1. Post

Advice on prolonging this computers life.

So my current computer is a custom CL unit purchased in March 2014

Haswell Core i5 4670K 3.40GHz (H80i liquid cooled) running stock
    16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
    250GB EVO840 SSD
    2TB Barracuda HD
    GTX970 4GB Video card (was originally a GTX780)

Currently running ok but need it to last a bit longer, is there anything i can do that will add a bit more longevity to the unit?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Post
    What is currently causing you to want to upgrade?

3. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    What is currently causing you to want to upgrade?
    Currently the only games i will be getting in the foreseeable future are Anthem and The Division 2. i think i will be ok with the current setup but am just interested in others opinions if there is something i can tweak to get more life out of it.

I suspect i will be up-grading for Cyberpunk 2077 at this point.

4. Post
    Overclock the CPU, there will be some decent guides out there for that CPU. Apart from that it would be upgrading it to an i7 chip that fits your board (would need to check) or upgrading GPU. If you're happy enough with how it's running, i'd perhaps just start with the CPU overclock.

5. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Overclock the CPU, there will be some decent guides out there for that CPU. Apart from that it would be upgrading it to an i7 chip that fits your board (would need to check) or upgrading GPU. If you're happy enough with how it's running, i'd perhaps just start with the CPU overclock.
    thanks will look into that, the motherboard is a ASUS Maximus VI Hero Intel Z87 ATX Haswell LGA1150. will look for some guides

6. Post
    Yeah do some research into settings, and how its done and you should net some decent gains. Decent for free anyway, the CPU might even get up to like 4.5Ghz if it's a good one. Just make sure to keep an eye on temps and stress test it for stability. I forget the programs for that, but it should be mentioned in the overclocking guides.

7. Post
    Overclock + maybe a GTX 1070ti/1080