1. Post

Dealership can't fix issue - What are my options

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a bit of an issue with a car I've just purchased and I'd like to know what my options are. its a bit of a long story but ill put a TL DR at the bottom

I purchased it from a well known Dealership (think Toyota/Nissan ETC) but the car itself was a Subaru Legacy. The dealer was selling it on behalf of a staff member.

The dealership is in Takanini and I'm based in Swanson West Auckland

When I purchased the car I gave it a quick once over and everything seemed OK apart from the back left break light not working. I also purchased a Mechanical warranty through the dealership as the salesman said they would do a full mechanical inspection before so any issues would be identified and fixed before the insurance came into effect

Happy with the purchase and a couple of days later after the check I started to drive it home. When I pulled out I heard a funny sound and noticed the car was driving a "off". I went to do a u-turn and pulled back in. When I got out I noticed the the front left wheel was being held on by 1 lug nut. Literally 1, and it was also lose. I went in, the workshop manager & salesman came out and had a look. They jacked it up and fixed it on the spot and away I went. They said that the workshop didn't put the right type of wheel-nut on, it came lose and caused the rest of them to loosen

Over the next couple of days I started to notice a knocking sound when the car was going over bumps, when the wheels were nearly in full lock, or especially if you were doing both. You could also feel the knocks in the accelerator pedal. I called up the dealership and booked it in to be inspected and to also get the air-con re-gassed as it wasn't working and lastly the break-light fixed too. A couple of days later I got the OK to pick it up.

After picking it up everything seemed OK, but the next day the same issue popped up. I called up the dealership and spoke with the workshop manger who said "yeah we couldn't find any issues and if there was a problem it would of been picked up in the mechanical check". I told him there is definitely an issue and he said bring it back in and someone
    from the workshop would come for a drive with me to hear it.

I advised it's a 1.5 hour round trip that I have to take off from work each time and asked if they could give me loaner car as my partner also takes time off work, or if I could take it to another dealership closer to home. They told me that I couldn't take it to another dealership as they couldn't control their costs and they would have to pay the other dealer for their work. They also weren't too keen on giving me a loaner car. The solution was to have the workshop pick the car up from the CBD and drop it off once it's fixed.

I declined this as I wasn't comfortable with a workshop mechanic taking my car for a 30 min spin unattended so I offered to take time off again as the mechanic would hear the sound and identify the issue. I get there, take him for a quick drive and sure enough he picks it up. He tells me it's something to do with the front right suspension
    and will fix it for me, but i'll need to come back again as it's going to take a day to fix

Today I went to pickup the car, and once again on the way home I can hear/feel the same problem. The only issue that they have been able to fix is the air-con being re-gassed

I'm not confident in the dealership for the following reasons

1) The wheel nearly coming lose
    2) Break light not fixed (should of be picked up during mechanic warranty check)
    3) Having the same issue return 3 times
    4) I can't prove anything but they left a lighter in my car and it has a smell to it that definitely wasn't there when I dropped it off.
    5) I've asked for a copy of the mechanical inspection & also each time I took it back I asked for paperwork. Each time I was promised this but it hasn't been delivered.

What are my options here? Can I take it to an independent mechanic and ask them to front the bill & fix the issues? am I out of luck because I didn't get a pre-purchase inspection done first?

TL : DR - I've been back to the same dealership on the over side of town 3 times to fix the same issue. Still having problems. Won't give me a lender car and can't take it to another dealership of the same company. What are my options ?

2. Post
    Return the car for a refund or keep taking it back until it's fixed

3. Post
    1: What year is the car?
    2: How many kms has it done?
    3: Was the vehicle "sold on behalf"?
    4: Have you tried talking to the salesman about it? They can be a little bit more useful than the workshop/service manager when it comes to following through on warranty work

4. Post
    When the sale of a vehicle has been arranged by a motor vehicle trader, even if the trader is selling it to on behalf of a private individual, you have the same rights as you would if the trader is selling a vehicle they own. The trader can’t refer you on to the previous owner and tell you it was a private sale.

This means that if the car turns out to have faults soon after you have bought it, and the trader had not disclosed them to you before the sale, you are entitled to have the problem remedied – and it is the trader who is responsible for fixing the problem, not the individual on whose behalf they are selling it.

Taken from the CAB: http://www.cab.org.nz/vat/tt/bs/Page...ardealers.aspx

Do not accept anything but a complete refund, the likely reason they’re trying to “sell on behalf” is because it’s ****ed.

5. Post
    these people sound like idiots. do they not explain to you what was found or done to your car when you pick it up? it seems stupid that you have to ring back the next day for them to even say "oh we didn't find anything herp derp". get your money back, then name and shame.

6. Post
    blackbox wrote:
    1: What year is the car?
    2: How many kms has it done?
    3: Was the vehicle "sold on behalf"?
    4: Have you tried talking to the salesman about it? They can be a little bit more useful than the workshop/service manager when it comes to following through on warranty work
    1) 2006
    2) 126,000 but has had an engine rebuild 6k ago
    3) no sold through the dealer
    4) Yes - To be fair the salesman has been great, it's more the service department letting it down

nzskater wrote:
    When the sale of a vehicle has been arranged by a motor vehicle trader, even if the trader is selling it to on behalf of a private individual, you have the same rights as you would if the trader is selling a vehicle they own. The trader can’t refer you on to the previous owner and tell you it was a private sale.

This means that if the car turns out to have faults soon after you have bought it, and the trader had not disclosed them to you before the sale, you are entitled to have the problem remedied – and it is the trader who is responsible for fixing the problem, not the individual on whose behalf they are selling it.

Taken from the CAB: http://www.cab.org.nz/vat/tt/bs/Page...ardealers.aspx

Do not accept anything but a complete refund, the likely reason they’re trying to “sell on behalf” is because it’s ****ed.
    I don't think it was sold on behalf, it was through the dealership as I have all the paperwork etc, I think the owner just asked the dealership to sell it as a favor. I'm actually happy with the car and would rather it be fixed then returned. It's mostly the 1.5 hour round trips to take it to the dealers, it'll be the 4th trip for the same issue.

JRS wrote:
    these people sound like idiots. do they not explain to you what was found or done to your car when you pick it up? it seems stupid that you have to ring back the next day for them to even say "oh we didn't find anything herp derp". get your money back, then name and shame.
    as above - i'm happy with the car aside from this issue. It's more the constant travel and having to take time off work.

7. Post
    #2 - query why the rebuild....... Subarus are good cars long as theyre serviced properly. Thats a low K to be rebuilding an engine if its been looked after. Im suspecting its been a tad thrashed........

8. Post
    Or maybe "rebuild" means valve cover gaskets and a set of spark plugs.

9. Post
    blackbox wrote:
    Or maybe "rebuild" means valve cover gaskets and a set of spark plugs.
    The "rebuild" on one Subaru I looked at consisted of head gaskets.... So could be anything.

In regards to OP, you have limited your options by wanting to stick with the car. All you can do is keep sending it in to be fixed.

10. Post
    doabackflip wrote:

as above - i'm happy with the car aside from this issue. It's more the constant travel and having to take time off work.
    let me put it this way... the guy who can't put on wheel nuts is likely the guy who's been doing all the work on that car while he's owned it. who know's what else he's ****ed up that will bite you further down the road.