Logitech z5500 no power?

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Question

Logitech z5500 no power?

Just turned it on and after 10 mins it turned itself off, no red standby light on the control pod. I checked the fuse which looks good, tested with a multimeter and I do get a reading so it's not that. I can also still hear a faint hum sound from the sub which I've always heard so that might mean it's not the sub at fault.

It has been turning itself off into standby mode very rarely the last few months. I've had it for 10 years and haven't had any problems til now.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Edit: I turned it off for an hour then turned it back on, still no joy, but 10 mins later suddenly turned itself on into standby again. Working for now, but still no idea what the cause is.

2. Post
    The control pod can fail, although there's lots of people repairing and modding them. If you only need the 3.5mm jacks (e.g. connected to PC soundcard) you can buy a bypass cable that eliminates the need for the pod.

3. Post
    Your control pod is failing look up the PID and find a replacement module here its happened to me with both my z5500 systems i just imported new control pods with matching PID's n was sweet ass

You can now also get bypass cables but i would still get the control pod as it control's the z5500 amp.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...l+pod&_sacat=0

4. Post
    Mine does that when my power plug is slightly coming out of the wall.
    I assume it is something you have already checked, but that is a lot easier than replacing bits if you haven't.

5. Post
    I did check all the cables but it wasn't that, it also came on itself after sitting idle for 10 mins so nothing had moved.

I did check the bypass pods on ebay but I'd rather learn to repair and keep my own, I just can't find any threads on how to repair the pod, lots of issues online but not my specific issue.

6. Post
    masscreation wrote:
    Your control pod is failing look up the PID and find a replacement module here its happened to me with both my z5500 systems i just imported new control pods with matching PID's n was sweet ass

You can now also get bypass cables but i would still get the control pod as it control's the z5500 amp.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...l+pod&_sacat=0
    You lose digital input and decoding (DTS/Dolby) though eh?

7. Post
    When I unplugged my z-680 (predecessor to the Z5500) recently it didn't turn on when I plugged it back in again.

I thought it was the fuse too so I took it out to have a look but it was fine.

However when I put it all back and plugged it in it suddenly worked.

So maybe the fuse was loose or perhaps there is a huge capacitor or something in there that needs to be charged.

8. Post
    Pod died again a week ago but it's stayed dead since. Still hear a hum from the sub when I turn it on, checked the fuse too, so it must be just the pod. I opened it up to have a look though. It had been turning itself off randomly the last few weeks though. Any ideas?

Name:  IMG_20190429_173855-1.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  1.05 MB

9. Post
    Nothing obvious I can spot from the picture, generally you look for burnt / blackened (signs of overheating etc) components or tracks / components coming free or contact points lifting, anything on the other side of the board?

My control pod used to turn off when it got hot, so installed some small adhesive backed heatsinks on the ICs (the larger black chips on the board) which seemed to help abit but I haven't run the system for a significant time in awhile. If worst comes to worst - depending in the PID of the set you have (should be printed on the bottom of the sub) - on Ebay there are control pod bypass cables under "z5500 bypass" (going straight from sound card / source to the input on the back of the sub).

10. Post
    I can't check the other side as I don't know how to take the volume knob off. I've got a post 636 PID so this is the only one that works but it doesn't have optical and there's no controls so I'm probably better off buying a replacement pod at that price (if I could find one): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Z-...53.m1438.l2649

I can also hear a very quiet hum from the pod when it's turned on so I know it's getting power.
    Last edited by Vic; 1st May 2019 at 6:01 pm.