EA has canceled its open-world Star Wars game

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
(9 votes)

1. Post

EA has canceled its open-world Star Wars game

Oh ffs. Get EA away from the star wars license already.

BREAKING: EA has canceled its open-world Star Wars game, three sources tell me. This is the one that EA Vancouver took over when Visceral shut down in October 2017. Not clear what EA Vancouver will do next - rumors suggest yet another Star Wars project...
    https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonschr...31820194004993

2. Post
    I'm guessing this was more Disney's choice than it was EA's I'm betting.

3. Post
    Almost 6 years of having one of the biggest entertainment licenses in the world and all that EA has put is two shit Battlefield reskins. Utterly disgraceful!

4. Post
    They'd have to pull some kind of magic to get me to send any $ their way.

5. Post
    Yeah imagine if a competent publisher actually owned the license

6. Post
    They probably couldnt figure out how to add more forced grinding to make the insane monetization look attractive and just threw toys in a tantrum

Realistically though, is it actually just Disney going "Oi ****s, gtfo" ?

7. Post
    the crash.... it's happening.....

8. Post
    well , i do not expect anything worth spending money on from EA nowadays anyway so no real loss.

9. Post
    yeah typical "don't want to wait for the money!" response by the looks of it.

UPDATE: Since the publication of this article, I’ve talked to several more people familiar with EA Vancouver’s now-cancelled open-world Star Wars game. This project, which was code-named Orca, was very early in development but would involve playing as a scoundrel or bounty hunter who could explore various open-world planets and work with different factions across the Star Wars universe.

When EA’s top decision-makers looked at their road map for the next few years, they decided that they needed something earlier than the planned release date for Orca, according to two people familiar with what happened. So they cancelled Orca in favor of a smaller-scale Star Wars project that’s now aimed for much sooner — likely, late 2020, which also happens to be around the time that I’ve heard next-gen consoles will launch. (Might be a bit earlier; might be a bit later. From what I’ve heard, next-gen plans are definitely still in flux.)

To EA’s credit, those people said, the publisher did not lay anyone off as part of this transition. This news comes at a time of cost-cutting across the industry, at major publishers including both EA and Activision, as we’ve reported. Some at the studio also hope that Orca might be restarted after this new project is finished.
    https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/01/ea...tar-wars-game/

10. Post
    Probably a good thing.

11. Post
    Bloodline wrote:
    Probably a good thing.
    Yep.

12. Post
    RF Online? Haven't heard that name for a long time.

Lineage 2 and RF Online, seems like you like your grindfests :P

13. Post
    EA are totally bungling this licence....kind of reminds me how Bethesda are bungling the Fallout IP, this truly is the time for great properties to be sullied into the dirt.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

14. Post
    As long as I get my Respawn Jedi Fallen Order at the end of the year I could not care less.