Page 1 of 3 123 Last

1. Post

Valve salty after Metro Exodus moves to EPIC store

LOL

Valve are unhappy with the recent news that shooter sequel Metro Exodus is to be released on the Epic Games Store. The Steam owner has released a statement calling the practice "unfair to Steam customers."

The recent decision to give Metro Exodus Epic Games Store exclusivity comes after a long pre-order period has been open on the Steam Store. All previous pre-orders will be filled on their platform of origin, but Metro Exodus cannot be purchased digitally, on PC, anywhere other than Epic Games Store going forward. This exclusivity deal is contracted for one year.

"The developer and publisher have assured us that all prior sales of the game on Steam will be fulfilled on Steam," notes the statement on Metro Exodus former sales page. "We think the decision to remove the game is unfair to Steam customers, especially after a long pre-sale period. We apologize to Steam customers that were expecting it to be available for sale through the February 15th release date, but we were only recently informed of the decision and given limited time to let everyone know."

https://www.destructoid.com/valve-ca...s-540742.phtml

2. Post
    Good job. Devs are getting a better deal from Epic & about time Steam had some decent competition.

3. Post
    my only issue is the lack of user reviews for products on the website itself.

4. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    my only issue is the lack of user reviews for products on the website itself.
    Give it time. Steam was god awful and feature lacking for years.

5. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    I didn't use steam until about 2011, by that time it had matured enough to be decent

6. Post
    I don't see salt, what is this clickbait drama title for?

That is a genuinely a dick move, should've just opted out of Steam from the get go.

7. Post
    There was something that put Epic's Store in a bad light despite it's welcomed treatment of dev's. I forget what it is now.

I'm happy to see Steam get some competition. Might force them to reconnect with the gaming audience instead of releasing card games to booing audiences.

8. Post
    It's only timed though, right?

9. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    It's only timed though, right?
    til next year. I don't see why being too salty apart from just deciding to go for Epic games within a week or 2 of releasing it.

10. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Terrible logic, something shouldn't start years behind then

11. Post
    Kog wrote:
    Because all the comprable infrastructure, process, policy, and logistics can be created instantly from nothing right? Common sense please. How about giving them the change to build the store out. Origin sucked for years. Ubi Store sucked for years. I am not saying we give Epic years to get in line, but you have to allow them time to improve expand and invest more in the store and the support for it.

12. Post
    Kog wrote:
    Agreed, they're choosing to compete based on holding 3rd party games for ransom rather than features. Epic isn't a small or poor company and reportedly this plan to launch a Epic Games retail store with 3rd party content has been in place for years.

Feature-wise, Epic's end user client is lacking compared to the competition.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c6f5ddfe1c1b943354ff043b4f9f43665f058fa114c298838190c555e94813d5.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	224898

Anyway the message to Valve is clear: They need to drop their percentage from 30% to 10-11% to complete with Epic otherwise they'll see more lucrative AAA partners jumping ship.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 30th January 2019 at 5:38 pm.

13. Post
    Why the **** does it have to be exclusive.

14. Post
    bzE wrote:
    Why the **** does it have to be exclusive.
    They want people to buy it from the Epic store, and most people would buy it from Steam (or a retailer who sells Steam keys) if it wasn't an exclusive.

15. Post
    meh... will just wait a year.

16. Post
    When Steam came out everyone hated it but we needed to have it to play CS

17. Post
    Bt wrote:
    When Steam came out everyone hated it but we needed to have it to play CS
    This is true.

18. Post
    the epic store doesnt even have a search button lmao

3 billion in profit last year wasnt it? what a joke

19. Post
    NaCh0 wrote:
    the epic store doesnt even have a search button lmao

3 billion in profit last year wasnt it? what a joke
    You need a search button for their less than 30 titles? Again, I expect features to be added over time and as needed. If not, then mock away but come on.

20. Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hu73q9bz6hd21.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	224907

21. Post
    Where is your witcher 3 shortcut?

22. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    You need a search button for their less than 30 titles? Again, I expect features to be added over time and as needed. If not, then mock away but come on.
    Yeah titles that are scatted on one page. If it was in an alphabetical list then yeah ok, but releasing it without a search button is poor. A search function should have been one of the first features when they programmed/designed the UI.

23. Post
    yeahboiwahoo wrote:
    Where is your witcher 3 shortcut?
    GOG Galaxy

24. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Because all the comprable infrastructure, process, policy, and logistics can be created instantly from nothing right? Common sense please. How about giving them the change to build the store out. Origin sucked for years. Ubi Store sucked for years. I am not saying we give Epic years to get in line, but you have to allow them time to improve expand and invest more in the store and the support for it.
    This logic doesn't make sense to me.

You're right, all the comprable infrastructure, process, policy, and logistics aren't magically created out of thin air in an instant, but this is a company that knows how to serve games, backed by a large Chinese company whose existence is based on internet technologies. They should be able to do better, a lot better, than start with what they currently have.

And even if other store fronts did take years to build out their feature set, they are there now for Epic Games to model their own client around, and even make improvements, but that hasn't happened. At all.

I'm all for competition but competition in the form of throwing money at companies for exclusive rights is, imo, harmful for the industry as a whole.

25. Post
    mintyOnion wrote:
    I don't see salt, what is this clickbait drama title for?

That is a genuinely a dick move, should've just opted out of Steam from the get go.
    Exactly they used steam and store front for advertising to steams larger audience and then pull out, I can understand why steam is a bit upset about getting used.