1. Post

Custom Loop (WC) Advice

Hey guys,

I plan on getting one of these kits soon - https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/com...p?partid=31252

I've done soft tube WC'ing before and want to move into hard tubing. Realizing I'm going to have to invest in a few other tools as well (heat gun etc.) which is fine. But before I buy I thought I'd ask to see if those who are more experienced than me if my money is getting a reasonable loop, or if for a similar outlay I could get something better when it comes to a block, pump/reservoir, fittings and rad.

The loop will only be put on my CPU.

Thanks!

2. Post
    what case are planing on putting it into ?. your looking at about $700+ for a custom loop using all ek parts.

3. Post
    What CPU you trying to cool?

4. Post
    It's going in an Antec EKWB Cube.

i5 4690K. It has a mild overclock, and yes I realise it doesn't need water. It's a personal project, not a necessity.

5. Post
    I'd put the money towards a new build first - way to much money to spend on cooling an old mid-range CPU IMHO.

6. Post
    I don't need a new build.

I game on a 970GTX Turbo OC with a healthy OC on top of that in 1080p. I hit 60fps in everything I play.

7. Post
    The thing is games are starting to get more demanding and your 4 core 4 thread CPU isn't going to cut in the not to distant future. I'd at least try and find cheap a secondhand i7-4790K to drop in it for the 8 threads if you are intent on spending all that cash on a cooler. Games like BF V for instance will benefit from that those extra threads.

I look at these things from a cost-benefit ratio as a Computer Tech, and I'd never advise a client to spend that kind of coin on cooling anything less than a high-end CPU that warrants it. That is my 2 cents anyway, do with it what you will.

8. Post
    Custom water cooling is usually never an exercise in cost efficacy.

Like I said, I realise it doesn't need water.

P.S, also worked as a tech. And I don't think I ever recommended custom loops to even high-end systems.

9. Post
    Well yes, it is never going to be cost effective exercise. I meant I wouldn't advise spending that kind of money on a system that isn't suitability high-end/expensive to being with - would kinda of be like ricer car, that is all show and no go.

At any rate I'd probably just have a chat/pick the brain of one of CL's techs who work with hard tubing regularly.

10. Post
    I'm pretty sure those rads are terrible. You want the PE series at least.

If it were me I would grab some more tubing too, first time bending the tubes you are bound to make a few mistakes?..