyberpunk 2077, The Outer Worlds and a new game (please be DOS3) from Larian in development; heaven, absolute heaven.

The real difference for me, especially with RPGs like the above devs work, is in the little details, and the way things are written/narrated within the game.

You really notice when love has been poured into a RPG these days too: with DOS2, I wonder how much Kevin VanOrd's writing was a creative guiding light for the whimsical parts of the game...you can picture him writing the exquisitely detailed item descriptions and little book entries in the game (some of my biggest lols are here).

I always enjoyed his reviews on Gamespot, all those old school RPG ones when him and Gertzman alternated turns...the glory Gamespot years now filtered down into amazing RPG writing and characterisation at one of the best devs in the world: so good.

Brilliant time to be a RPG fan bro, great times.